[How-to] MicrowinX Project

gdogg

@gdogg:

More GOOD software requests for gdogg:

1. SilentNight Micro CD/DVD/ISO/AUDIO Burner v4.0.4 -> IMPORTANT! - get it ONLY from here: www.silentnight2004.com/Micro20.exe (all other download sites and links offer a reall old,crappy version)

(the most compact and lightweight cd/dvd burner ever,it's just sooo similar to the concept of uTorrent - extremely small,no installation,single .exe file).A perfect app for MicrowinX.Forget the big fat Nero,this thing is really MICRO! :)

2.Image for Windows (from Terabyte Unlimited) WITH the PHYLock and BINGBURN plugins - the smallest,lightest and very effective drive imaging program.Forget Norton Ghost and Acronis TrueImage,this one is so small but packs a punch,it makes you laugh :)

3. CryptoSuite from Ghost Security (encryption app)

Greetings,

This is the first time I have heard of MicrowinX and it seems like a really cool project. I have not been able to read through all 32 pages of this thread just yet so forgive me if this question has been answered already.

I am curious if your system seem faster and if so by how much. Also, how much faster does it boot?

Thanks,

-John

everything seems faster, it boots probbally 10-15 seconds faster vs very small nlite disk

but this is after lots of registry stuff, not yet included in beta 2

Edited by gdogg

everything seems faster, it boots probbally 10-15 seconds faster vs very small nlite disk

but this is after lots of registry stuff, not yet included in beta 2

One experiment that you might attempt is to run upx on some of the larger .exe and .dll files to see if this would speed things up even more. This would also decrease your disk footprint.

-John

Have you measured how long it takes to boot and how much RAM it uses without ghostwall or anything else? can you post a task manager pic and the time it takes to boot? (and another ServiWin html report)

(my nLited install uses only 48MB RAM with all drivers installed: audio,graphics,modem,LAN,motherboard IDE,MemCtrlr,GART and SMBus).That's with the standard explorer.exe shell running)

NOTE: I load the whole kernel and drivers in RAM,not paged to disk and I set the option run explorer and other stuff in separate processes.

It boots really fast,especially with /noguiboot and /noexecute flags added in the boot.ini

Boots really fast,considering it's on the outermost part of the hard drive on partition K:

Can your microwinX beat that with these settings? :)

(my install is really small,but \windows is about 220MB,too much junk)

P.S. I have to do some tests and benchmarking on this install

Edited by synth

One experiment that you might attempt is to run upx on some of the larger .exe and .dll files to see if this would speed things up even more. This would also decrease your disk footprint.

-John

I did that test many months ago and only few MS files get compressed correctly.

And for any speed gain, it's like any other compression program: smaller file but slower execution.

It don't worth to go there exept if you can live with an unstable system. :}

Two more software patch requests:

cFosSpeed - an AWESOME program which uses network shaping to increases your download speeds,reduces ping and latency of everything you do if you have a Broadband,Cable,DSL or ADSL PPPoE connection.

cFos - a driver for all types of modems,routers and whatnot with network shaping capability - it's even for dialup modems,too :)

www.cfos.de

just try this little app,and tell me if you have a largely reduced ping and higher response when playing games or using uTorrent while surfing.

Read this: http://www.cfos.de/traffic_shaping/traffic_shaping_e.htm

Edited by synth

very interesting find.

expect a week delay for beta 2.5, with 3 (first public beta) around the end of next month. But it will be very friendly for users, with hopefully alot of software support. Main thing is, if you want to use this later, request the software you want now. That way its ready for beta3 for you to get what you need done.

i can't wait to try out beta 3. assuming pppoe support is enabled! i hope :D

if it is, then i'll give it a shot.

i don't need theme support. the only services im expecting to run on beta 3 is network connections, remote access connection manager, telephony, audio serv and the rpc server.