HFSLIP (original thread)

tommyp

@bololo77 - Thanks for the zip. I believe I found the issue which appears to be a non-English type of thing. If you wouldn't mind doing a quick test to see if my line of thinking is correct, PM me for details.

I found a problem when the cmd file to do the upgrade is run under the popular cmd.exe replacement 4NT. (line 46 of the 23-july issue does gives an error message under 4NT 5.0)

While i don't reccomend supporting this, i would suggest that the batch file be launched under a known environment, eg cmd.exe.

W

New HFSLIP posted on 1st post.

New items: Sleek/Streamlined/Slipstreamed DX9C

Additional Language Support

Localized IE6 integration (in other words it supports non-English builds)

WindowsUpdateAgent20-x86.exe integration

Added GNU License

PLEASE read the directions if heavily reducing the slipstreamed source on W2K.

HAHAAHAAHAA!!

TommyP you've done it again.

He said he would, folks, and I told him not to bother way back. I'd said that slipstreaming -- NOT integrating, but actually slipstreaming -- DirectX 9c was not worthwhile because it would take forever learning how to do it and besides, DX9 includes files not in DX7 (so it's more than just a replacement). Well sometimes I just need to be proved wrong :P

Tested out the latest

Total Slipstreamer for Windows 2000 and created the Win2k SP4 + Rollup + IE & OE 6 + DirectX 9c and it works perfectly.

See the main change at my site here: http://www.vorck.com/2ksp5.html#6

Scroll a little bit and you'll see a pic of the files you need to add to the IE directory.

And yes, it works with and without my IE removal files, and works whether or not you include IE 6. Oh, BTW, I should mention it has non-EN language support now.

Bravo, man! B)

Never say "you can't do it" to me. HAHAHA. Is there anything else worthwhile slipstreaming into the source? If not, I'll consider the efforts on this project as just a maintenance type of thing. Any feedback appreciated.

FDV, thanks for posting about this thread on the forums. :). I think the title of this thread scares off the XP guys, even though it works with XP too. I guess it will be one of those hidden gems you stumble on.

os2fan2 let me see a link to the latest one for Win2k (PM me if you like) and I can repackage it as a hotfix. I never did figure out which one was the "real" one recommended for use in w2k.

tommyp

Thank you man!

I don't know what else could be slipstreamed except for some file-hacking and adding to Windows 2000 new features from other operating systems and third party programs but maybe you can add something like driver-slipstreaming? For example for SATA and RAID drives? Or you rethink about .NET Framework - I don't use it either at the moment but there are a few new interesting programs that need it and probably there will be even more such programs.

fdv

Your last set of files works fine and I see you found the way to open chm files ;) or it is a bug with me again?

And OE installs good from the source with changing msoe50.inf for one from your OE package and a little modifications in it and in syssetup.inf.

But I still have a question: the new installation loads and shutdowns VERY long time. It took me a few hours to discover your tweak with cleaning paging file before shutdown and it is much faster now. But I can't find what takes it so long to start up? Is it a bug or is it the result of one more tweak? I understand these are for security reasons but it is not very comfortable with portable computers (especially when working on bataries :)

Best regards,

Oleg 2

Edited by Oleg_II

I try this on Chinese simplified win2000, it works alomost great, but there is still a problem with the slipstream of IE6. I could not log in gmail with this IE6, it indicates that activex was disabled, no matter how I change the activex setting, I just could not log in. If I reinstall the IE6, it works fine.

@Oleg_II - :blushing: Dude I am sorry about the pagefile thing. You're right, I should let people know... but I'm going to take it back out, that's just unkind to throttle someone's shutdown process like that. Mea culpa.

CHM files - here's the thing that I just discovered (and already fixed). It _USED_ to be that shdoclc.dll was the heart of Internet Explorer. Here's something embarassing for me... try typing a URL into an explorer location bar. Boom, the Internet comes up. Not so nice, huh? As it turns out, Microsoft has, with IE6SP1, integrated VASTLY more browser functionality into fewer files. Go here and scroll down to 'the stumble'. IE 5.x needed a LOT of files to run. Now, it only needs a few. Microsoft has been very busy consolidating browser functionality. With all of the IE files ripped out of Windows, as it turns out... MSHTML.DLL is now the culprit, not SHDOCLC.DLL any longer!! So, my latest fileset removes it (you can too, just have all apps closed, search for mshtml, and rename it .xxx or just delete it). You'll be IE free again, but the point is that MS is paring down the files needed to run IE. The HTML display DLL used to be just a small part of IE, not the core of it.

Slow startup - I am not sure. My system starts up lightning fast. Please try a startup manager and report back to me via e-mail or PM just what you have loading at startup; this will help me figure things out.

Outlook - thanks for testing it :thumbup Pretty cool that it works (for those who need it)

@TommyP - in reference to the problem that gzduke5 is having - a possibility. Maybe the problem is ActiveX killbits, and when he reinstalled, he overwrote new files with old files, and the old files do not have recognition for the killbit settings, effectively allowing all sorts of ActiveX controls to do their thing? In other words, nothing is wrong but MS's security settings are too high and the old, unpatched IE6 files allow any ActiveX controls through. Just a thought.

FDV, I was thinking the same thing with the kill bits. BTW, you'd be amazed how sloppy microsot was with the rollup package. There are some files with newer file dates, but older versions (non-english only). Go figure. I guess they never heard of configuration managment.

@gzduke5: can you open up IEW2K_1.CAB and extract the ieexcep.inf file and post it here?

tommyp

Just got an idea what can be useful addition to your script: I add some files to the source that are not dublicates in source but some small utilities like cdburn.exe or modifype.exe. After slipstreaming I have to add them manually to dosnet .inf and txtsetup.sif. It would be great for lazy persons to have a special folder for these files and a few lines in cmd for adding them automatically to dosnet.inf and txtsetup.inf.

Best regards,

Oleg 2

Just a thought for both Oleg_II_ as well as TommyP

In SOURCES, create $OEM$\$$\system32

In other words, make a new directory in SOURCES called $OEM$. Inside that, a new directory called $$. Inside that, a directory called system32. Inside that, put whatever programs you'd like.

Here is a GREAT list of little programs I put in here!

http://www.vorck.com/2ksp5.html#13

(and some of the programs from Step 12 above it)

Works for me.