HFSLIP (original thread)

tommyp

Hi,

Sorry for the question... I'm trying to create my SP5 CD.

Could anyone give me an idea about why at all I need the winnt.sif file? As far as I understand this file is for unattended installations. I want to create an Install CD that looked just like the original one, but with "SP5" integrated...

What would be the needed .sif file for a regular installation?

Thanks,

Pene.

Dear Tommy,

Thanks a lot for your quick response and for the great project!

Just to be sure, nothing else but these two lines should be present in the winnt.sif?

Thanks again,

Pene.

Thanks again.

One last question, if I may:

As I am not familiar with NLITE, could you please explain shortly what advantage does running nlite on the created directory give over just creating the boot cd immediately?

Thanks,

Pene.

As I  am not familiar with NLITE, could you please explain shortly what advantage does running nlite on the created directory give over just creating the boot cd immediately?

Thanks,

Pene.

It can remove components from Windows (like unneeded languages) it can re-compress files, and add certain reg teaks, etc etc etc.

Very nice. Just remember to keep a backup of your "finished" build before you nLite it, because you can't re-nLite the same directory, and running TommyP's

batch on an already nLited folder doesn't seem to work out well.

Hallo for the first time :unsure: ...

today i tried to slipstream my W2k with the "UNIVERSAL the HOTFIX SLIPSREAMER" ...

i redirected the output (>D:\XcV.txt SS_W2K_IE6_XP_071105.CMD) and noticed a few errors:

1)__________________________________________________________________________________________________

________

Can't open input file: iesrc\oeexcep.cab.

2)__________________________________________________________________________________________________

________

Expanding work\msxml1\xml_core.cab to work\msxml2\msxml4.cat.sxs.2E8D8EBB_CC16_45E1_BBCA_CB1ED881EDB7.

Expanding work\msxml1\xml_core.cab to work\msxml2\msxml4.dll.sxs.2E8D8EBB_CC16_45E1_BBCA_CB1ED881EDB7.

Expanding work\msxml1\xml_core.cab to work\msxml2\msxml4.Manifest.sxs.2E8D8EBB_CC16_45E1_BBCA_CB1ED881EDB7.

Expanding work\msxml1\xml_core.cab to work\msxml2\msxml4r.cat.sxs.2E8D8EBB_CC16_45E1_BBCA_CB1ED881EDB7.

Expanding work\msxml1\xml_core.cab to work\msxml2\msxml4r.dll.sxs.2E8D8EBB_CC16_45E1_BBCA_CB1ED881EDB7.

Expanding work\msxml1\xml_core.cab to work\msxml2\msxml4r.Manifest.sxs.2E8D8EBB_CC16_45E1_BBCA_CB1ED881EDB7.

msxml4 cat sxs

The system cannot find the file specified.

msxml4 dll sxs

msxml4 Manifest sxs

msxml4r cat sxs

msxml4r dll sxs

msxml4r Manifest sxs

3)__________________________________________________________________________________________________

________

Can't open input file: source\i386\sp1.cab.

Can't open input file: source\i386\sp2.cab.

Can't open input file: source\i386\sp3.cab.

Can't open input file: source\i386\sp5.cab

4)__________________________________________________________________________________________________

________

Could Not Find D:\hfslip\TEMP\*.CAT

Could Not Find D:\hfslip\TEMP\*UPDATE.EXE

Could Not Find D:\hfslip\TEMP\*INST.EXE

Access is denied.

Access is denied.

Access is denied.

A duplicate file name exists, or the file

cannot be found.

Access is denied.

Access is denied.

Access is denied.

Could Not Find D:\hfslip\WORK\MSXML1\msoobci.dll

File Not Found

Could Not Find D:\hfslip\WORK\MSXML2\*.EXE

cannot be found.

Could Not Find D:\hfslip\WORK\MSXML3\*.EXE

Could Not Find D:\hfslip\WORK\MSXML3\*.INF

cannot be found.

Could Not Find D:\hfslip\TEMP\*.INF

Could Not Find D:\hfslip\HF.TXT

File Not Found

File Not Found

File Not Found

File Not Found

File Not Found

File Not Found

File Not Found

File Not Found

File Not Found

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

________

To 1) Can not find in the "hfslip" document connected with IE6 (unimportant?)

To 2) Does not work, because the "long number" is missing ...?

To 3) I think, this is not a big thing (simply looking for all Service Pack?)

To 4) These messages i got in the DOS output window (i do not know if they are significant)

perhaps nothing to worry ...

In my opinion a REAL C :D :D :D L WORK TommyP !!!

KojotXL

KojotXL, Thanks for the feedback. It's ok to see those errors. With all the hotfixes and other upgrade files that MSFT produces, there is loads of junk that come with the executable. Case in point was yesterday's critical update for outlook. I forgot the exact filesize, but all you had to do is incorporate a single registry entry. I can't see the point of downloading a file larger than 1k for something like that. Anyway, the CMD file copies the important stuff over and discards the junk. The errors you see flashing by is the filtering that's happening. I could have just made the cmd window a plain black screen, but I like to see what's going on.

I'm not exactly sure with the MSXML issues you state. If you installed the source and MSXML works, then no need to worry about it. I ran the script numerous times and have no issues with MSXML.

With the oeexcep.cab error, thanks for pointing that out. I'll have to remove that line from the code. I guess I found out a while back that the oeexcep.cab was also packed with non-essential garbage.

Thanks for your fast answer

ok, now i am feeling me more :P about those errors

Although i am not shure if "I" require MSXML, nevertheless i would

a little bit more happy if you can confirm there is no real error

"a plain black screen" what a horror ... thanks a lot for NOT doing that

One question about "Optional (and recommended), NLITE the SOURCESS folder" ...

if i do not do it are there any drawbacks ?

Thank you

KojotXL

There's no drawbacks for not running Nlite, you'll just have a slipstreamed system. Nlite just slims the system down while maintaining the latest binaries/registry information. My typical installation cd is 100 meg, fully slipstreamed. For your reading pleasure refer to FDV's site.

Oh and if you're worried about MSXML, verify that you see msxml files in your i386 folder. There's two for msxml3 and three? for msxml4. If you're really worried, but don't put the msxml4 installer in the HF folder. It works fine for me though.

Edited by tommyp

Hi,

Is there a specific reason why KB890830 (Malicious Software Removal Tool) was not included in the recommended files to slipstream for "sp5"?

It shows as a critical update after fresh install

Thanks

Hi again,

Why is it necessary to use winnt.sif?

Just by adding this file all the windows defaults change... Networking defaults etc...

Isn't there a way to do this without winnt.sif? I do not want an unattended setup

Obviously, fresh installs contains no "malicious software" to remove :P

Winnt.sif if the file needed to configure setting for an unattende install. you should make your own one (don't take an existing one...). Search on the forum, and look at http://unattended.msfn.org/ http://unattended.msfn.org/beginner/winnt_sif.htm http://unattended.msfn.org/global/reference.htm for the details.

bye

Edited by Delprat

But I don't want to change any defaults. I don't want to involve my personal preferences.

I want windows to ask me like the original CD for everything.

Networking components, Regional settings, Default user and password after install, etc, etc.

I just want the cd to look and act like the original one.

Pene:

[Data]
AutoPartition=0
MsDosInitiated=0
UnattendedInstall=Yes

[Unattended]
UnattendMode=GuiAttended
DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore

That's your whole file.

The GuiAttended will revert so that nothing is automated.

Any specified settings would be ignored.