Installation Guide for Win98 SE SP 2.0

Gape

Installation order:

1- Install Windows 98 SE

6- Install all latest drivers of your hardware

7- Install DirectX (9.0c).

8- Install IE 6.0 SP1(but I not use IE. I use internet browser ""K_Meleon"")

9- Install windows media player codec pack 8 and 9.

10- Install MS Office97 (is the best) .And any other programs like foobar2000(the best player mp3)

I agree with you mkjp on some things (foobar2000 for instance).

I usually do only clean installs of Win98SE.

Here's my install:

1. format c: /q (my C drive has only 1-2 Gb, and the information kept there is expendable)

2. Install 98lite (+ Win98SE) -> NO IE!!!

3. Install latest drivers

4. Install directx 8.1

5. Install Sesp2.0

6. Install programs (only few: Total Commander, Irfanview, Firefox, foobar2000 or winamp 2.91, a colection of video/audio codecs made by a friend and other programs).

My system is a rocket.. Thanks, Gape!

I disagree with step 4 of your installation order, Cooler13. Install DX 9.0c instead of DX 8.1. DX 8.1 and previous releases of DX9 have a recent security flaw mentioned in security bulletin MS04-016 and the security bug is fixed in DX 9.0c.

• 3 weeks later...
Alright, I came late in the game, have been using USP since ver 1 but didn't know about 98se2ME, can I install 982ME over USP 2 RC1 or no? If not,how would be way w/o reinstall of 98se? Or should I just go on my happy way smiling :D
This is Gape's SP 2.0 forum.

"98SE2ME: Install Killer Replacements unattended" forum is here.

To answer your questions:

98SE2ME does NOT interfere in ANY way with SP 2.0 RC1 [more details @ MSFN forum linked above].

The only files installed by both are these 4:

- fixed EXPLORER.EXE from:

http://www.dr-hoiby.com/TrayIconIn256Color/

- newer REGSVR32.EXE from Win2000

- fixed VTCP.386 from MSKB Q236926 +

- fixed RPCRT4.DLL from MSKB Q269874.

VTCP.386 + RPCRT4.DLL can also be installed separately if u d/l respective MS hotfixes posted here:

http://www.mdgx.com/web.htm#98SE

and here:

http://www.mdgx.com/add.htm

SP 2.0 RC1 + 98SE2ME do NOT require reinstalling Win98SE.

Hope this helps.

this is how i would do the install:

Installation order:

*1- Install Windows 98 SE (with our without 98lite).

2- Install IE 6.0 SP1.

3-Install DirectX (9.0c).

4- Install all latest drivers of your hardware

*5- Install MS Office.(And any other programs like norton/etc...)

6- Install SE SP 2.0.

7- Reboot.

8- Install 98lite to remove any features.

*9- Install critical updates from WindowsUpdate.(Make sure you have your icon cache increased as your icons could change and be unable to change them back)

*10- Install 982ME Latest Version.

this is the method i use:

installing ie6 before anything is crucial as some programs may need the newer ie files,next comes directx as some hardware might complain like a soundcard and you'll have lower sound quality then usual or a message will come up about directx,also it is best to install the sp before you use 98lite so that the sp updates all files instead of just the ones you have installed,also doing it this way allows you to reinstall those features with the newer files rather than with the old files,it is recomended to install the windows updates then install the latest version of 982ME.this is the method i use as i've had trouble with gapes installation method

I'd recommend a reboot after installing Office, before SE SP 2.0, should prevent any erroneous errors like the ones I got, causing Office2000 to claim registry errors and .dll not found/registered -- which caused Office to have to reinstall itself :P

• 4 weeks later...

I've got this problem with the version check for the ME Explorer install. On a fresh install with just the SP2 install. The ver check passes but the install is screwed up. Shlwapi.dll not registered to shell32.dll or some such. After th IE5.5sp2, it DOESN'T pass ver check. If I rewrite it to bypass ver check, it installs perfect. Any clues as to what's going on? Is it errorlevel or ....? both the browseui.dll(no longer checked) and the mshtml.dll are 5.50somethin somethin I believe. Other than that, this is some excellent work. On the SP2 upgrade(wrong thread :D) I still get a reboot halfway through. Probably will be fixed in SP3 I hope. MDGx, I've been reading your stuff for a few years too. I prefer metapad, thought the notepad2 was okay for the highlights, and admittedly haven't used PFE all that much. I am NOT p***ing and moaning. :rolleyes: PFE is fine. This is built by you, and I thank you for it. Wrong thread, but I thank Gape too. I've cleaned out a pretty big folder on my boot cd due to the SP2. :thumbup I've used XP... My wife's got it on a laptop; I don't like it. I'm figuring it out now. Still don't like it. Thanks to Tihiy for the Regedit and other contribution's too. All of you and whoever I missed. Thanx. -Jaymo

I've got this problem with the version check for the ME Explorer install. On a fresh install with just the SP2 install. The ver check passes but the install is screwed up. Shlwapi.dll not registered to shell32.dll or some such. After th IE5.5sp2, it DOESN'T pass ver check. If I rewrite it to bypass ver check, it installs perfect. Any clues as to what's going on? Is it errorlevel or ....? both the browseui.dll(no longer checked) and the mshtml.dll are 5.50somethin somethin I believe.
Please try the 4-4-2005 98SE2ME edition, the IE 5.5 detection bug should be fixed.

98SE2ME forum:

http://www.msfn.org/board/?showtopic=37302

PS: Thanks much for your kind appreciation.

Glad to see somebody still uses 98SE. :)

[rant]

I'm also using XP but only to play DVDs + test updates/patches/SPs/tools, because official Creative Labs Audigy2 drivers don't detect digital S/PDIF unless one uses WinXP. :(

Unofficial CL drivers from kX:

http://www.kxproject.com/

do recognize S/PDIF in 98SE + ME, but they still are in beta testing stages.

[/rant]

• 1 month later...

I'm new to this and reading the thread is a bit daunting in places

I bought my p3 secondhand and it only has a restore disk which 98se and office 97 et al is installed from

this means I cannot choose the order of install on many things and cannot do things like

" Copy \WIN98 directory with its contents from CD into your hard drive "

which is mentioned in the slipstreaming guide

I actually came across 5p2.0 elsewhere with no info apart from what was on the download mirror, installed the options I wanted and that was it

I get the gist that 98lite and sp 2.0 alone will significantly help or do I really need other things to speed things up ?

thanx

ps

Just noticed since writing the above I also need the cd fo installingl 98lite is there anywhere to get the necessary for this and other installs mentioned here on the web ?

Just in case the above is miscontrued it is a legitimate licensed version from a

company :)

I'll purchase a cd if it is really best to apply fixes that need the cd files and they aren't available on the net, but would like to know the score first .

rgds