nLite, hate it or love it?

Astalavista

How do u Feel about Nlite  

181 members have voted

1. 1. How do u Feel about Nlite

• I love Nlite I want to name my First Born Nlite
    • I hate it., but i hv tried it.
    • Neutral, as it isn't of use to me

nLite is a really useful tool allowing to integrate drivers and remove all the bloat from XP. Too bad it depends on .NET so you can only use it inside a virtual machine :-/

What do you mean "can only use it inside a virtual machine"? Or do you mean that's how you use it since you prefer not to install .NET? I don't like .NET either but a few of my favorite tools and ATI's video driver user interface use it so I install the ones that are necessary which are usually only .NET 2.0 these days for me.

I mean I will not install .NET on the machine I do my normal work with. So the only chance to use nLite is a virtual machine, but it's not too bad. You are right that there're some other nice tools that require .NET but for most of thoose there're alternatives without that crap. For example the ATI drivers I replaced with the modded Omega drivers a long time ago.

I see. Yeah, I can't blame you for avoiding .NET as long as possible. For XP installations, I use DriverPacks and select the option to install the old ATI Control Panel with the latest driver instead of the Catalyst Control Center, but under Vista I don't have that option. But I still use .NET for My Movies, some NeoSmart Technologies tools (EasyBCD and iReboot).

At least .NET 2.0 is way better than .NET 1.x. .NET 3.0 and 3.5 take way too long to install though, and nothing I use requires it, so...

Edited by roirraW "edor" ehT

Well,

I love and hate nlite.

Was a real nlite-junkie. ;)

Unfortunately don´t have the time for testing anymore.

Since the "alternative runtimes" are gone, it´s very hard to use nlite on a PC where you can´t install .NET on.

Last time I installed .NET in a portable sandbox (wish I remembered which it was) and gave nlite the rights to use the data in the sandbox.

So everything worked fine.

Nlite ran, Iso built and burned, outside the box of course.

Afterwards the sandbox was deleted and no traces of .NET were to be found after ccleaner was run.

BUT BE CAREFUL !

E.g. "Sandboxie" is a good program, but in some aspects even worse than .NET.

It simply "masquerades" its "sandboxed browser" as a "service" and sneaks through your firewall unnoticed !!!

Agi

• 2 weeks later...
I love it! I think it's just about the most useful tool in existence for a system builder such as myself. The only thing I would want to add is an option to insert your own custom OEM information, instead of just what nLite will put in there.

when i have more time, ill post an easy script for that... i custom brand all my oem installs...

Ace program, gamers should really like this. I always used to stop (services) and remove as much of the windows junk as possible. With nlite (and vlite) most of it's done already, on a new install :D. Saves alot of time for me atleast. :thumbup

Even for non gamers it's useful, speeds up your boot process, and can even get rid of some security issues. It doesn't cause errors and problems if you know what your doing ;)

Can't beat it, great app!!!!!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

What's there not to love in nLite? It has made my life much easier. As for the future, I will be looking for a proper 7 customizer for driver and hotfix integration only; my guess is with today's storage options (HDD, SSD etc.) there's no need of slimming down.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't "hate" it, but I dislike it. I'm not actually neutral, but I thought hate was too strong.

I don't like it because when I used it to integrate only SP2 and a small number of patches -- as well as get rid of a lot of unwanted junk (Outlook Express, Microsoft Office, games, IIS, and more) -- the end product was too big to fit on a CD!

It would be better if it actually deleted from your source tree the files you don't want to install.

So I put the project on the back shelf until I had time to learn the manual (MSFN) way.