How to install Windows from USB- WinSetupFromUSB with GUI

Thank you for this great utility. I'm having some problems though and would like your opinion about what's going wrong.

I use a 500GB USB harddisk with two partitions. First is a 30GB NTFS partition which holds all the files for this project. I put a dutch Windows XP SP3 and an english Windows 2003 Ent SP2 on there with your lovely tool. Booting works fine and I can start the installers, it will begin to load the files for installation but after that ("Setup is starting Windows...") it gives an error that it cannot find a keyboard file. This is both on the XP and 2k3. I have ofcourse checked the files and they are both present and work when trying to use them from CD-boot. For XP it cannot find KBDUSX.DLL and for 2003 the file is KBDUS.DLL. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks!

Edited by thys

I'm back with "new" problem, i always use the last beta.

I use a usb pendrive 16GB parted with 4 partitions.

When i deploy a BartPE on the first partition, the system boot. If i use any other partition with same filesystem ( FAT or NTFS ), i've a BSOD (07b) ... :( it's a problem with my filesystem ? partition method ? drivers ?

Same problem with my XP install, after the first blue page with driver charging, "wait black screen" , and same BSOD ...

always on NO first Partition.

an Idea plz ?

Ps: if you want , i can use googletranslator for my craps english ;) .

edit: it possibly my bios ... but on my laptop native usb2 Dell D630 and on my destop with msi neo-combo2 motheboard, it's same problem... i've try change the bios option : Hypertheading, multi CPU usage ... always BSOD.

Edited by karnox

I'm back with "new" problem, i always use the last beta.I use a usb pendrive 16GB parted with 4 partitions.When i deploy a BartPE on the first partition, the system boot. If i use any other partition with same filesystem ( FAT or NTFS ), i've a BSOD (07b) ... :( it's a problem with my filesystem ? partition method ? drivers ?Same problem with my XP install, after the first blue page with driver charging, "wait black screen" , and same BSOD ...always on NO first Partition.an Idea plz ?Ps: if you want , i can use googletranslator for my craps english ;) .edit: it possibly my bios ... but on my laptop native usb2 Dell D630 and on my destop with msi neo-combo2 motheboard, it's same problem... i've try change the bios option : Hypertheading, multi CPU usage ... always BSOD.

Since you are using multi partitioned USB stick you must be using some filter driver, such as Hitachi microdrive filter driver or dummydisk.sys, right?

Same drivers should be used, or Windows Setup / BartPE won't see anything but the first partition, hence the BSOD, refer to this topic:

What version of the program did you use?
I used the last version from the first post: 1.0 beta6

Please zip and attach the following files:

txtsetup.sif from the small ISO file in \WINSETUP directory on the USB stick ( ISO file name varies according to your source, just pick one)

txtsetup.sif from \WINSETUP\XPpSP3\I386\ ( XPpSP3 varies according to your source, just pick the same name as the ISO file you got the other txtsetup.sif)

WinSetupFromUSB.log from program's directory or the \backups folder in it.

Try also renaming \WINSETUP\XPpSP3\I386\migrate.inf to migrate.inf.bak in both sources and see if you get any further, reference:

Are you using original, not modified sources?

I use a usb pendrive 16GB parted with 4 partitions.
Windows dosn't support 4 partitions at a removable disk.

How did you created 4 partitions? Do you use a filter driver or set a fixed disk at firmeare?

When i deploy a BartPE on the first partition, the system boot. If i use any other partition with same filesystem ( FAT or NTFS ), i've a BSOD (07b)
If you use a removable disk, add the filter driver to BartPE too http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?s=&showtopic=21113&view=findpost&p=142544
Same problem with my XP install, after the first blue page with driver charging, "wait black screen" , and same BSOD ...always on NO first Partition.
The same problem cause the same result.

