It has been 7 years since Win98 was released

un4given1

Some of my thoughts about the 98 SE / XP differences list:

ok, that's fun:

System Restore - Don't know what this is but I hear only bad things about it.

In 6 years I remember to have ned it only once. Usualy inserting the W98 CD-rom does a system restore for me except one or two consmetic things.

Windows Firewall

Is Zone-Alarm free a firewall, if I'm not mistaken? Anyway I don't need it for the 2 or 3 hours per day on a 56k modem.

Integrated CD Burning - Also a case where there are tons of free alternatives.

And a case where the best is worse than the good. Usualy cd burned with XP won't be readable on another platform. Maybe not on another comp because it use the open-session method. A real sh*t.

That's why everybody who has XP install Nero.

Multilingual Support.

How did japanese and coreans before XP? They wrote in the latin alphabet only?

Resultant Set of Policy (RSoP) - No idea what this means,

Nor do I. Maybe some bla-bla to look high tech and justify waste of CPU cycles.

Safe Mode Startup Options - Still not as good as booting to DOS in 98 SE.

And not as good as the F8 key! LOL.

Remote Desktop - The client CAN be installed on 98 SE, and I do not want the server component (another security risk)

I agree.

Enhanced Online Conferencing - I'll never use this. Sounds like more bloat to clog my system with.

Online conferencing is enhanced basicaly by high bitrate communications and secondarily by a good hardware. The software is supposed to be delivered by the conference service provider who will make his own W98 version. There is no need to have that in an OS.

Unified Wireless LAN Client - No use for this; ...Also hotspots are another security risk.

At the shop I asled if I could install such thing with w98, they said "no problem".

I didn't do it thought.

Bluetooth 2.0 Update -

What's that. When Bluetooth 3.0 will come out, this update will be obsolete.

Unattended Installation - If I were installing multiple PC's all the time this would be great. I don't do that though.

Nor do I.

Internet Explorer 6 Administration Kit - I prefer Firefox, not IE.

I use Maxthon :thumbup

It's stunning that when you compare the XP default apps, and w98 default apps, they are almost the same...

Poeple don't buy XP because they have 1Gb ram that allow to have a better computer, they buy 1GB because they need it since XP is installed by the shop and Adobe Photoshop and Acrobat too almost by default.

With these softwares that you cherish so much poeple will always be in need for more performant hardware.

That's how the commerce works.

I did not say Adobe Photoshop. I did not say Acrobat. I said Premiere. Do you know what Premiere is? It's linear video editing software. It's one of the best you will find.
I don't care if I'm limited to 512Kb, if my w98 runs faster than your XP with 1Gb.

Then you just aren't installing it correctly...

Is Zone-Alarm free a firewall, if I'm not mistaken? Anyway I don't need it for the 2 or 3 hours per day on a 56k modem.
sounds to me like you are stuck in the 90s... I haven't run on a dialup modem in 8 years! You are probably justified in not running a firewall of some kind.
Remote Desktop - The client CAN be installed on 98 SE, and I do not want the server component (another security risk)

I agree.

You couldn't be more wrong...

What's that. When Bluetooth 3.0 will come out, this update will be obsolete.

And when Windows XP comes out, Windows 98 will be obsolete... Oh wait.. already happened! Does that mean you should never upgrade your computer because it's going to be obsolete tomorrow? Better not buy that new Athlon64... it will be obsolete tomorrow!

:whistle: i heard windows xp is obsolete its almost 5 years old mayve os 10 the ticket lol

It probably will :) - this only makes things like Solaris (and even Linux - yuck!) more interesting than ever before. Microsoft should support their products for longer if they want a serious commitment from me.

I liked 98SE when it came out, and I don't like it any less just because it's old. :)

Things become "obsolete" all the time, but I actually get better support on 98SE with Gape's SP's than I ever got from Windows Update while 98SE was "supported" by Microsoft.

Un4given,

Yes, I know what Premiere is. I'v tried it. But Adobe products are all sucking bloatwares.

sounds to me like you are stuck in the 90s...
Yes, some poeple are fan of the 60's me it's the 90's LOL.

No. you know I'm not IT manager @MultiBillionCorp.com. I the place I live it's simply too far from the adsl server.

And when Windows XP comes out, Windows 98 will be obsolete

No, to the contrary: Gape's SP2 are going to make XP obsolete soon, you will see. :)

WTF?! I had to reboot crappy XP twice in the last half hour. My CPU usage is a couple of percent and my keyboard works fine but after about 10 minutes of usage, my mouse cursor is UNBELIEVABLY slow, jumping a few pixels every few seconds (if I'm lucky).

The good thing is, after spending a couple of minutes waiting for my 3.0 GHz CPU to reboot, the problem with the multiple locked PDB files that I could rename, but could not delete, cleared up. Unfortunately I still have files called "deleteme", "deleteme2", etc. littering my HD.

