SP1...safe to use again?

dcyphure

8 months or so ago i had a theory that all the exploits for sp1 would have been nulled or weened out for the most part...i believe most exploiters have moved on to sp2 stuff and all previous ones were likely weened out by antiviruses,server upgrades and more pple using sp2

i tested it using sp1 without any fixes nor firewall and stayed online for days and of course general surfing,downloading..etc. and not one virus nor any problems whatsoever

of course i went back to sp2 ever since that time

tired of reinstalling xp lately..minor issues, atm its game performance problems..it keeps getting worse and its not driver related.

i'm thinking of going back to sp1 for a while, might not matter but again it might.

so i'm curious

how many of you agree with my theory that sp1 is safe to use again or safer?

all i know is ever since i used sp2, theres always some kind of problem i cant fix..i never had to reinstall sp1 like i do sp2, i do it now like once a month compared to once a year on sp1

thats why i ask

i use image programs so it wouldnt be difficult if i actually did get a virus but only virus any pc i've ever had got was the blaster worm which seems to have been mostly nulled out

I'm with gdogg on this one as well... I believe SP2 is there for a reason athough it may be transparent to the user it'd still be best to have SP2 over SP1. And if your reinstalling SP2 every month... I think you may have bigger problems.

I'm with gdogg on this one as well... I believe SP2 is there for a reason athough it may be transparent to the user it'd still be best to have SP2 over SP1. And if your reinstalling SP2 every month... I think you may have bigger problems.

everyone has pc problems and all can differ, it can be in relation to installed apps/drivers..etc

mines not usually the same all the time...for instance with sp2 i've gotten video driver bsod...didnt get that on sp1, ya know things like that.

doesnt hurt to try something different on a pc if one way doesnt work for ya...i'm sure you've done many things different on pc's before right

Agreed. SP2 is rock solid.

guess you dont recall all the millions of posts of people complaing about sp2 problems a while back, not as much now cuz many appz and drivers had been fixed to better suit it...but that doesnt mean its perfect on every system

but nevermind, i installed it to 2nd partition to test out to be sure and see how it goes, so far oblivion and godfather run like they should and no bsod's that i had on other, i'll use this for a while, its not like theres anything on my hdrive i cant afford to lose or nothin

I think SP2 is safer.

It is more than a big security and bugfix rollup. It contains changes to RPC, turning what may be exploited in 2000 SP4 and XP SP0/1 remotely into a local exploit or no issue at all in SP2. Then there is Data Execution Protection.. may work well as software-only but is better with a 64-bit CPU.

There are other steps you can take as well.. for one, not using an administrator or power user account for internet tasks ("Users" group is the one to use).

Edited by redxii

the SP2 installer did cause huge amounts of problems for ppl when they were upgrading over there already installed SP1, SP1 for me was nothing but a pile of sh*te with constant freezing and crashing. if you have SP2 slippstreamed with all the latest hotfixes into the install cd you shouldnt get any problems at all.

I vote for SP2 meself. But make sure your comp is clean of any possible malware or you will suffer from problems. SP2 from what I read was an entire recompile of the XP code to make sure that a lot of flaws were weeded out. Not only will you get a very stable OS because I dont remember the last time my XP crashed. Also if you are worried about performance hits, I have yet to experience any.

Never had to worry about viruses and spywares after installing SP2.

Believe me , running my comp. smoothly without any Anti - Virus.

SP2 , you got to have it man!!!

You having SP2 is not why you don't have any anti-virus. You can have SP10 and still get viruses. exploiters are always one step ahead of a security fix. Someone can easily download some junk off a p2p and get infected.

also in a sp1 internet explorer, just visiting a website can infect you with some nasty virus' when you dont got AV protection.

and in many cases, even if you have AV protection.

Edited by gdogg