Yes, i'm using Dummydisk.sys, but it's from Windows already on my computer, for use Winsetupfromusb. And i don't know how to integrate this driver in my Bart or Win setup on the usb stick . I check it :)

Thanks.

edit: @cbod

I already read this thread, but i don't understand how to add the filter in BartPE ... and idem for WinXP ...

i've never used cfadisk ... I've understand all step , but i need generic filter if possible. Dummy is perfect for me, but i need training skill :P

Any .cab plugin for BartPE exist with generic cfadisk ?

Another question : cfadisk work for x64 system ?

Edited by karnox

I already read this thread, but i don't understand how to add the filter in BartPE ... and idem for WinXP ...

i've never used cfadisk ... I've understand all step , but i need generic filter if possible. Dummy is perfect for me, but i need training skill :P

Any .cab plugin for BartPE exist with generic cfadisk ?

Another question : cfadisk work for x64 system ?

cfadisk.sys is "as generic" as dummydisk.sys is.

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=126868

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=126868&st=12

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=22541

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=8752

Of course they won't work for x64.

Cannot remember if someone ever compiled either of them for 64 bit. :unsure:

jaclaz

txtsetup.sif from the small ISO file in \WINSETUP directory on the USB stick ( ISO file name varies according to your source, just pick one)

txtsetup.sif from \WINSETUP\XPpSP3\I386\ ( XPpSP3 varies according to your source, just pick the same name as the ISO file you got the other txtsetup.sif)

Try also renaming \WINSETUP\XPpSP3\I386\migrate.inf to migrate.inf.bak in both sources and see if you get any further, reference:

First I tried to slipstream SP3 and some other updates. After that didn't work I tried the unmodified MSDN SP2 ISO image which gives the same error. Both images work fine when burning it to a CD.

I attached the files you asked, do you have any idea? Renaming the migrate.inf did not change anything. Thanks!

files.rar

I am having an issue using getting things to work properly here using WinSetupFromUSB 1.0 beta 6. I created an image using nLite 1.4.9.1 based on a Dell Windows XP SP3 CD that came with our latest build of computer we ordered from Dell at our company.

Steps taken during the nLite process;

-Hotfixes, Add-ons and Update Packs: I ran the XP install from the Dell XPSP3 CD and did one round of windows updates, used WinUpdatesList to get a complete list and downloaded them and packed them in. I also used 3 addons; OnePiece_IE8, .NET 2.0SP2, .NET 3.0SP2 & .NET 3.5SP1.

-Drivers: NIC driver for the Optiplex 760 I'm using as a test box.

-Unattend: The Dell CD had its own 'unattend', but I configured it to be completely unattended, requiring no input until the login screen. I also added a couple lines to the runonce section as follows;

1) MD %SYSTEMDRIVE%\PLANET

2) XCOPY %SOURCE%\EXTRAS\RUNONCE.CMD "%SYSTEMDRIVE%\PLANET" /E /Y

3) XCOPY %SOURCE%\EXTRAS\RUNONCE.LNK "%SYSTEMDRIVE%\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\ALL USERS\DESKTOP" /E /Y

(The runonce is to be ran once network connectivity is established to copy down a folder from a local share so once the system is deployed it has all the files we need to configure it to be tailored to it's environment.)

-Tweaks: Honestly too many to list, nothing marked as 'Advanced' though.

-Bootable ISO: Before creating the ISO, I click the 'Explore' button to add an \EXTRAS folder that contains a batch file, and a shortcut to the batch file to be copied over for the runonce. I also add the modified NTDETECT.COM to the \I386 folder, renaming the default one to 'NTDETECT.CD' (because I don't like overwriting things).

Steps taken to copy files from .ISO to USB;

-Mount .ISO using DaemonTools Lite (Z:).

-WinSetupFromUSB (1.0b6):

a. Bootice > Format NTFS > ProcessPBR > Grub4DOS

b. Windows 2000/XP/2003 Setup > Source = Z:

Install from CD Result: OK

Install from USB Result: File copy errors during TXT install.

