Activation and SP2 Build 2120

gosh

This build seems to break activation on some volume license versions of XP, some legit some not. I personally think some people are assuming way too much from this. This is probably just a sp2 beta bug that won't be in the final product. This is my thought...

After sp1 came out microsoft stated that they would not change anything about activation in future xp service packs. The only thing they said they would do is block product key's. Microsoft also said they would not reissue volume license product keys after sp1 was released, unless a companies product key was leaked. If microsoft blocked all 64x product id's not only would they be changing the way wpa works, but they would have to reissue a LOT of legit volume license keys. A bug in sp2 build 2120 is causing the activation problems, i assume it will be fixed in future builds.

This PSA was brought to you by

-gosh

hmm interesting gosh.. they should save themselves some money and forget about it.. all it creates is blocking someones product id that got leaked and the legitimate user pays the price.. should be on inital install, you MUST register online, sending the data to server saying "Mr John Citizen has registered xxxxxxxxx id" and if someone uses the same key, logs there IP and say hello mr police man..

I agree with gosh's post, but I believe this was to "influence" people to get legit copies of XP, as a scare tactic almost. mainly because the SP's seem to be getting distrobuted illegaly so they assume these people with VLK's will fall for there tricks. It also could be a test to see if thier key program(WPA) will work with a new algorithym, and still recognize old keys, ah who knows we will see in the next SP build what happens.

This is on <<spam>>, "We haven't explicitly done anything to SP2 to exclude it from pirated copies," said Microsoft group product manager Barry Goffe."

http://computertimes.asia1.com.sg/news/sto...04,2292,00.html

Looks like im right.

-gosh

Good one, gosh! For a minute, I thought you were wrong. But, I've looked at your stuff and I know that you are a deeper thinker than that. You were right!

Well, it happens with slipstreamed copies as well. I get this error message when trying to log on for the first time:

A problem is preventing Windows from accurately checking the license for this computer. Error Code: 0x80004005
So yeah, something is nicely fubared with this build :). And I too can confirm that this only happens with Volume License builds. I was able to slipstream it fine on a retail XP Pro CD.

To clarify its position, a Microsoft spokesperson told BetaNews, "Press reports indicating Windows XP Service Pack 2 will install on pirated or illegal copies of Windows XP are not entirely true. Prior to installing, SP2 will check the OS' product ID (PID) against a list of known pirated PIDs. If a PID is found to be invalid, SP2 will not install."

Ah Ha! It's looking like I may be the correct one after all.

My bug report has officially been closed as a duplicate. It was an issue with volume license keys and the status already says fixed. So at least the next build should work OK (though I'll be trying new builds in VirtualPC first from now on :))

Head's Up

My two cents on this

I've been a faithful MS user since 3.1, I've tried Linux but its too ugly IMHO

Crap is changing

On my server PC I don't have SP2 installed

I've had 1 copy of XP Home update since day 1. I've formatted the HD a hundred times before Unattend, even swapped HD's for bigger ones, reinstalled on at least 6 different PC's as time progressed, but only 1 at a time. The original CD shattered inside a CD drive but I had a backup which i've used for about 2 year's to reinstall. I had a MOBO crash on my server recently that was running this copy, I have 4 different paid for licensed copies BTW, 1 Pro. Bought a cheap replacement PC since all it run's is the NIC's and installed my copy with SP1 slipped and then done all the updates.

For the first time ever I get that message about I gotta call. After a phone call to MS they activated it but the lady told me that the original ProductKey for a valid CD was no longer valid meaning I can no longer use that to install. I asked her several ? about this and she simply told me that's the new activation thing.

In other word's I asked her if I reformat this PC and install that mean's I can no longer use any kind of ProductKey=

She said NO, that I would have to call and activate this each time from now on.

How many times do you have before they say NO, I heard is was 8

That sucks and as soon as they get Linux working for my server software then this MS crap is gone on that PC. I may now become a wacker since MS is forceing us into it. How many time's can you use your Unattended before this bite's you? That was my backup method. Problem's, then Unattend

I'm wondering if some update along the way changed all this and which one is it? I don't think is was SP2 alone. If I ever figure that out then it will never be installed. I know SP1 changed some things.

Any thought's?