1. 1. What's the best firewall?

• ZoneAlarm
    • Outpost
    • Sygate
    • Symantec
    • Kerio
    • Windows Firewall

Sygate is the best

It's the best for you. Just like p2p's and web browsers, it boils down to one's preferences. I don't have to waste HD space and memory on firewall software because I have a router. But to say something is the best without backing it up with amazing unparelleled features is very biased and not a good means of stating what is good software.

From what I've read about the Windows Firewall... it doesn't scan outgoing packets (even the SP2 firewall).

The big question becomes... what happens if you have a virus on your computer? If you have a properly configured firewall that scans both outgoing and incoming packets, viruses and worms will be slowed quite a bit (maybe not all e-mail viruses, but the ones that spread themselves through an app).

With Sygate, I've got it configured such that only the programs that I know I want to connect to the internet are allowed. Any others (including svchost.exe and the ntkernel) are blocked. It's probably the most secure way that I can think of having my firewall.

It's just a matter of how paranoid you are... :P (me = paranoid)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys I'm using Sygate and it works well except -

-it crashes when I shutdown / restart my PC

-often smc.exe locks up, I think this is sygate

-especially when I'm not connected, it causes the system to stutter every few seconds. By stutter I mean my mouse will freeze and stop moving for an instant. Very irritating.

Are there any good free alternatives?