Ntfs Support In Win98se Or Me?

Shadow_Fi

So the REAL answer to the earlier question of having "integrated" NTFS support in Windows 95, 98 & ME is NO!  Never going to happen cuz Microsoft has no plans whatsover to add NTFS support and Win98 & WinME are on extended support (aka. life support) 'til 6-30-2006.  MS is concentrating on XP & future Windows versions.

So for those who have not gotten that should get over it!

... and who really needs integrated NTFS support in W9xME systems anyway?

in reality, it is next to impossible.

it's all right to use 3rd party utils that can access NTFS partitions on 9x systems.

that can be good enough for some users and i don't have a problem with that.

Actually converting any file system to another can cause problems. You're better off selecting the file system when you format and install. If you don't and you convert it any other time it's a huge mess.

that's right Tarun. I did read one of Fred Langa's old newsletters that it is better to choose the file system before partitioning & formatting a HD than to use a conversion tool to switch to another file system which can be less reliable. i forgot which article he said that but i'll try to look it up.

oh well. i forgot which online article fred said that so i'll have to ask him personally on whether to use a fresh file system or a converted file system.

but back to the subject of NTFS support in Win98se or WinME, the best thing to do is to use a third party app to access NTFS file system under 98/ME.

in the long run it's best to use NTFS under Win2k or WinXP Pro edition since these versions have built-in file compression and file encryption. WinXP Home edition doesn't support file encryption for NTFS; the option to encrypt files in XP home ed. using NTFS is grayed out. so to fully use NTFS, upgrade to Win2000 or XP professional edition. XP Pro allows running IIS (internet information server) or PWS (personal web server), XP Home ed. does not.

that's right Tarun.  I did read one of Fred Langa's old newsletters that it is better to choose the file system before partitioning & formatting a HD than to use a conversion tool to switch to another file system which can be less reliable.  i forgot which article he said that but i'll try to look it up.

oh well.  i forgot which online article fred said that so i'll have to ask him personally on whether to use a fresh file system or a converted file system.

but back to the subject of NTFS support in Win98se or WinME, the best thing to do is to use a third party app to access NTFS file system under 98/ME.

in the long run it's best to use NTFS under Win2k or WinXP Pro edition since these versions have built-in file compression and file encryption.  WinXP Home edition doesn't support file encryption for NTFS; the option to encrypt files in XP home ed. using NTFS is grayed out.  so to fully use NTFS, upgrade to Win2000 or XP professional edition.  XP Pro allows running IIS (internet information server) or PWS (personal web server), XP Home ed. does not.

Haha, we both agreed! Let me write this on my calendar. ;D

It's insane how messy making the conversions are. It's just.. blah! NTFS is great for security and all, but wow I'd hate to try to convert and risk losing/corrupting all that data.

Judging from the thread title:

Ntfs Support In Win98se Or Me?, can it be done?
I presume tha people in here already thought that
ntfs was never designed for win9x/me

it was designed for win2k/xp

jaclaz

[

Haha, we both agreed!  Let me write this on my calendar.  ;D

It's insane how messy making the conversions are.  It's just..  blah!  NTFS is great for security and all, but wow I'd hate to try to convert and risk losing/corrupting all that data.

hey Tarun, I can't agree with everything you say in this forum, just most of the stuff you said. not all minds think alike but yeah converting to NTFS after setting up & running W2k/XP can lead to problems; and yup soldier1st NTFS was definitely meant for NT/2k/XP systems. But if you're using WinXP and want to take FULL advantages of the NTFS file system, use WinXP Pro edition since it allows file/folder encryption for NTFS while WinXP Home ed doesn't have file encryption for NTFS.

Think of XP Home ed. as 'basic' edition and XP Professional ed. as 'full-fledged' edition.

Judging from the thread title:
Ntfs Support In Win98se Or Me?, can it be done?

I presume tha people in here already thought that

ntfs was never designed for win9x/me

it was designed for win2k/xp

jaclaz

i guess it was a thought by someone who wanted "integrated" ntfs support for 98se/ME. The big M$ isn't going to make that a reality and they're leaving W98/ME in the dust.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
Dear All NTFS LOVER

Here is a tool u love verymuch

http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/NtfsWindows98.html

that's nice, chankya, but it's a read-only NTFS driver for Win95/98/ME. Datapol's NTFS4DOS driver is one better because it can also write to NTFS systems. Download NTFS4DOS here:

http://www.datapol.de/dpe/recovery/ntfs/index.html

IMHO - best to use 3rd party read/write NTFS drivers for Win9xME & DOS, freeware or commercial

• 3 months later...

I read through this forum topic and i'm really not sure but i know

i need a tool that will convert fat32 to Ntfs vice versa

I am not converting my Win98SE fat32 drive to Ntfs

but i do need the conversion support for others hard drives that will be connected

can one recommend a small lite tool with a big impact?

I read through this forum topic and i'm really not sure but i know

i need a tool that will convert fat32 to Ntfs vice versa

I am not converting my Win98SE fat32 drive to Ntfs

but i do need the conversion support for others hard drives that will be connected

can one recommend a small lite tool with a big impact?

I am not really sure to have understood what you need.....

to convert FAT volumes to NTFS there is Convert.exe:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechn...convertfat.mspx

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/214579/en-us

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314097/EN-US/

(of course under 2K/XP)

jaclaz