jcarle's Utilities

1) A Program with a big database of switchs

i would be interested in helping build the database if someone would make the gui part :P

example:

in section 1, there could be a browse button, 2 look 4 the file

in section 2, there could be a list of switches, then it outputs it 2 an inf/ini file & u have it run from inside the program with a switch like /silent or something?

programname.exe /silent /loadinf=whatever

? maybe a thought

I notice you say:

This utility allows you to drag and drop any file to it's window and have it run modifype and makecab with the LZX compression at it's highest setting (equivalent to the compression used on the Windows CD) on the file. The file is compressed and written to the same filename in the same location with an underscore replacing the last character in the filename. IMPORTANT: modifype.exe and makecab.exe MUST be in your path (preferably \windows\system32).

But when I attempted to use ModifyPE.exe to compress a .bmp or a .jpg file for inclusion into the i386 folder, (fyi, I was trying to replace the default files for the wallpaper,) it only gives an error that it wont work with them. Are you able to overcome this with this utility? Does the .jpg and .bmp files not need to use the ModifyPE.exe program to compress them? Mind you, I used it seperately and not using your program, as I have just now found it. TIA.

*EDIT*

Also, will using the LZX compression actually benefit those files?

One more thing inref:

Now, to think of another util to make. ;)

How about a way to do them in batch form? Such as multiple files at a time.

But when I attempted to use ModifyPE.exe to compress a .bmp or a .jpg file for inclusion into the i386 folder, (fyi, I was trying to replace the default files for the wallpaper,) it only gives an error that it wont work with them.  Are you able to overcome this with this utility?  Does the .jpg and .bmp files not need to use the ModifyPE.exe program to compress them?  Mind you, I used it seperately and not using your program, as I have just now found it.  TIA.

*EDIT*

Also, will using the LZX compression actually benefit those files?

Compressing a bmp seemed to work fine for me, with and without modifype.

LZX will give you better compression than the Makecab default which is MSZIP.

I dont think I mentioned that I didn't use this to do anything with the ModifyPE, I was just using the ModifyPE program itself, and it refused to work with all the .bmp's and .jpg's I tried it with, (about 5 of each). Maybe I was using it wrong, or didn't use the correct switches when using it, but I couldn't make it work. I knew that the LZX compression was better than Makecab alone, but I didn't notice much in size difference than using it alone when I was compressing them all last night. (About 30 in all.) Could be the files I was attempting to compress were already compressed quite a bit to start with being the reason, as I used Jasc PSP to assure they were as small a file size as possible before I included them.

1) A Program with a big database of switchs

i would be interested in helping build the database if someone would make the gui part :P

I've already made a similar database, and I'll be working on the GUI (front end) soon (as soon as I'm done with registry tweaks lol)

Regarding compression, I expanded and re-compressed the entire I386 for testing and I found out that EVERY single file is compressed using LZX(21). So I suppose compressing to anything else would be a moot point.

...I was just using the ModifyPE program itself, and it refused to work with all the .bmp's and .jpg's I tried it with...

It's called ModifyPE! Only PE- -> Executable- -> .exe-, *.dll-, *.ocx-...-files can be modifyed this way. There is no need to do this with bmp's or any other filetype.

Senax

Nice app. I'll be saving this for future use.

I'm also working on an app switches database except mine will be online in PHP5 so it'll have the option for users to add their own switches.

Would be nice to have an offline version though.

Nice app. I'll be saving this for future use.

I'm also working on an app switches database except mine will be online in PHP5 so it'll have the option for users to add their own switches.

Would be nice to have an offline version though.

Might I suggest that you have some kind of moderation system for it so junk switches (or dupes) get weeded out?