It has been 7 years since Win98 was released

un4given1

randiroo76073: Hey, why not go back and read the whole thread before you post again...

This thread was to discuss why people still use Windows 98. I was curious. It turned into a debate when uninformed idiots decided to get involved and base everything on their opinion without regards to fact... So, like I said.. if you don't contribute then get out...

nLite is probably the biggest project on MSFN, how could you miss it? :)

Have you ever wanted to remove some Windows components like Media Player, Internet Explorer, Outlook Express, MSN Explorer, Messenger...

How about not even to install them with Windows ?

nLite is a GUI for permanent Windows component removal by your choice. After removal there is an option to make bootable image ready for burning on cd or testing in virtual machines. With nLite you will be able to have Windows installation which on install doesn't include, or even contain on cd, unwanted components.

nLite Features

- Service Pack Integration

- Component Removal

- Unattended Setup

- Driver Integration *

- Hotfixes Integration **

- Tweaks

- Patches ***

- Bootable ISO creation

nlite_screen.png

nLite was made for those who say XP/Svr2k3 is too bloated. You run it on the install source, to remove all the unnecessary components BEFORE it ever reaches your HD.

Some statistics:

- Slip-stream SP2 into WinXP CD.

- Integrate Post-SP2 updates.

- Used nLite to remove bloat, and reduced XP i386 source, now XP CD is just 180 MB

- Merged drivers of HW

- Now my "occupied space" on C:\ drive after a fresh install of XP says 370 MB.

- My memory usage currently is 45 MB (NOTE: pagefile disabled).

- Alongside such magical figures, I get all the stability and "latest" tag of XPSP2.

- with this kind of statistics, 98 was "gone with the wind" long ago.

I'm not sure if un4given1 has yet given a look-in into nLite. ;)

good post prathapml, id say thats completely accurate.

[e] Just to clarify, you use nLite to build a new and better XPCD. You install it, copy you XP cd contents to some folder, point nlite to it, voila! Burn a new xp cd.

The lowest RAM usage I ever had was around 55mb, though I run fancy themes and some 3rd party services so I usually have around 66mb of ram usage.

Im personally using XP Media Center Edition which I nlited, I also used Winnt.sif so I could have C:\Windows (1.5GB), D:Program Files(.3GB), and E:Documents & Setttings(.1GB). Again i use MCE, so my XP is a bit more bloated. Still less than 'regular XP' though. :) [e] and those sizes include my apps i already installed.

The most important thing to remove imo is the System Restore and Indexing Service, everything runs faster without those, and I've had less (no) problems.

Edited by DigeratiPrime

Windows 98 Can Run Better Than XP

On Windows XP you need to have a  virus Scanner on it,with 98 you don't

Windows 98 Can Run Better Than XP??? When 98 crashes it tips its self on its head, least XP doesn't fall over the same. Don’t put your CD back in on 98, AHH BSOD that’s very common.

Microsoft product without Antivirus software, are you insane? As long as it has IE browsing courses a constant threat to your system. Oh well keeps us techies busy at least

I'm not sure if un4given1 has yet given a look-in into nLite.

No sir, I have not. I am kinda a "do it yourselfer." I like the feeling of accomplishment writing a big script will do, or finding a regkey myself, or making possible what otherwise was thought impossible. I'm sure that anyone who has followed my posts over the years knows that I have helped others find answers when there weren't any elsewhere. You will also see that I have devised my own methods which I have shared in the past as well. I have begun working on projects before, I just never seem to have the time to complete them. Being Director of IT for a multi-million dollar company, a loving father to 2 beautiful little girls (7 month old & almost 3 year old), and managing to keep my Fiance smiling takes much of my time. Don't write me off though... When I do work on something I don't tend to always let it be known... you never know. :) I will tell you however I am working on a "Dummies guide to Command Scripting" (for lack of a better name) Everyone in the past has always asked me "How do you know what all of that means!?!" I love to pass on my knowledge when I can and I hope others benefit from it...

Anyways, back to the "debate" :)

I'm sure that anyone who has followed my posts over the years

LOL. You've been registered barely over a year. And FYI even puny companies have multi-million dollar values. One place I worked a decade ago had only 600 employees yet spent 20 million a year on IT. Anyway, please stop posting self-important drivel. It's off-topic and no one gives a crap.

With 98 SE I have a fair amount of junk loaded right now (connected to internet obviously) and I have only 45 MB of RAM usage. I do not need to be an nLite expert or third-party software user to reach this, this is just a normal installation with everything (except WebTV) enabled and I have about 20 apps loaded right now including Winamp. I guess I could try turning off my 16 MB RAM disk; that might help decrease memory usage further.

Obviously 98 SE has less memory usage. I haven't amassed a multi-year wealth of knowledge like un4given1, so I'll leave it up to him to find "proof" (i.e. using google to locate Microsoft marketing material).

First off... this is not the only forum site that I frequent. Ever heard of NTFS.org? They are now OSNN.net... I have been a member with them for nearly 3 years. I have been a member on BINK.nu for a little bit longer than that. It's obvious you have gone into "attack mode" because you can't back up your opinions. Don't take it out on me because you can't find that proof... Stay with Windows 98... doesn't bother me... Just don't be so ignorant next time you decide to jump in and stand up for it... Come with the facts and proof if you are going to turn a simple "why do you use it?" conversation into a "Windows 98 is better than Windows XP" conversation.

