HFSLIP (original thread)

tommyp

A small tip for experienced users.

*Setup Part 2*      Source Setup

Place an untouched source into the source folder.  If an altered source is placed here, the script won't work. 

Windows 2000 - Slipstream Service Pack 4 if necessary.

Copy the i386 directory and the ident files to the SOURCE folder.

Windows 2000 ident files:

CDROM_IP.5

CDROM_NT.5

CDROMSP4.TST

Prerequisites:

HDD drive is NTFS formated: in my example D: subfolder HFSLIP

Source CD is already slipstreamed with SP4: in my example E:

Solution:

• Create a Junction point D:\HFSLIP\SOURCE\I386 linking to Destination E:\I386 with either:
    GUI tool Junction Link Magic click new to create I386 folder in D:\HFSLIP\SOURCE (Junction point)
    Command line tool Junction v1.03
  • Copy only the 3 ident files from your root CD E:\ to D:\HFSLIP\SOURCE\

Then you can skip Setup Part 2 and save a lot of time not copying files from CD to HDD

Edited by Bilou_Gateux

@Bilou. Long time no see. Thanks for the inputs. I do not have any issues with LFN and CAT files. Everything installs like a charm on my side (and others too).

I re-reviewed an inf from an IE update as a case in point. It has an LFN cat file. The inf says to register this:

HKLM,SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Hotfix\%SP_SHORT_TITLE%,"Installed",0x10001,1

and install this catalog:

%SP_SHORT_TITLE%.cat, update\%SP_SHORT_TITLE%.cat

Let's not forget the strings section:

SP_SHORT_TITLE ="KB883939-IE6SP1-20050428.125228"

Which also happens to be part of the WUHF that is generated (if you had that hotfix in your HF folder). Perhaps I missed something with the 8.3 comment, but I just don't see what you're talking about. In any event, thanks for pointing out that there are errors with your installation before you even tried it.

Edited by tommyp

I386\SVCPACK folder, cat files are not shortened to 8.3 names and there is all 17 cat files for Q832483 MDAC update
I do not have any issues with LFN and CAT files. Everything installs like a charm on my side (and others too)

Well, I think there is no issue with q832483 cat file...(it works) but why don't you filter cat files for this update?

I think it's more elegant and for filtering OS you need to add only two lines (in BOLD):

DEL /Q TEMP1\*ME*.CAT

IF "%MIN%"=="0" DEL /Q TEMP1\*Winxp*.CAT

IF "%MIN%"=="1" DEL /Q TEMP1\*Win2k*.CAT

MOVE /Y TEMP1\*.CAT WORK\SVCPACK

Greetings!

Lupo

Terrific work, TommyP :thumbup

It's been more than a year since I messed with unattends, and that was the only time I dealt with installing hotfixes automatically before. It's actually pure coincidence I found this forum thread as I wasn't into this type of thing anymore at all but I've tried it and I'm really impressed. It's the best thing I've seen in a long time...

I do have some difficulties but I'm sure they're my fault and that there's a chance they have been covered before. One of them certainly is, and that's the "JScript 5.6 update" which I fixed per someones instructions to install version 5.1 of the update instead.

The other problem that appears to be directly related to the Total Slipstream program (or at least my usage of it) is that Windows fails to reboot properly when installation has finished. I click OK at the prompt to "remove the CD and press OK to reboot", after which the screen turns green but a reboot doesn't occur. I can still move the mouse cursor around so it's not "frozen".

At first I thought it was because I used a full IE6 version that I made with IEAK6, but that wasn't the case; at the second attempt I used the "regular" IE6 (per the instructions) and it still happens.

Strangely, when I do an unattend install, this issue isn't there anymore. After I press OK at the end, another dialog shows telling me that the computer needs to reboot; it's counting down from 15 and has that blue progress bar moving to the left. If I press "Restart computer" on that dialog, the system reboots properly.

I wish it would do this without the WINNT.SIF file as well.

Note: this doesn't happen with my "virgin" SP4 slipstream.