I've tried different .ISO source files, seems that it starts getting file copy errors once I add components to the .ISO using nLite. Because if I just take the .ISO of the Dell XPSP3 and do my complete unnattend and tweaks, it works fine from both the CD and the USB key. Whereas if I add components, like IE8_OnePiece, or the .NET addons, I get file copy errors from the USB during the TXT install, but it works fine with the CD.

I just did a fresh run of this now and have attached the 'WinSetupFromUSB.log'. Standing by with additional information and for any files you would like me to .zip and upload somewhere to be checked out.

EDIT: Wouldn't you know, the day I decide take the time to post my issues its miraculously working. Since I've been having this issue for quite some time now (months) and I'm finally trying to address it and get help, I'm going to leave this post up in case this resurfaces.

WinSetupFromUSB.zip

Edited by deeksmooth

hello all,

Thanks for your help , my usb stick works fine now for bart and WinXPinstall from no-first partition :D

For some reason i've got rename dummydisk.sys to cfadisk.sys ... Anyway :)

Edit: Is there a similar solution to install win7/Vista from a USB drive partitioned in the same way?

Because if i copy my install file to no-first partition and run the install, i've the same problem as "baritone" ( first post to page 44 ).

Edited by karnox

First I tried to slipstream SP3 and some other updates. After that didn't work I tried the unmodified MSDN SP2 ISO image which gives the same error. Both images work fine when burning it to a CD.

I attached the files you asked, do you have any idea? Renaming the migrate.inf did not change anything. Thanks!

That's very weird.

I've just downloaded 2003 server trial German and Chinese Simplified versions:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/r2/trial/installinstruct.mspx?lc=1033

Tests in QEMU, using old 80GB hard disk with USB-IDE adapter, under XP SP2 English, 1.0 beta6 :

Cy0d2s.jpg

9hVgjs.jpg

Can you test your build in QEMU? Just run WinSetupFromUSB, select the USB disk and check "Test in QEMU" option to see if you get to the partitioning screen.

Added: Same positive result on real hardware- both sources loaded just fine to the partitioning screen.

I am having an issue using getting things to work properly here using WinSetupFromUSB 1.0 beta 6.

EDIT: Wouldn't you know, the day I decide take the time to post my issues its miraculously working. Since I've been having this issue for quite some time now (months) and I'm finally trying to address it and get help, I'm going to leave this post up in case this resurfaces.

Can you figure out what has changed meanwhile? I doubt it suddenly just started working fine, there must be something changed.

That's very weird.

I've just downloaded 2003 server trial German and Chinese Simplified versions:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/r2/trial/installinstruct.mspx?lc=1033

Tests in QEMU, using old 80GB hard disk with USB-IDE adapter, under XP SP2 English, 1.0 beta6 :

Can you test your build in QEMU? Just run WinSetupFromUSB, select the USB disk and check "Test in QEMU" option to see if you get to the partitioning screen.

Added: Same positive result on real hardware- both sources loaded just fine to the partitioning screen.

That's very weird indeed. I just tested in QEMU and no error there. I will try different real PC's tomorrow to see if this is a specific problem with my hardware.

Thanks for you help so far and I will update with the results.

I am having an issue using getting things to work properly here using WinSetupFromUSB 1.0 beta 6.

Can you figure out what has changed meanwhile? I doubt it suddenly just started working fine, there must be something changed.

Sure thing, I'll check it out tomorrow in the office. I still have 'RevR' that I know didn't work the first time I tried it, and 'RevR2' did. The only differences if my memory serves me right is the 'compile' date/time. o.O

Sure thing, I'll check it out tomorrow in the office. I still have 'RevR' that I know didn't work the first time I tried it, and 'RevR2' did. The only differences if my memory serves me right is the 'compile' date/time. o.O

Please don't tell me you tried it on a friday in a month which name contains the letter "r" :ph34r:

That's obviously a no-no. ;)

:P

jaclaz