I'll tell you what... if you hate Microsoft so much then why not just get off of Windows all together... I'm sure Linux would welcome you with open arms... OH, that's right! Linux won't let you run all of the programs you want with the ease you have now... Linux doesn't have the features that Windows does... Linux is to Windows 98 as Windows 98 is to Windows XP. If you are satisfied with a mediocre product then so be it. Some of us demand the best, and we get it in Windows XP.

I laugh so much at you because you remind me so much of myself when I was younger. I used to believe that I was never wrong when it came to computers. I had enought knowledge to be dangerous but not enough to REALLY know what I was doing. Then I got into the industry and found out that I really knew nothing. Now, if you are simply the "home user" you speak of and you don't think you will ever get into the IT field, then that's your own thing... maybe opening your big mouth on a tech forum full of IT professionals and self-proclaimed computer gurus is just the wrong thing for you. Grow up... Educate yourself... then come back and maybe we will let you up onto the porch... Until then little puppy... STFU!

19 apps loaded, same basic win install as azgahl, 48mg ram used, no lite prgm either. Do have Prgm files,My Docs on D: & E: respectively, for my own convienience. Oh yea, 386 is on begining of hdd #2, average useage=30-40mb, would disable, but it gets used in PSP running

un4given1, I think it would be dishonest to not recognize you own "attack-mode", high sarcasm and display of arrogance right now... :(

Please dont tell us what Linux is, if you have never used it yourself (which is what im betting). Also your description is completely vauge, which Distro are you talking about and what features are you reffering to? Which distros have you experience with?

Dont get me wrong, I use XP (mce) I prefer it greatly over win98, I think nLite is simple to use -check some boxes hit make iso done- and can eliminates any issue of bloat or performance drawbacks, but im afraid were polarizing the argument too much.

Also I would appreciate it if you would respond to most of my curiosity here, and not just pick a strawman, thanks.

I have run both Mandrake and Redhat. I was administering a Redhat box at our office for about 4 months until we made the decision to purchase Windows Server 2003. I would concider myself an intermediate Linux user. I will not lie... Linux is not my strong point, but I never set out to make it so.

Also, I'm sorry if it seems I am getting a little upset. I never set out to make this thread what it is. If you read back through the whole of the thread you will see that I have had to deal with "Windows 98 is better than XP" posts based on opinion and not fact. Now, I understand there are probably some Windows 98 users out there who have used XP extensively and just decided to stick with Windows 98 for one reason or another... but I believe the majority of the Windows 98 users who have responded here have little or no experience with Windows XP. It has been questions whether or not I have used Windows 98 myself... which certainly isn't the case since I used to be an OEM System Builder and have probably installed and repaired over 1000 Windows 98 PCs. I was even one of the users who fought about switching to Windows XP at first.

I just want to get this topic back to what it was supposed to be... "Why do you still use Windows 98?"

:hello: i used a dual boot 98se/xp pro but as the resendent computer geek in my crowd im alaways installing 98se for friends why? cause usually they dont buy xp cd 2 cheap and they just want online anything will do and everyones used 98 at some point.i install 98se plus dx9 ie 6 etc and hook them to internet theyre happy as a fatkid at a pie eating contest .a few ask 4 xp but when i tell him about activation they say na 98se ok they just want online fast and usually i might add their running a lowend p2 etc given 2 them or they grabbed cheap sursprizingly theirs still a lot of peeps who use pcs but never really owned one .so i guess 98se is still pretty popular for newbie low on cash. and when i ask friend if they want upgrade they say no most times afraid of change unwilling to lose data on upgrade etc etc .so u tell me if u want online fast mimium install on a fairly easy os to operate id say 98se is pretty quick.oddly enuff most newbies dont know about xps extras all the goodies they just wanta surf get email and use yahoo to play games .in time all newbies become power users then theyll see what their missing in xp .so everybody relax cause if u think about it how many install of 98se have u done 4 friends compared to xp hey theres another thread..hmmmm lol chow .

19 apps loaded, same basic win install as azgahl, 48mg ram used, no lite prgm either. Do have Prgm files,My Docs on D: & E: respectively, for my own convienience. Oh yea, 386 is on begining of hdd #2, average useage=30-40mb, would disable, but it gets used in PSP running

This sounds like an opinion. Where is your proof? Where is the link??

un4given1 does not have any 98 SE installation discs currently. So, please ship your PC to un4given1 so it can be examined for PROOF.

Come with the facts and proof

What proof? That my memory usage is lower? That I don't have to activate? That I burn CD's fine without needing Integrated CD burning? That 98 se installs fine on my 1 GB system? That XP feels sluggish and causes far more problems for me, everyday?

If there is something you feel I haven't proven it is probably due to A. I cannot readily find links (and the existence of a link seems to constitute proof in your view) or B. I'm too lazy to investigate/measure myself. Having set up 1000 PC's but refusing to try 98 se on a 1 GB system would be a good example of B.

BTW, you said earlier that you wouldn't install XP on a PC with a slow CPU. Why is that? If XP improves performance, wouldn't you want to install it?

"Windows 98 is better than Windows XP" conversation.

Windows 98 certainly is better than XP, for me anyway. But if you need Resultant Set of Policy that XP gives you, then more power to you.

I'll tell you what... if you hate Microsoft so much

Who says I hate micros~1? Their OS is great and they do a great job of supporting it. I just don't believe all of their marketing materials and I dont' agree with buying every single OS upgrade just to support their monopoly. Also I am opposed to buying software I don't have the right to use.

I'm sure Linux would welcome you with open arms...

No thanks, I do not like linux that much. Running elf files on a gnome desktop doesn't really amuse me.