KernelEx 4.5.2

I am surprised you did manage to get the converter working with 0.9.5.6 since I am also running this build and had to replace the foo_converter component with the one from an older build to get this to work. CD playback is not working and this I could do nothing about since all older CD components that were compatible with this version fail to detect the CD drives but this is no big deal. The open folder command is also not working but I have been able to replace that with the identical command of the third party foo_run component. Why I have settled with 0.9.5.6 is because no more recent build is able to build an album list database.

Finding components compatible with old versions can be very tricky and in some cases apparently nearly impossible even though they aren't that old, nonetheless by dowloading all sorts of foobar components packs and foobar mods I have been able to gather a lot of them who work with this version 0.9.5.6.

Let me know which component you are after and you can't find as I'll probably have it unless it is a newer one which did not exist yet at the time of 0.9.5.6 and will be hence unlikely compatible with it.

As for why 1.1 doesn't run, there is more to it than just heapqueryinformation such as encodepointer and decodepointer (and the same goes for most newly compiled components), MSVC2010 oblige. :angel

Edited by loblo

I am reporting a possible problem with kernelx core v 4.5.14 (latest rc4 I think). This on 98SE.

Attempting to run KMeleon 1.6preBeta. This works well under normal circumstances, however I am a user of Windows 95 shell and it fails during program launch in that configuration. This would mean that KEx is dependent on some part of Explorer.exe, Shell32.dll or Comdlg32.dll as these are the only files changed to switch shells. I don't know if KEx project is interested in being compatible with shell from '95, but I hope they are. I doubt this will be hard to correct although maybe the place to correct it is not in KEx. In any case would like to know what can be done about this.

Here's the dump of the failure:

K-MELEON caused an exception c06d007fH in module KEXBASEN.DLL at 0167:7d0143a5.

Registers:

EAX=0087f168 CS=0167 EIP=7d0143a5 EFLGS=00000246

EBX=00000000 SS=016f ESP=0087f130 EBP=0087f160

ECX=c1548560 DS=016f ESI=7d0185d8 FS=215f

EDX=8191aea4 ES=016f EDI=00690000 GS=0000

Bytes at CS:EIP:

8b 5d f8 8b 45 0c 89 18 a1 1c a9 01 7d 85 c0 74

Stack dump:

0087f884 00000001 80004005 00000024 7d0185d8 7d01a108 7d018400 00000001 7d0187ee 00690000 00000000 0000007f 0087f194 7d0127d0 0087f13c 7d01a108

I would be willing to put in time/effort/expertise to further debug this, just need instructions on how to find the dependency.

Thanks all.

I would like to try this newer version of Kernel EX , but I need some help.

The last version I tried caused a problem whereby I could neither e-mail nor print from Firefox 3 so I had to go back to Firefox 2 to solve the problem and LOST all my bookmarks, etc in Firefox 2 in the process forcing me to start over from scratch.

Does anyone know how I can save all my settings and revert back to Firefox 2 after upgrading to Firefox 3 if I have to uninstall Firefox 3 again?

Thanks,

John

EDIT: The new version of Kernel EX and Firefox 3 printing and e-mail seem to work fine. Thanks for the work you did for us.

Regards,

John

Edited by craftech

If you installed FF3 over FF2, that is, into the same folder it should keep your settings and migrate them to FF3. Since you didn't complain about it , I guess this is what happened. Maybe you then tried to install FF2 over FF3 ( into the same folder in other words ), since I have never done this, I can't say for sure, but maybe FF3 had some settings incompatible with FF2 and the "reverse migration" got messed up.

Now, it sounds like you recklessly did the same thing again, installing FF3 over FF2. Whenever you do this, you are deleting the previous installation, so there is no way to go back. What would have been smarter would have been to ask this question before installing FF3 and then someone could have told you to install it "side by side" with FF2, into its own folder. Then you could have easily gone back, in fact you would be able to choose FF2 or FF3 since you would have both. Let's hope you don't need to downgrade and then it won't matter anyway.

I have a suggestion on KernelEx.

HWMonitor from CPUID seems to have a Windows 9x version ( http://www.cpuid.com/downloads/hwmonitor/1.16-win98.zip ), but it does not work because of missing dependencies from setupapi.dll. However as I read in MSDN, this functions are implemented in Windows 98 but in another dll - cfgmgr32.dll. It seems that HWMonitor developers didn't do this step from MSDN.

"If you intend that your device installation application run on Windows 9x/Me, or Windows NT 4.0 or earlier, and you use the CM_Xxx functions, be sure that CfgMgr32.lib appears before SetupAPI.lib in the sources file. If your application is intended to run only on Windows 2000 or a later NT-based operating system, you can omit CfgMgr32.lib."

However may be you can add references to cfgmgr32.dll functions into setupapi.dll, like the references to unicows.dll. This is HWMonitor bug, but maybe this will be useful for some other apps that do not intend to support Windows 9x and need these API?

@M()zart:

I tried running HWMonitor 1.16 and verified that it gives the following error:

The HWMONITOR.EXE file is linked to missing export SETUPAPI.DLL:CM_Get_DevNode_Registry_PropertyA.

Interestingly, HWMonitor Pro 1.10 (for Win98) loads without error. As you stated, this is probably some sloppy coding on their part. Did you notify them about the error?

I am surprised you did manage to get the converter working with 0.9.5.6 since I am also running this build and had to replace the foo_converter component with the one from an older build to get this to work. CD playback is not working and this I could do nothing about since all older CD components that were compatible with this version fail to detect the CD drives but this is no big deal. The open folder command is also not working but I have been able to replace that with the identical command of the third party foo_run component. Why I have settled with 0.9.5.6 is because no more recent build is able to build an album list database.

