jcarle's Utilities

That's very odd behavior because XPreview does not modify the winntbbu.dll file, it only opens it and reads from the file. I'll take a deeper look into the code tonight to make sure there's nothing bizarre going on but there shouldn't...

heh... I'm not sure if this has been suggested, but I'm going to suggest it anyway. :D My only thought with the XP Preview is that you should allow a full screen view too. To me, you can only really tell if the setup screen is how you want it when you see it 1024x768 or higher. Maybe it's a feature and I just don't know it. :D

I re-wrote XPreview to work on a module based system. Theoretically if all goes well, when I decide to release the final version of XPreview (just the program), the program will no longer need to be updated, just the modules. Old modules will only need updating for bug fixes and new modules will be added to support additional DLLs.

There some bug fixes in this release and some tidying up of code. So if you had problems with the previous version, try this one and let me know if you still have a problem. I haven't forgotten about proper text support for the billboards in winntbb, it's still coming. :) As for XPreview being responsible for modifying your dll, it should not be possible. I thoroughly examined the code and there is absolutely nothing that could be responsible for that. It must have been either sheer coincidence or there's something else going on in the framework that I don't know about. Maybe that's why they released Service Pack 1? ;)

Let me know what you guys think and especially let me know if you have problems, bugs, qwerky behaviour or alien life to report. :D

heh...  I'm not sure if this has been suggested, but I'm going to suggest it anyway.  :D  My only thought with the XP Preview is that you should allow a full screen view too.  To me, you can only really tell if the setup screen is how you want it when you see it 1024x768 or higher.  Maybe it's a feature and I just don't know it.  :D

I'm not so sure that when you run Setup that your native resolution is 1024x768... I think during CD boot GUI Setup that your resolution is only 640x480. I also think the reason that the bitmap is 1024x768 within the winntbb.dll is for use when you start Setup inside of Windows. Though I'm sure of none of the above, so it's noted and I'll look into that for you. :)

Just a few small requests fot XPreview:

• Support Bootscreens
  • Support Logon-screens
  • When viewing a winntbbu.dll file, let the peaople see the microsoft propaganda-text
  • support for reading compressed files

Furthermore, I like what you are doing for this community. Thank You. All these things will be helpfull

In XPreview I get this error...I tried moving modifype to the path, but no luck, as I saw it was posted that you should move it to path...

See the end of this message for details on invoking 
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.Runtime.InteropServices.ExternalException: A generic error occurred in GDI+.
  at System.Drawing.Image.FromHbitmap(IntPtr hbitmap, IntPtr hpalette)
  at System.Drawing.Image.FromHbitmap(IntPtr hbitmap)
  at XPreview.ResourceManagement.Manager.GetResourceBitmap(String Filename, Int32 ID)
  at XPreview.Modules.winntbb.winntbb.LoadFile(String Filename)
  at XPreview.formMain.menuOpen_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
  at System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem.OnClick(EventArgs e)
  at System.Windows.Forms.MenuItemData.Execute()
  at System.Windows.Forms.Command.Invoke()
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmCommand(Message& m)
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
  at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
  at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc(Message& m)
  at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)
  at System.Windows.Forms.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
  at System.Windows.Forms.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
  at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
   Assembly Version: 1.0.5000.0
   Win32 Version: 1.1.4322.573
   CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/microsoft.net/framework/v1.1.4322/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
XPreview
   Assembly Version: 1.0.4244.0
   Win32 Version: 1.0.4244.0
   CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/jcarle.com/XPreview/XPreview.exe
Interface
   CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/jcarle.com/XPreview/Interface.DLL
System.Windows.Forms
   CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system.windows.forms/1.0.5000.0__b77a5c561934e089/system.windows.forms.dll
System
   CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system/1.0.5000.0__b77a5c561934e089/system.dll
System.Drawing
   CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system.drawing/1.0.5000.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/system.drawing.dll
winntbb
   CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/jcarle.com/XPreview/Modules/winntbb.xpm
ResourceManagement
   CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/jcarle.com/XPreview/ResourceManagement.DLL

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just in time (JIT) debugging, the config file for this
application or machine (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
   <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the machine
rather than being handled by this dialog.

hmmm, happens to one version I have...does the program crash if Ive removed some of the bitmap resources? Like in the version that crashes, I removed a couple of bitmaps that werent really needed...I can only see that as being the reason it crashes...since it doesnt pull the string table (other than the 5 buttons)...but I think Ive removed string table (entering a space instead of words, since if you actually remove the table, it errors) for all of my winntbbu.dll, but it seems to work...would be nice if it didnt crash if some resources were removed...

I'm amazed that windows setup doesn't crash if you completely strip out a required bitmap. It's honestly a scenario that I hadn't even concidered, though I'll put some proper error handling to address the issue if in fact it's possible for windows setup to run with missing bitmaps.

I dunno...I know in some there is like bmp 100 and 101...and in the one I keep trying to open, I starts at 103...but it works...in the one im trying to open...i only have bmp

103, 104,105,109,154,155,156,181,185,186,187,188,189,190,191,192...

hey, i tried the new version and it still shows those boxes when i open it.

this time i did not try it the real setup, but i would think it would be the same. :(

I'm working on a method to correct the issue you're experimenting. I'm trying to replicate Microsoft screen placement algorythms, but it's far from obvious. It's especially tricky because I can't seem to figure out where they decide to do word wrapping. I figured out that the | character in the strings has absolutely no bearing on word wrapping, so maybe they use any non alphanumeric character as a wrapping point? Who knows... that's what I'm trying to figure out... :wacko:

Now I re-wrote my winntbb module to dynamically draw all the string layouts on the setup screen using the fonts and sizes defined inside the resource strings of the winntbb.dll that is opened. It's a pixel or two off but I couldn't figure out just how exactly they do the word wrapping and line spacing calculations, so I got it as close as possible. One thing I did figure out though is that the | characters are vital for setup to insure proper word wrapping. I fixed some bug issues and this version should be pretty stable.

Feedback? :)