KernelEx 4.5.2

Okay, here is one more bug I found in Gimp. I hope it is the last one...

But it's a rather big bug making the Gimp crash..

It appears from version 2.6.8 to "now", those are the versions where you have to replace the libgio-2.0-0.dll... Version 2.6.7 is ok.

And this is how to produce it:

Open a new drawing. Just below the painting-area is a "zoom-menu". Just try ,lets say, 67(%) and hit enter. Tadaaa, a crash. And this is what it returns (in win2000-mode):

GIMP-2 führte eine ungültige Anweisung in <--"an invalid instruction"

Modul GIMP-2.6.EXE bei 0177:00726294 aus.

Register:

EAX=00000000 CS=0177 EIP=00726294 EFLGS=00010287

EBX=00000000 SS=017f ESP=010bee70 EBP=ffffffe2

ECX=00000003 DS=017f ESI=00000064 FS=584f

EDX=0073be48 ES=017f EDI=00000010 GS=0000

Bytes bei CS:EIP:

66 0f d6 84 24 b8 00 00 00 0f 4e 7c 24 64 df ac

Stapelwerte:

01baf900 010d0088 03b008bc ffffffff 010bee64 010beec4 7d00968c 010d0084 03b007b4 00000000 00000040 050f8bb6 2a52074a 0000017f 000000a2 00000002

Can this be solved somehow?!? And, of course, can someone confirm that?!

I just noticed that this doesn't occur in the japanese version ( http://en.sourceforge.jp/projects/gimp-painter/releases/ ). It runs fine and readable..

One doesn't even have to do the "libgio-2.0-0.dll"-trick.

But instead there is a 4-number-code where a space should be in the "zoom-menu".

I guess this can be solved easily, but I don't know how..

Edited by FlippX

Okay, here is one more bug I found in Gimp. I hope it is the last one...

But it's a rather big bug making the Gimp crash..

It appears from version 2.6.8 to "now", those are the versions where you have to replace the libgio-2.0-0.dll... Version 2.6.7 is ok.

And this is how to produce it:

Open a new drawing. Just below the painting-area is a "zoom-menu". Just try ,lets say, 67(%) and hit enter. Tadaaa, a crash. And this is what it returns (in win2000-mode):

GIMP-2 führte eine ungültige Anweisung in <--"an invalid instruction"

Modul GIMP-2.6.EXE bei 0177:00726294 aus.

Register:

EAX=00000000 CS=0177 EIP=00726294 EFLGS=00010287

EBX=00000000 SS=017f ESP=010bee70 EBP=ffffffe2

ECX=00000003 DS=017f ESI=00000064 FS=584f

EDX=0073be48 ES=017f EDI=00000010 GS=0000

Bytes bei CS:EIP:

66 0f d6 84 24 b8 00 00 00 0f 4e 7c 24 64 df ac

Stapelwerte:

01baf900 010d0088 03b008bc ffffffff 010bee64 010beec4 7d00968c 010d0084 03b007b4 00000000 00000040 050f8bb6 2a52074a 0000017f 000000a2 00000002

Can this be solved somehow?!? And, of course, can someone confirm that?!

I just noticed that this doesn't occur in the japanese version ( http://en.sourceforge.jp/projects/gimp-painter/releases/ ). It runs fine and readable..

One doesn't even have to do the "libgio-2.0-0.dll"-trick.

But instead there is a 4-number-code where a space should be in the "zoom-menu".

I guess this can be solved easily, but I don't know how..

Well use the "japanese" version if you can't cope with this crash and live with the very minor cosmetic issue of the zoom box no? :angel

I must be really retarded but how does this program work? I've downloaded and installed it but don't see where the program is. Help? Thanks alot!

It's not a program, just a bunch of dlls which you'll see using a process viewer by looking at the dlls used by programs on your rig and you've got now an additional property sheet tab for each 32bit executable files (exe, dll, ocx, etc..) where you can set up individual preferences as to how each of those files is handled by KernelEx. :hello:

Edited by loblo

Here is a hunch: I run w98SE and KernelEX RC3 worked fine for some days; some noncritical errors popped up later and I de-installed and reinstalled several times. Now, I used Norton 2000 and had more than 600 dll errors (I had done some java, ooffice, flashplayer installs and deinstalls too).

Can it be that by deinstalling, kernelex or the others take some (shared?) dll's out that are needed? The registry seemed to get messed up (had some corruption too). Can this have caused the invalid page faults in explorer (or whenever you right click)?

RC2 & RC3 have a bug that causes various programs to crash, so it might confuse Norton as well. To fix crashes install 4.5 RC1 release and forget about RC2 & RC3 for now. Your registry corruption has unlikely anything to do with KernelEx.

I must be really retarded but how does this program work? I've downloaded and installed it but don't see where the program is. Help? Thanks alot!

