About the Microsoft Copilot Notebook feature

Posted (edited)

Greetings, I am glad to be a member of the forum. As announced here, Microsoft Copilot now includes a Notebook feature. This is an attractive feature that I would like to know how many Windows users have.

Is it similar to ChatGPT?

Edited by Tripredacus
title and link

12 minutes ago, Edmond Emmerich said:

Is it similar to ChatGPT?

I don't think I'll be far from truth saying that the Copilot is just a Microsoft rebrand of ChatGPT with modified GUI.

The article suggests that this so called "Notebook" is an extension to Copilot, I don't see a reason why Microsoft/OpenAI wouldn't be able to implement this feature in ChatGPT too.

• Tripredacus changed the title to About the Microsoft Copilot Notebook feature

After changing the link to the actual announcement instead of some blog, it is written as if Copilot is a front end for various LLMs and other similar systems.

https://www.ghacks.net/2024/05/21/microsoft-announces-copilot-pcs-and-ai-powered-recall-feature/

:thumbdown

If this is to be the future, I prefer to take refuge in Linux.
I have used Linux in the past but it bored me.

My daughter in middle school (2005) had a Linux PC prepared by me I don't remember the distro but it was almost certainly Ubuntu.
She had many compatibility problems compared to other students.
So this experiment was short-lived,if I remember correctly about 2 years.

I have also used other distros,and now I really have no idea which one is best suited for my PC.
Which could be upgraded to Windows 11.....but I still haven't decided whether to do this upgrade.

5 hours ago, Sampei.Nihira said:

(2005) ... many compatibility problems

Things got a lot better on that front.

distros, ... which one is best suited for my PC.

As far as HW compatibility goes, they're all about the same (which is to say pretty good). Almost all come with a "Live" installer, meaning they boot to a full desktop, and can be tried without having to install anything.

still haven't decided whether to do this upgrade.

Why not multiboot, at least while you're trying to decide?

Posted (edited)

Linux has come a long way since 2005, though there are still oddities in places and they still didn't get some banalities right that Windows has done right since forever. So don't be surprised for the lack of polish under the hood and elsewhere. One of the first things I noticed with Raspberry Pi 5 and official Raspberry Pi OS, my session with all open programs was just gone if I turned on the option for screen to go off on inactivity or if I turned off the screen with a button.

It's due to some combination of VideoCore4 graphics driver and Wayland, you can either put a special parameter to the kernel command-line or switch from Wayland to X11. Yeah, Wayland vs X11, that still seems to be a hot topic in 2024, LOL. Wayland was supposed to get graphics / windowing system right and display compositing out-of-the-box, but it just has its own quirks and restrictions and whatever GUI programs you use have to be programmed specially to support Wayland, X11 emulation on Wayland can be costly in performance, at least that was my experience with Vivaldi on Raspberry.

I don't know, being a long-time Windows user and Windows almost always being #1 target for programs and hardware, I don't think I could personally just let it go. Windows 10 should still be fine for a good long while unless some of Windows 11 specialties are desired.

Edited by UCyborg

14 hours ago, 66cats said:

Things got a lot better on that front.

As far as HW compatibility goes, they're all about the same (which is to say pretty good). Almost all come with a "Live" installer, meaning they boot to a full desktop, and can be tried without having to install anything.

Why not multiboot, at least while you're trying to decide?

Thank you for your advice.
No,I hate multiboot.
Today they will probably be outdated problems but I once had many problems with GRUB especially after an LTS update.

4 hours ago, UCyborg said:

Linux has come a long way since 2005, though there are still oddities in places and they still didn't get some banalities right that Windows has done right since forever. So don't be surprised for the lack of polish under the hood and elsewhere. One of the first things I noticed with Raspberry Pi 5 and official Raspberry Pi OS, my session with all open programs was just gone if I turned on the option for screen to go off on inactivity or if I turned off the screen with a button.

It's due to some combination of VideoCore4 graphics driver and Wayland, you can either put a special parameter to the kernel command-line or switch from Wayland to X11. Yeah, Wayland vs X11, that still seems to be a hot topic in 2024, LOL. Wayland was supposed to get graphics / windowing system right and display compositing out-of-the-box, but it just has its own quirks and restrictions and whatever GUI programs you use have to be programmed specially to support Wayland, X11 emulation on Wayland can be costly in performance, at least that was my experience with Vivaldi on Raspberry.

I don't know, being a long-time Windows user and Windows almost always being #1 target for programs and hardware, I don't think I could personally just let it go. Windows 10 should still be fine for a good long while unless some of Windows 11 specialties are desired.

Probably my only fun,in Linux, would be AppArmor profiles.
But AI,Copilot......just no.:D

i'm very confused with all this x11 and wayland switch
some use it some dont, some partial (xfce)
many complain of wayland

don't even know what is better nowdays to use :P

Let's just wait until we see the first author tool that removes or stips ads from Windows 11. Then we'll see how Microsoft reacts to the Community...

Dozens of new AI tools to help them rewrite Windows from scratch and make it a lot better, yet they're wasting resources to make it even worse.

18 hours ago, pioj said:

Let's just wait until we see the first author tool that removes or stips ads from Windows 11. Then we'll see how Microsoft reacts to the Community...

Dozens of new AI tools to help them rewrite Windows from scratch and make it a lot better, yet they're wasting resources to make it even worse.

It will still be very niche. People want clean and simple OS out-of-the-box, without the need for third party tools.

Power Windows users are already accustomed to installing 3rd party enhancement tools. The rest either don't care and uses whatever OS comes with the computer as-is or don't use computer at all. At least that's my impression.

On 5/20/2024 at 11:11 PM, Tripredacus said:

After changing the link to the actual announcement instead of some blog, it is written as if Copilot is a front end for various LLMs and other similar systems.

So not only I had a feeling, that the topic was de facto from spam ad account? :dubbio: