How to install Windows from USB- WinSetupFromUSB with GUI

If I missed this skimming through this thread my apologies, but is it possible to reuse a usb stick prepared with WinSetupfromUsb without redoing the source and boot files after completing an installation?

Yes, you can use your USB-stick for future installations without doing any special thing.

Edited by jaclaz

The reason I ask is that when I install from a hard drive, the ~BT and ~LS dirs are only temporary and eventually get deleted by setup when it's done with them. I would assume that this will also happen to the USB stick if I install from that. Is there a way around this so that I can use it over again just like a CD?

The "idea" is right, but ways were found to avoid the deleting. :thumbup

A prepared stick can be re-used any number of times. :)

If you are interested in the "HOW it's done", take some time reading the "historical thread:

http://www.msfn.org/board/boot-install-usb-key-t61384.html

Some other info/ideas are in these threads:

http://www.msfn.org/board/win-nt-bt-can-om...03.html&hl=

http://www.msfn.org/board/move-xatsp-and-x...28.html&hl=

Hi All!

Is it possible to install WinXP from 16Gb USB-flash?

I had successfully installed this OS from 4Gb and 8Gb USB-flash, but can't do this from 16Gb :wacko:

Which "symptoms" do you have on the 16 Gb?

First thing that comes to mind is that you are going over the CHS boundary when going over 8 Gb.

Is it a problem of booting the stick?

Which filesystem are you using?

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Which "symptoms" do you have on the 16 Gb?

WinSetupFromUSB say that it couldn't backup MBR.

Is it a problem of booting the stick?

no, I couldn't even place a WinXP distributive to it (see my first answer)

Which filesystem are you using?

FAT32

I have tried NTFS and it worked! Thank you for your helping question!

FAT32

I have tried NTFS and it worked! Thank you for your helping question!

Happy it worked :), though cannot say WHY. :unsure:

Maybe I got it right (by chance), but there seems to be a misunderstanding.

The NTFS vs. FAT32 should work IF the stick had been partitioned properly and formatted with FAT32 AND it did not boot properly.

The:

WinSetupFromUSB say that it couldn't backup MBR.

Sounds more like a stick formatted as superfloppy (i.e. not partitioned).

If it now works with NTFS, it should work as well if re-formatted as FAT32.

In case:

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?...=8528&st=21

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

btw. fyi - the problem with grubinst.exe and not being able to backup the boot sector is probably happening when one has too many harddrives.

the grubinst seems to be able to only handle harddrives 0-9 and not 10. at least that was the problem for me - worked like a charm on my notebook and not on my desktop pc where the usb stick was hd10.

btw. fyi - the problem with grubinst.exe and not being able to backup the boot sector is probably happening when one has too many harddrives.

the grubinst seems to be able to only handle harddrives 0-9 and not 10. at least that was the problem for me - worked like a charm on my notebook and not on my desktop pc where the usb stick was hd10.

Yes :), this is documented:

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=5897

(but it should have been fixed) :unsure:

Are you sure you are using latest version? (Limit should be 20 now)

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Ok, i installed the latest version of winsetupfromusb. I extracted files from windowsxp iso file to a folder [WINXP]. I think first i need to format my usb with the use of rmprepusb, but what options do i have to choose? Is this ok?:

Hsnap15-10-2009-162018.png

Edited by dumble

Ok, i installed the latest version of winsetupfromusb. I extracted files from windowsxp iso file to a folder [WINXP]. I think first i need to format my usb with the use of rmprepusb, but what options do i have to choose? Is this ok?:

Yes. :)

(if you want a NTFS partition)

On a small stick FAT16 will do allright, anyway.

NTFS is faster:

http://www.msfn.org/board/fat16-vs-fat32-v...ck-t125116.html

but increases the numbers of write cycles, taht should not be a problem for a USB stick that is used only for install, however.

jaclaz

Ok bit confused,

I made a couple of request for help posts, that got deleted... with no explanation as to why.

Have I offended someone by asking for help?

edit: doh, that will teach me to wahct the whole forum, not just one thread ;o) Posts got split out.

Edited by mjphelan

Ok bit confused,

I made a couple of request for help posts, that got deleted... with no explanation as to why.

Have I offended someone by asking for help?

edit: doh, that will teach me to wahct the whole forum, not just one thread ;o) Posts got split out.

Yep, I tend to split help requests that I foresee (even without my crystall ball ;)) won't be resolved in one single reply or two, to keep the present thread as "general" as possible and have as many "specific" threads as possible, so that info is easier to find later or by other users that may get the same problem.

jaclaz

Hey all!

I got some problem there, everything is okay till I get the "select partition menu".

It just shows my USB Stick, it doesn't show the others one, the C: which got Windows Seven and D: which has all my data and documents.

I tried everything, edditing boot.ini but it's still showing just the USB Stick Partition.

Can anyoby help me?

Thanks for all!