The other issues are related to WINNT.SIF (can't format after selecting a partition, and "US/US" is still in the list of keyboard layouts inspite of my efforts) so I'll be posting about these in a different thread.

If of help, these are the "preparations" I've done to create the Total Slipstream (not necessarily in this order)...

- The folder "FIX" contains the bootfiles from Windows XP

- "HF" contains all hotfixes, XML4 and the Update Agent

- "IESRC" contains all cab files from the IE6 package as well as the two mentioned cab files from DirectX 9.0c (redist)

- "SOURCE" has the entire SP4 slipstream (including BOOTDISK, DISCOVER, etc.)

- "SVPK_NO_SW" contains Acrobat Reader (renamed to 8:3 format), and the JRE 1.5.0_4 (all from Fred Vorck -- thanks Fred!)

- "SVPK_SW" holds the JScript 5.1 update, the Root Certificate Update and SCRIPTEN.CAB (per the instructions)

After the SOURCESS folder is created, I copy over the contents into a pre-made Win2K-Pro bootable ISO, save it, and burn it using Sonic RecordNow DX 4.61.

I've also made a different version including netfxsp1.exe from Vorck, WMP9 and the update for WMP9 (they were placed in SVPK_NO_SW, SVPK_SW and HF respectively). This was just for testing purposes as I don't use these on my regular installs.

That's it. Where am I going wrong?

Edited by Tomcat76

Well, I think there is no issue with q832483 cat file...(it works) but why don't you filter cat files for this update?

I think it's more elegant and for filtering OS you need to add only two lines (in BOLD):

DEL /Q TEMP1\*ME*.CAT

IF "%MIN%"=="0" DEL /Q TEMP1\*Winxp*.CAT

IF "%MIN%"=="1" DEL /Q TEMP1\*Win2k*.CAT

MOVE /Y TEMP1\*.CAT WORK\SVCPACK

Greetings!

Lupo

Thanks for the tip, before 17x <> now only 11x Q832483_xxx_Win2K[x].cat in SVCPACK folder.

@tommyp

Binary files from MDAC Q832483 HF are identical binary files from 891861 URP

odbc*_253.dll <=> odbc*.dll

sqlsrv32_253.dll <=> sqlsrv32.dll

I would like to find a solution to keep only 2 cat file, Q832483_253_Win2K[x].cat or not any cat at all because URP should update MDAC files and has his own mdac.cat file.

Edited by Bilou_Gateux

@Tomcat - A few things:

1 - I'm not sure where you read about using a jscript 5.1. 5.1 is for IE5. If you want IE6, you need 5.6. Lupo from Italy localized the IE scripten scripting stuff a few versions back. Place the script__.exe hotfix back into the HF folder and eliminate the 5.1 script fix.

2 - Place the w2k rollup package into the HF folder (hfslip corrects MSFT's mistakes)

3 - Be sure that you place the HFSLIP cmd file onto your harddrive like this:

d:\hfslip\hfslip___.cmd Any spaces or punctuation marks will render the script useless.

Thanks for the reply.

1 - I'm not sure where you read about using a jscript 5.1.
I can't find it at the moment but it was in a forum thread related to a similar project. People were complaining that Windows Update still reported their systems needed the JScript 5.6 update, even when they included it in the slipstream program. Someone claimed that using the JScript 5.1 update instead works, so it was assumed that IE6 was applied after the JScript 5.6 update, messing it up.
5.1 is for IE5.  If you want IE6, you need 5.6.
I knew that, but thanks.
Lupo from Italy localized the IE scripten scripting stuff a few versions back.  Place the script__.exe hotfix back into the HF folder and eliminate the 5.1 script fix.
Not the IESRC folder? OK; I'll give that a try. Do I "eliminate" using the JScript 5.6 fix as well?
2 - Place the w2k rollup package into the HF folder (hfslip corrects MSFT's mistakes)
It's in there already; I considered that a "hotfix" in my previous post.
3 - Be sure that you place the HFSLIP cmd file onto your harddrive like this:

d:\hfslip\hfslip___.cmd  Any spaces or punctuation marks will render the script useless.