Finding components compatible with old versions can be very tricky and in some cases apparently nearly impossible even though they aren't that old, nonetheless by dowloading all sorts of foobar components packs and foobar mods I have been able to gather a lot of them who work with this version 0.9.5.6.

Let me know which component you are after and you can't find as I'll probably have it unless it is a newer one which did not exist yet at the time of 0.9.5.6 and will be hence unlikely compatible with it.

As for why 1.1 doesn't run, there is more to it than just heapqueryinformation such as encodepointer and decodepointer (and the same goes for most newly compiled components), MSVC2010 oblige. :angel

Yes, same limitations. I am new to Foobar, so I had not notice. I was mostly looking for a GUI batch converter that used the latest Nero AAC transcoder and could reader FLAC. But a little practice with the program is beginning to impress me. I'll drop you a note if I get stuck with anything. Thanx.

If you installed FF3 over FF2, that is, into the same folder it should keep your settings and migrate them to FF3. Since you didn't complain about it , I guess this is what happened. Maybe you then tried to install FF2 over FF3 ( into the same folder in other words ), since I have never done this, I can't say for sure, but maybe FF3 had some settings incompatible with FF2 and the "reverse migration" got messed up.

Now, it sounds like you recklessly did the same thing again, installing FF3 over FF2. Whenever you do this, you are deleting the previous installation, so there is no way to go back. What would have been smarter would have been to ask this question before installing FF3 and then someone could have told you to install it "side by side" with FF2, into its own folder. Then you could have easily gone back, in fact you would be able to choose FF2 or FF3 since you would have both. Let's hope you don't need to downgrade and then it won't matter anyway.

I have both Firefox 2 and 3 on my PC. When Firefox 3 was already started and I try to start Firefox 2, it opens another FF3 window instead. But when FF3 wasn't started yet since Windows booted, I can still start FF2. It only complains about some incompatible plugins and may re-register some file types. So far I remember, FF2 can read the bookmarks and many settings of FF3 (and will automatically copy them to its own directory??).

But since I don't use FF2 anymore, I can't guarantee that it won't misinterpret or finally choke on entries it can't understand and thus may finally corrupt the FF3 database or registry files in nasty ways.

I have both Firefox 2 and 3 on my PC. When Firefox 3 was already started and I try to start Firefox 2, it opens another FF3 window instead. But when FF3 wasn't started yet since Windows booted, I can still start FF2.

yes, this is normal, only one FF can run at a one time, especially because they are referenceing the same bookmarks. things would get really screwed if you could run them simultaneously.

It only complains about some incompatible plugins and may re-register some file types. So far I remember, FF2 can read the bookmarks and many settings of FF3 (and will automatically copy them to its own directory??).

But since I don't use FF2 anymore, I can't guarantee that it won't misinterpret or finally choke on entries it can't understand and thus may finally corrupt the FF3 database or registry files in nasty ways.

Well, I don't know the details for certain, but I will guess that FF3 copies profiles from FF2 when it installs and clones them. I don't think FF2 ever would look at FF3 data unless they are sharing a profile. If they are in separate folders, they probably are not. But I'm not an expert on FF, and perhaps you have set them up to share the profile without your knowledge.

That would explain how FF2 eventually came to reject or not be able to find your profile last time you installed. I would recommend you ask these questions in a FF forum, this has nothing to do with KernelEx.

New version (3.0) of CCleaner was released by Piriform. It could be installed but it doesn't run complaining about OS (setting Compatiblity Tab for Windows XP/2000 doesn't help).

Btw, I would like to have a chance to use their Defraggler - it's a good tool IMO.

If I remember correctly there is way how to return back to FF2 and restore bookmarks.

FF3 uses different file to save bookmarks, but there is possibility to force FF3 save bookmarks also in FF2 format. Go to about:config and change this value Browser.bookmarks.autoExportHTML to true.

Here you can read more:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Browser.bookmarks.autoExportHTML

I would like to try this newer version of Kernel EX , but I need some help.

The last version I tried caused a problem whereby I could neither e-mail nor print from Firefox 3 so I had to go back to Firefox 2 to solve the problem and LOST all my bookmarks, etc in Firefox 2 in the process forcing me to start over from scratch.

Does anyone know how I can save all my settings and revert back to Firefox 2 after upgrading to Firefox 3 if I have to uninstall Firefox 3 again?

Thanks,

John

EDIT: The new version of Kernel EX and Firefox 3 printing and e-mail seem to work fine. Thanks for the work you did for us.

Regards,

John

Bug-Report: FlashBlock 1.5.14.2 does not install.

I just tried to update it from FlashBlock 1.5.14.1 on Firefox 3.6.12, but the plugin refused to install. There was only a message in the Add-Ons menu that it will install after Firefox restarts, but it stayed there even after several restarts including a reboot. So I uninstalled the faulty update, which made it return to version 1.5.14.1 that still seems to work.

What is happening with the Firefox update? I am trying to update from 3.6.11 to 3.6.12 and when Firefox tries to restart and install the update it fails because it says another instance of Firefox is running and it couldn't be installed. Works on my Windows XP computer.

Is there a different method?

Thanks,

John

EDIT: OK, it worked. For some reason the update program doesn't actually automatically shut down Firefox on my W98SE computer when it goes to install the update like it does on my Windows XP computer. When I manually closed Firefox and then manually restarted it, it installed the update just fine. Strange.

Edited by craftech