Windows 7 Wishlist!

Legolash2o

I agree on most of your suggestions, nice ones!

These ones in particular:

-The ability to choose exactly which components to install, both during and before (=like nLite/vLite) the installation would be a really great feature.

-A "gaming mode" where most system resources are freed up for use by games and features they need.

-A more customizable system and easy to do it.

I would like to see a more powerful Explorer (file manager), with many features currently found in 3rd party tools. Since an OS needs a great file manager (and every single OS has one), they probably won't be in trouble for making it the best there is.

• 2 weeks later...

i too suggested for pre/on -install components selection.

but the reason for its removal from XP betas onwards is to reduce the no. of Options to the end user, which obiviously make more confusion to an *ORDIANRY* end user. (more choice more confusion)

its better 4 m$ to have the same with sme install switches which shows the component selection.

(Let me start out by saying that I mean absolutely NO disrespect to anyone here, but instead dedicate this to all of those who are tired of all of the "my XP is better that your Vista, and my Vista can do more than your XP" garbage!)

What I would really like to see most in the next version of Windows, is a version of Windows that is more widely accepted and not criticized every chance people get because it is different.

To do that, it would have to be stable enough to figure out pi to the one-billionth decimal while I play a game and download from a torrent site at the same time, use NO memory and be able to run on a 333MHz processor while giving back emulated DX10 graphics on a GeForce2 MX400 video card (so nobody can complain).

The newest version of Windows also must be perfect so that NO patches are required for it later on, unlike all of the current version of Windows and even MAC. It also must be free so I don't have to pay anything for it.

OK, there you have it. My ideal look ahead of what the next version of should be like. (Hey, you asked.)

I recall reading that Vista will suspend certain services when in full screen DX mode.

To an extent, but Vista was supposed to be shipped with a 'game mode' that completely unloaded DWM and every nonessential service while in full screen DX mode.

The newest version of Windows also must be perfect so that NO patches are required for it later on,

That will never become a reality. There isn't any software that exists that is bug free. There never will be.

I have three wishes for 7...

• An option to install a core version of the OS with optional/additional components as I see fit. I don't need a one size fits all OS.
  • Complete virtualization of legacy apps code. Why have legacy code for Windows 1.01 apps? Or for OS/2 Presentation Manager apps?
  • Registry Virtualization. Keep a central registry for hardware and OS settings, but completely virtualize the registry entries that 3rd party apps create and store those in the install folder of the application. Delete the folder for quick and easy program removal and no junk left behind.

• 4 weeks later...
Registry Virtualization. Keep a central registry for hardware and OS settings, but completely virtualize the registry entries that 3rd party apps create and store those in the install folder of the application. Delete the folder for quick and easy program removal and no junk left behind.

That's a great idea. i miss having all the settings in .ini files from win311

• 3 weeks later...

ME is pretty functional if you know how to handle it. As for vista... oh well, don't get me started.

What i'd like to see in the next windoze:

Display Properties and Add/Remove programs applets back to their good old shape they had in XP

The ability to choose between classic, XP-style and vista-style start menu

Better compatibility

Aero interface fully working (ie not reverting to basic all the time) and using up less resources

Faster boot time

Less indexing garbage, fewer useless services

Fix the "music-slows-down-network" thing in vista.

But can't it be smaller and more portable.Because windows vista is very slow in loading and a bit difficult for users to operate.How much space is kernel using?Will MinWin work well.Because kernel of windows vista is said to be alot better than windows xp in operating.And size of windows xp kernel is less than vista

• 2 weeks later...

To sum up everything that is actually neede is to let user be able to customize the kernel itself as well as ability to choose what is installed, down the the smallest .ico file. When MS release update for kernel, its updated on the individual packages needed to build the kernel.

A bit gentoo style but at 2009/20010 whenever, that isnt a problem nor is it today imho.

Oddly enough, I wish there was a classic theme like windows 9X/2000. I know XP has a classic theme exactly like 9X/2000, and I know Vista also has the look of it... but it's messed it up completely in Vista. I like adding functionality to existing stuff, not rearranging things I already know.

Maybe the ability to customize the GUI would get me what I want.

also, how about it actually uses less ram than vista

Seeing the dropping prices of RAM, there`s no excuse for anyone to have less then 2 GB of RAM in their rigs...

Yeah im tired of hearing that excuse too. Im just glad Vista isnt as dumb as XP about memory usage. I hated having 2GB of ram but XP wouldnt even use a third of it before dumping everything in the PF.

If anything I hope windows 7 uses MORE ram -it'll drive the market away from x86 and x64 might see some decent attention from the OEMs. Think about it - if 7 recommends 3gb ram(hypothetically) then the OEMs wont be able to sell much in the way of memory upgrades so they might start defaulting to x64 OSes installed. Once every Ma & Pa PCbuyer are running x64 because thats what came on their PC, they will expect hardware and software to be supported on their PC and x86 will go the way of the dodo.