13 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

But if another browser offers such a security feature, why should I disable it? :dubbio: That would make no sense. nimportequoi.gif

Because it's more of a nuisance than genuine security feature.

To me, it's the same s*** most banks are pulling off with convoluted ways to lock access to one's account/banking services to one device. And how are we more "secure" for it?

Agreed!  Absolute BS!

I have one account that has to be logged into at least THREE times per week all from the same EXACT computer.

If I do one of those three from a different computer, I have to call a 1-800 number to have my MFA (multi-factor authentication) reset!

If I fail to log in THREE times within a week, I have to call a 1-800 number to reset MFA.

Any week that contains the 28th thru 31st day of the month, I have to call a 1-800 number to reset MFA even if I log in three times per DAY each and every day of that week!

When asked why that last day of the month always always ALWAYS triggers a "you must call", they tell me it's because "we tried to email you but we have no email on file".

And no!  They will NEVER be given an email address!

PRIVACY RIGHTS are virtually NON-EXISTENT in this day and age.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, UCyborg said:

Because it's more of a nuisance than genuine security feature.

To me, it's the same s*** most banks are pulling off with convoluted ways to lock access to one's account/banking services to one device. And how are we more "secure" for it?

Are we talking about the Chrome flag --disable-encryption or about the machinations of banks when it comes to Online Banking? :dubbio:The latter would then have nothing to do with the actual statement and would only lead to the generation of further off-topic comments like this one:

1 hour ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Agreed!  Absolute BS!

I have one account that has to be logged into at least THREE times per week all from the same EXACT computer.

If I do one of those three from a different computer, I have to call a 1-800 number to have my MFA (multi-factor authentication) reset!

If I fail to log in THREE times within a week, I have to call a 1-800 number to reset MFA.

Any week that contains the 28th thru 31st day of the month, I have to call a 1-800 number to reset MFA even if I log in three times per DAY each and every day of that week!

When asked why that last day of the month always always ALWAYS triggers a "you must call", they tell me it's because "we tried to email you but we have no email on file".

And no!  They will NEVER be given an email address!

PRIVACY RIGHTS are virtually NON-EXISTENT in this day and age.

I would be more interested in a concrete statement on the Chrome flag --disable-encryption than such absurd ramblings. :P

Edited by AstroSkipper

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

concrete statement on the Chrome flag --disable-encryption

Screenshot_2.png.394161fe29ddd05e714e769bdd4b7b27.png

Just guessing here, so take it for what it's worth, but sounds like *all portable browser launchers* must disable encryption, if a machine-specific key is involved. Different machine = different machine-specific key. 

P.S. i know the Magic 8-ball is talking about a different browser, assuming all are basically the same.

Edited by 66cats

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, 66cats said:

Screenshot_2.png.394161fe29ddd05e714e769bdd4b7b27.png

Just guessing here, so take it for what it's worth, but sounds like *all portable browser launchers* must disable encryption, if a machine-specific key is involved. Different machine = different machine-specific key. 

In my case, the main reason for not using this flag is to have especially my few passwords encrypted inside Thorium. One can have whatever opinion one likes about this flag, but enabling encryption does offer a little more security for your own data. I would only switch it off by using this flag if I had to move with my profile. :cool:

Edited by AstroSkipper
correction

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

my few passwords encrypted inside Thorium

There's no reason to use the flag, unless you need Thorium to be fully portable, By "portable," i mean a browser that could be moved to another machine without losing passwords/cookies/etc. 

EDIT: too early in the morning to think, edited. Sorry. 

Edited by 66cats

1 hour ago, AstroSkipper said:

Are we talking about the Chrome flag --disable-encryption or about the machinations of banks when it comes to Online Banking? :dubbio:

I see a bank's MFA app encrypting its files to make them unusable when moved to different computer the same as a web browser encrypting its files to make them unusable when moved to a different computer. You don't even have to move them, just start over with a new Windows install and they're useless.

16 minutes ago, 66cats said:

There's no reason to use the flag, unless you need Thorium to be fully portable, By "portable," i mean a browser that could be moved to another machine without losing passwords/cookies/etc. 

EDIT: too early in the morning to think, edited. Sorry. 

Right! I have already corrected my post. I meant not using this flag, of course. Too early for me, too. :buehehe:

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

In my case, the main reason for not using this flag is to have especially my few passwords encrypted inside Thorium. One can have whatever opinion one likes about this flag, but enabling encryption does offer a little more security for your own data. I would only switch it off by using this flag if I had to move with my profile. :cool:

Encryption creates a unique ID of your machine, it's used for fingerprinting. For example, Thorium developer can trace you by the logs. It's very convenient for devs to see which machine generated an error.

In Brave and other Chromes it's used in guinea pigs "variations" tests. Google what it is.

Edited by D.Draker

11 hours ago, 66cats said:

Yes, but only if you want to have the extensions left, cookies aren't allowed to be transferred anyways!!! I just tried with a site similar to a forum, I copied the browser with this flag to another PC, Cookie became invalid, and I was forced to fully login!

14 minutes ago, D.Draker said:

I copied the browser with this flag to another PC, Cookie became invalid,

For me, all the tabs opened & i was logged into the sites logged into when i saved the folder. Are you running the browser off a flash drive, by any chance? When i tried that (running off a flash drive, instead of copying the folder to the SSD), the browser simply opened to a new tab (instead of opening all the tabs that were opened when the folder was saved). Tried several times, same result, not sure why.

4 minutes ago, 66cats said:

For me, all the tabs opened & i was logged into the sites logged into when i saved the folder. Are you running the browser off a flash drive, by any chance? When i tried that (running off a flash drive, instead of copying the folder to the SSD), the browser simply opened to a new tab (instead of opening all the tabs that were opened when the folder was saved). Tried several times, same result, not sure why.

What file system is used on the USB stick? FAT32? And on your SSD? NTFS:dubbio: BTW, both are from a technical point of view flash drives. :P

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

flash drives

Both are *solid state drives. Oxford Dictionary Google tells me 

Screenshot_6.png.4705baf69cb5820d31008bbba90456e1.png

5 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

USB stick? FAT32? And on your SSD? NTFS?

Could be it, though i think both were NTFS.

Edited by 66cats

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, 66cats said:

Both are *solid state drives. Oxford Dictionary Google tells me 

Screenshot_6.png.4705baf69cb5820d31008bbba90456e1.png

Both use flash memory chips. Drives which use flash memory chips are logically flash drives even when the term flash drive is often used for a USB stick in the English language but not in the German language. But the question was actually a completely different one. That's just a side issue. :P

Edited by AstroSkipper