HFSLIP (original thread)

tommyp

Good point Lupo. D3dim.dll is part of the english w2ksp4 too. I'll have to add stuff to the instructions for having enough harddrive space. I guess you kind of need a bunch of space for this. Thanks! Also, thanks for our offline tips too. I'm thinking of some solutions. Where were you a few months ago?

@TommyP

Yep, virgin source (Not nlited like last time). BTW

Did a build early today (still used the 711 script) to make a non-winnt.sif

disk for an in-place upgrade. Added Pene lines manually to wu.inf.

STILL got messages about incorrect versions (on new files) and a driver - perhaps due to not having the NOoemdriverSigning? Anyway, (re)buillt system worked. But needed rootsupD, IE 6 sp1, mdac patch per WU.

Electrician: The 7/11 script was 3 releases ago where some updates didn't quite work so well. You may want to get the newest version as listed on the first post, and follow the instructions, especially step #3.

STILL got messages about incorrect versions (on new files) and a driver - perhaps due to not having the NOoemdriverSigning?  Anyway, (re)buillt system worked.  But needed rootsupD, IE 6 sp1, mdac patch per WU.

Electrician,

The only thing that DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore does is change the behaviour of drivers signing from Warn (which is the default) to Ignore, in other words, it only avoids messages about unsigned drivers from appearing. It has no other effect.

Regards,

Pene

@TommyP

Ya I know, but re the dialog here, it seemed you were working on other language integration which is not an issue for me. But, hey, I will DL the new one if you say it works better. Step 3? Are you refering to the contents of HF or IE6 files?

@pene

DUH. My point was (not clearly made) that the lack of winnt.sif in favor of the reg hack - whilst allowing an in-place upgrade, still gave errors regarding unsigned files. But, gee, I still have the build, maybe I will drop the sif back on the disk and do re-install. JUST to make sure it is related to the presence/absence of winnt.sif.

THEN I will look into using the newest slipstream cmd.

Edited by Electrician

Electrician, Please read the instructions that are part of the zip file posted in the leading post of this thread. In there, is a set of detailed instructions for the script to work correctly. If not followed, chances are the script won't work. I'll assume you're running an english version of w2k. If so, you should get no errors.

BTW, The driversignpolicy thing in the winnt.sif file was so that there would not be any nagging errors during installation. This was fixed in the latest version using a force fed registry entry during installation, thus no need for a winnt.sif file.

I apologize if this has been answered in the 25 or so pages already in this thread....

To completely remove Internet Explorer and all of its components:

If you are running Windows 2000, click Start, click Run, and then type:

"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IE Uninstall\W2kexcp.exe" /u

I'm guessing no, but since I haven't played with installing win2k in about a year (might just update my install CD since I stumbled upon this script)

Oh yeah... my question... If you do this, does anything happen when you do Start->Windows Update ? (assuming of course the icon is still there).

Edited by JoeMSFN

@JoeMSFN - that command is designed to roll back from an upgraded IE to a previous version. Not sure what would happen after you've run TommyP's script (after all, IE6 becomes integral). WinUpdate on the start menu now opens IE and takes you to the Windows Update page on a system with WinUpdate 3.1 v2 installed. (If it's not, it installs and then subsequently takes you to the MS site). So, the Start menu item turns into a browser shortcut.

Lots of us like this instead of MS's site, BTW.

Edited by fdv

@fdv:

I just looked at your new page...

I think that tommyp mentioned that fix Windows2000-KB818043-x86-ENU.EXE shouldn't be integrated as there were issues with it...

Just letting you know (look at his post)

Regards,

Pene

(obsolete)

Post noted that I started work on standalone IE6 and OE6 installers. The OE6 installer worked flawlessly, the IE6 installer was a system-killer.

Edited by fdv

hm...

There is a problem.

Ok, I splipstreamed IE6SP1 and all the hotfixes into w2ksp4 files(with hfslip of course)

and then tested it in vmware. No updates needed. Great!

After that I used those same files to add some more program with cmdlines..

I added:

ECHO Installs Microsoft JavaVM - Build 3810
ECHO Installs Microsoft DirectX v9.0c(Feb05)
ECHO Installs Microsoft MDAC v2.8
ECHO Q832483 (for mdac 2.8)
ECHO Installs Microsoft Remote Desktop Connection
ECHO Installs Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 SP1
ECHO Installs Adobe Reader v7.0.1
ECHO Installs Java VM v1.5.0.02
ECHO Installs BSPlayer v86.501
ECHO Installs WinRAR v3.30

and guess what?! (;

I've got Update Rollup 1 on high priority updates...

Strange.

Now, i am going to test this once more but without dx9.0c and we'll see...

In case someone allready know reason for this behaviour please replay. tnx

Regards

Interesting...

I removed dx90c and .net 1.1 sp1 from my cmdlines and installed windows fine.

Gone to WU and it reports nothing... Nice!

Than, I manualy installed dx90c and .net 1.1sp1 and restarted vmware...

WU again reports nothing...

Very confusing.

Very odd. I have both installed here and I have no updates. Are you sure you are installing the latest and greatest .net? FYI, I use RyanVMs prepacked self extracting installation.

What language are you using?

The issue may be fixed when I release the next revision of the hfslip.zip file.

fdv

I think it's very related :)

I'd like to help you with testing but I'm afraid I'll ask more questions then bring any use. For example: should I reinstall Windows without IE6 files but with only your OE6 in script folders?

Best regards,

Oleg 2