You're not retarded; it's just that the program is mostly invisible. The big difference is that some programs will run that wouldn't run on "vanilla" Win98; e.g. Firefox 3.5.

The only other thing you're likely to see is if you right-click on a 32-bit program (or a shortcut to it) and click "properties," there's a new "compatibility" tab on the properties dialog. You can use this to disable KernelEx for that program if it runs in vanilla Win98 but won't run after installing KernelEx; or to customize whether Windows will look like Win2K, WinXP, etc., to the program.

Firefox 3.6.9 and 3.6.10 do not load background images while browsing web pages.

Firefox 3.6.8 or 4.0 beta 6 are OK.

My Firefox 3.6.10 runs fine with KernelEx 4.5 RC3. May you have disabled something in settings or additional spamfilter? Check if you have your background picts on the browser's image block list.

Firefox 3.6.9 and 3.6.10 do not load background images while browsing web pages.

Firefox 3.6.8 or 4.0 beta 6 are OK.

Hi all,

same for me with the KernelEX 4.5 RC2 version :(

I've had the same problem with the betas of the 3.6.4 and I have found an issue with extracting the "xul.dll" from the 3.6.3 version and replace it in the Firefox program files folder;

So for the 3.6.10 version, I take the 3.6.11pre nightly (zip version here : http://ftp.mozilla.o...lla-1.9.2-l10n/) and extract "xul.dll" and replace it in the 3.6.10 folder and this work :)

Edited by patclash

KernelEx v4.5 RC 4

Release announcement

This new release is supposed to cure critical issues present in two previous release candidate releases as well as improve compatibility with Mozilla Firefox and Opera browsers.

What's new:

• Fixed: missing background colors and images in Mozilla Firefox 3.6.9/3.6.10
  • Fixed: MSIMG32 warning and menu icon transparency issues in Opera 10.62
  • Fixed: crashes introduced in RC 3
  • KernelEx auxiliary libraries weren't loaded when full path to system file was passed in call to LoadLibary

Includes changes from RC 2

KernelEx home page: http://kernelex.sourceforge.net/

Download: http://sourceforge.net/projects/kernelex/files/

Just had to drop a note here...this is shaping up

to be one of the most stable releases yet. Several

freaky problems I was having are vanished. Kudos to

Xeno and Tihiy. Thanks guys....

Jake

Now I'm down to 2 fav programs that don't

play nice with newer version of RP9

Just had to drop a note here...this is shaping up

to be one of the most stable releases yet. Several

freaky problems I was having are vanished. Kudos to

Xeno and Tihiy. Thanks guys....

I agree it's an excellent relase - very stable and no problem at all.

Thank you so much for it Xeno and Tihiy! :thumbup

It seems Google Picasa 3.6 works better, now. But, still, there are some problems left. The settings dialog works in general. There are no error messages, and the options are displayed, at last. But for some reason drop down lists are not working. Luckily it is possible to change values with keyboard up and down arrow keys.

- the default KernelEX compatibility mode

Everything seems to be working fine, except for the language selection option. For some reason this drop down list is disabled. The language is always set to english.

- Windows 2000 and XP KernelEX compatibility mode

The language selection drop down list is active, so it is possible to change the language. Also the default setting is "system default language". On the other hand, it is necesary to walk through initial settings dialogs (search folder selection and extension selection) every time the Picasa starts. Also there are some problems with built in Picasa folder exploration.

I have run into a small problem with this new version that was not occurring before. I use XMPlay v3.5.1 on my Win 98SE notebooks. This has happen on three notebooks when I have installed KEx v4.5 RC 4. I use the WAModern skin (does not happen with the "default" skin) and after installing the new version of KernelEx, when I open XMPlay a Font warning box pops up first saying:

Font warning:

This skin uses font(s) that you do not have installed, so it will probably not look correct.

ZADO (replaced with TAHOMA)

TRANSISTOR (replaced with TAHOMA)

PIX4 (replaced with SMALL FONTS)

PROFONTWINDOWS (replaced with MS Cerf)

-----------------------------------------------------

After I hit "OK" ... XMPlay will open and play OK. I found 3 of those "missing fonts" online for free downloads but cannot find the "PIX4" font anywhere. Now the Font warning box only pops up for that PIX4 font when I open XMPlay.

... I have had other versions of KernelEx installed with XMPlay with this WAModern skin and the Font warning box has never popped up till now. This may not be any fault with KernelEx, I don't know ... I have sent an e-mail to the WAModern skin developer ... Keltic Danor ... at XMPlay support but have had no reply to date. If someone here by chance knows him maybe you could give him a heads up on all this.

... Well, the font problem has been solved ... XMPlay support said the Fonts are in the WAModern source files at the XMPlay web site. I never thought about checking for source files ... so nothing wrong with KernelEx, just that this change happened with the newer version of KernelEx.

Edited by duffy98