The "hfslip" directory was in the root of the E: drive, but I created two of these called "hfslips" and "hfslipt" for the two versions I made. My first attempt was done from a folder called "hfslip", though.

- "SVPK_SW" holds the JScript 5.1 update, the Root Certificate Update and SCRIPTEN.CAB (per the instructions)

Script__.cab is a part of IE6 and must be place in IESRC folder...

otherwise, if you want you can add the script__.exe hotfix (it is an update) into the HF folder

NB '__' is according to your language!!! (ex. 'it' is italian, 'en' is english... so scripten.cab is only for english version, scriptit.cab for italian and so on...)

no need the JScript 5.1 update, delete it.

If you want you can place the Root Certificate Update in HF folder instead of "SVPK_SW" folder.

bye.

Edited by lupo

Well... The first CD I made was with SCRIPTEN.CAB (I use the English version) inside the IESRC folder, as part of the IE6 package, and without the JScript update (because it wasn't documented in the help file).

After installing that, I went to Windows Update and I was presented two critical updates; Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool and the JScript 5.6 update.

I downloaded the JScript 5.6 update and placed it inside the SVPK_SW folder because of the switches it needs to be installed. That didn't help (Windows Update still claimed it wasn't installed). Then I found a post by someone stating that the JScript 5.1 should be used instead, and that worked.

So, if I add SCRIPTEN.CAB to the HF folder (and ditch the JScript update), Windows Update should no longer complain? Also, do I put it ONLY in the HF folder or both in the HF and the IESRC folder?

Edited by Tomcat76

@Tomcat76: First Q, Are you using an english version of windows? Or a dutch verion?

The IESRC is just a series of CAB files. That's it. Don't bother putting exe files in there. In the HF folder, place your script__.exe file. The __ is the language you are using. As Lupo pointed out, IT=Italian, EN=English, and NL=your language (if you are using Dutch). So, google for SCRIPTNL.EXE and place that into your HF folder. In fact, your other exe's in the HF folder should have an NLD in it (the english guys should have ENU). The JSCRIPT update is only a portion of an update, so I kind of consider it a worthless file.

Also, please read the instructions if you are reporting windowsupdate issues.

Ah, OK. I got the file now.

And I'm using the English version of Windows, btw. After going through 95, 98 and ME in Dutch it was time for some stability increase... :D

Windows XP Dutch seems to be stable but I'm now used to working with English versions of Windows, so... no Dutch.

Thanks for the help.

Thanks tommyp, but One of non-english verison(korean version) did not your cmd.

I wrote my prodspec.ini

;Note to user: DO NOT ALTER OR DELETE THIS FILE.

;

[sMS Inventory Identification]

Version=1.0

[Product Specification]

Product=Windows 2000 Professional

Version=5.0

Localization=Korean

ServicePackNumber=0

BitVersion=40

[Version]

DriverVer=12/09/1999,5.00.2195.1

what's something wrong?

Edited by eatkus

I placed scripten.exe (thanks ;)) inside the HF folder, but forgot to add the WMP9 update. So naturally Windows Update presented me with that update but also another one: KB828026 from 5/15/2004. I assume that's part of the WMP9 hotfix. I'll make another CD after I wake up to verify that.

5 new critical updates have emerged on the WU site I see. The new cumulative update for IE6 (896727) apparantly can't be downloaded separately yet, but the others can be. I have added them to the slipstream but it appears they aren't "ready" for that yet. During the "Registering settings" portion of setup, I got a pop-up saying that a digital signature wasn't found -- don't know where that suddenly came from. When booting into Windows, a pop-up appears titled "winlogon.exe - Unable to locate DLL" with the following description: "The dynamic link library TxfAux.Dll could not be found in the specified path." Related to the new hotfixes I presume. The system is more or less blank -- no IE, and iexplore.exe doesn't even exist inside its program folder. Funny... :)

It still doesn't reboot properly after installation has finished, though.

Edited by Tomcat76