I thought XP was supposed to be easy to use and stable!

I am so angry about this OS!

Give me the name of one product that can do what Preimere does... Preimere is one of the best for what it does. I don't have problems with it in XP. It's Windows 98 that I had the problems with it. Windows 98 runs everything in the same memory space, so when one thing crashes everything crashes. Windows XP runs everything in seperate protected memory spaces, so when one thing crashes, only that one thing crashes, not the whole system.

WTF?! I had to reboot crappy XP twice in the last half hour. My CPU usage is a couple of percent and my keyboard works fine but after about 10 minutes of usage, my mouse cursor is UNBELIEVABLY slow, jumping a few pixels every few seconds (if I'm lucky).

The good thing is, after spending a couple of minutes waiting for my 3.0 GHz CPU to reboot, the problem with the multiple locked PDB files that I could rename, but could not delete, cleared up. Unfortunately I still have files called "deleteme", "deleteme2", etc. littering my HD.

I thought XP was supposed to be easy to use and stable!

I am so angry about this OS!

sounds to me like you have hardware conflicts

are you using a usb mouse?

Give me the name of one product that can do what Preimere does...  Preimere is one of the best for what it does.  I don't have problems with it in XP.  It's Windows 98 that I had the problems with it.  Windows 98 runs everything in the same memory space, so when one thing crashes everything crashes.  Windows XP runs everything in seperate protected memory spaces, so when one thing crashes, only that one thing crashes, not the whole system.

IMHO Ulead MediaStudio Pro. I like it very mush.

Give me the name of one product that can do what Preimere does...  Preimere is one of the best for what it does.  I don't have problems with it in XP.  It's Windows 98 that I had the problems with it.  Windows 98 runs everything in the same memory space, so when one thing crashes everything crashes.  Windows XP runs everything in seperate protected memory spaces, so when one thing crashes, only that one thing crashes, not the whole system.

I have absolutely no idea what "Preimere" does (apart from crashing?) Okay - I'm out of line here - of course you are 100% right about your actual point: NT/2000/XP/2003 easily survives almost any program crash - 9x usually dies along with the program, or leaves your system unstable. :)

All I know, is that XP is good for at least a year installation without getting so pokey it's unbearable. with the exception of adware, that is

with win95, I used to format twice a year once I figured out how to do it.

that way the operating system got cleaned and wasn't as pokey

seems to me win9x stuffed it'self up so bad.

Then again, that was 95, I never really ran 98

went from 95 to ME to XP

yeah yeah, I know, ME sucks. I liked it, but you had to be picky about drivers if you wanted it stable :whistle:

Give me the name of one product that can do what Preimere does...
It's true Ulead Media Studio does almost what Premiere does lbeit not all.

That Adobe Premiere can do a lot of things doesn't mean is not a bad software computerly speaking. It's a bad software with lots of tools. Adobe products also very difficult to use. It's a common understanding that it takes at least one month of practice before you fully master them. And at least a few days before you even start.

Preimere is one of the best for what it does.

One year ago it was still impossible to edit and export DivX movies with it. It was one of the very rare video editor that couldn't do that.

I spent 2 years and half on the DivX forum as Trusted DivX Wise Man (you wanted credentials, here you go LOL) and half of the posts were problems with Adobe Premiere.

I hoped they fixed that now.

I don't have problems with it in XP. It's Windows 98 that I had the problems with it.
w98 doesn't have problem with Adobe. I don't remember having had this kind of problem resilent with theyr softwares.

Windows 98 runs everything in the same memory space, so when one thing crashes everything crashes.

Sometimes, but not always. From my own experience, when a program crashes on w98, on 100% of cases:

± ...

40% it leaves the system normal,

25% it leaves the system slightly slower, :wacko:

20% it leaves the system highly unstable albeit usable if necessary but require reboot :angry:

10% it leaves the system not responding, eventualy with a BSOD but with the possibility of restarting with Ctr+Alt+Del, :blushing:

5% it leaves the system completely dead and require pressing the reset buton. :realmad:

Adobe products also very difficult to use. It's a common understanding that it takes at least one month of practice before you fully master them. And at least a few days before you even start.
Learning curve isn't reason enough to label something as "bad." It's Professional grade software. I have 5 years experience with it, so this isn't an issue with me.
One year ago it was still impossible to edit and export DivX movies with it. It was one of the very rare video editor that couldn't do that.

You are absolutely, 100% WRONG on this one. I edited DivX and exported DivX nearly 3 years ago using Premiere 5.5, then 6.0 and 6.5...

w98 doesn't have problem with Adobe. I don't remember having had a crash with theyr softwares.

It's not for this reason that I don't like it.

I didn't say Windows 98 had problems with it... I simply said that Windows 98 was more prone to crashing.
Sometimes, but not always.

No, that ALWAYS how Windows handles memory spaces... now not always did it cause a full system crash, but that's how it handles it's memory...