WMP10 Complete Slipstream

I have the same problem.What I am saying is, if I run the original setup program MP10Setup.exe, check updates there is no updates.I have used that file for slipstreaming files are same.So that must be some kind of registry entry that triggers this I guess.I have usedregsht before and after and it found huge number of differences so I am clueless now :(

ok so i installed xp using a vlk xp with sp2. in rest nothing slipstreamed or removed. then installed wmp10 just downloaded from m$. start wmp and click update button. it did not report any updates. then closed wmp and i just restarted wmp . click update buuton and update found. so i dont think is registry settings or other stuff.

i did not use wmp slipstreamer or anything else. i said is ONLY from microsoft.

I have no idea why this happens, simply because I can't seem to reproduce the error :( but if it happens on a normal(i.e. install windows xp sp2 *clean* and install wmp10 the *normal* way) then maybey we should give Microsoft a call? :P

Only reason this could happen that I can think of is that the registry entry for the version number is "hard-coded" so to speak(on my part), but I'll look into adding a extra routine that searches the original <Mp10Setup.exe> file(aka wmp10.inf) for a version number and use that version number instead...

But please double check if this error only exists for you when using the slipstreamer(the same way boooggy suggested), else it may very well be a Windows Media Player bug.

@Suren: As soon as I figure out this new problem I'll be right on it...

Well its pretty easy to find out if its a registry key.

Simply:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MediaPlayer]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer]

Then relaunch WMP and it will be like you just installed it so have to run through setup.

Then see if it finds any updates.

So now if no updates then its a registry issue.

Run it a few times to make sure. ;)

I still can not reproduce this any more.

Oh and it should be:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\Setup\Installed Versions]

"wmp.dll"=hex:00,00,0a,00,3d,0f,00,00

"wmploc.dll"=hex:00,00,0a,00,da,0e,00,00

"wmplayer.exe"=hex:00,00,0a,00,da,0e,00,00

could you please add: Windows Media Bonus Pack for Windows XP on too your slipstreamer?

so i can slipstreame Windows Media Bonus Pack for Windows XP in too windows xp unattended thanx if you could :)

@kurt476: Hmm... I haven't seen the bonus pack yet, but I'll search for it and then check it out and if it's possible(should be) I'll add the option....

@Everyone: Does the bug concerning WMP10 update affect your player in away? If not then it's probably safe to ignore it, Windows Update should tell you if your player is out of date shouldn't it? :P

EDIT: Kurt, have you noticed that the bonus pack weighs in at 18MB :D and also adds to Windows Movie Maker?

EDIT2: Kurt that pack contains ALOT of content and slipstreaming it could really become a hassle, isn't it possible to install it using svcpack?

Uhm, I got a question for you mate.

I don't seem to have any extra plugins in the plugin menu. What does (or shoulod) the extra .ca_ (.cat) we put in svcpack dir do? How do I confirm they are all installed ok...? Becide just the player, that seems to work fine (other than the update bug)

@BoardBabe: Plugins -> I am currently using a Windows XP SP2 install with WMP10 installed the normal way and the only plugin I am seeing is the Nero plugin(I have nero installed) is there something I am missing? Are there supposed to be more plugins?

Catalog Files -> The extra .Cat files added to svcpack aren't *required* but without them the new Windows Media Player 10 files would not be recognized and protected by SFC (Windows File Protection). And Windows *might* complain about unrecognized files without them, I say might because I cannot confirm this as I haven't tested it.

EDIT: To check if the catalog files are correctly installed use Windows Explorer and navigate to <WINDOWS FOLDER>\System32\Catroot or <WINDOWS FOLDER>\System32\Catroot2 ... If the catalogs are present in one of the folders contained in catroot it's installed correctly.