Not sure why posting the link for testing purposes would be a problem, unless it's a 'dodgy' site of course, which I'm sure it isn't!
:D

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

Not sure why posting the link for testing purposes would be a problem, unless it's a 'dodgy' site of course, which I'm sure it isn't!

Copyright-protected content is also offered for download on this website and therefore conflicts significantly with our forum rules. For this reason, I do not provide a link to Instagram either, as this site provides content that is also absolutely incompatible with our forum rules. :P Even not for testing purposes. :crazy:

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

OK, understood.
The site looks exactly the same in Thorium and 360Chrome.
I don't have any other browsers on XP which are recent enough to test it on.
It looks fine in both of them, but while looking around it, Thorium suddenly closed down on me, something I'd not seen before!
I guess this is the problem you're seeing too.
Going back to Thorium and restoring the session, it then seemed to be fine and didn't crash again.
Instagram is fine on Thorium apart from the memory problem. the tab will crash if I scroll for too long.
Strangely perhaps, Facebook does not have this issue.
:dubbio:

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Dave-H said:

OK, understood.
The site looks exactly the same in Thorium and 360Chrome.
I don't have any other browsers on XP which are recent enough to test it on.
It looks fine in both of them, but while looking around it, Thorium suddenly closed down on me, something I'd not seen before!
I guess this is the problem you're seeing too.

Yep! And I got additionally a warning from Windows XP in form of a yellow warning triangle and an error message. In Mypal 68, however, it works fine without any problems. I think Thorium has to be improved for better website compatibility and general performance on old OSes like, for example, Windows XP. The browser is still too clumsy. Surfing is not really fun. :no: Perhaps, it is still dragging along components that are not really needed in Windows XP. A little neutering might be a good idea. :P The RAM consumption, however, is really good. :)

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

Posted (edited)
On 5/5/2024 at 5:46 PM, AstroSkipper said:

But as I already mentioned, I found a convenient way for me to let websites loading much faster. More about this soon! :)

As I have already mentioned several times, I have been an experienced Android user for more than 14 years. On mobile devices, there is a so-called "desktop view" function in the browser. All websites in mobile browsers are loaded in reduced mode by default, which is also called "mobile view". So, everyone can choose the desired mode themselves. I have retrofitted exactly this function in my Thorium installation with the help of certain extensions. And also in Mypal 68 for reasons of comparison. Many websites that are called up in "mobile view" then load much faster in Thorium. :thumbup But it's not that easy to trick websites and convince them that you're really accessing them on a mobile device. MSFN, for example, refuses to offer the mobile version in Thorium and Mypal 68. :o But more about that later. :)

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

43 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

MSFN, for example, refuses to offer the mobile version. :o

It's called responsive design. There is no "mobile" or "desktop" version, there is only one version I think.

MSFN (board index page) loads in 1.6s to 1.8s in x64 SSE3 build on my XP x64 according to DevTools. Didn't time it on 10 or 11, but it's probably very close to those figures.

Serpent (x86 or x64) takes 3.3s to 3.5s.

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, UCyborg said:

It's called responsive design. There is no "mobile" or "desktop" version, there is only one version I think.

MSFN (board index page) loads in 1.6s to 1.8s in x64 SSE3 build on my XP x64 according to DevTools. Didn't time it on 10 or 11, but it's probably very close to those figures.

Thanks for the hint! Unfortunately, Thorium takes ages to load MSFN pages. New Moon 28 and Mypal 68 load them very quickly. Of course, all on my very old hardware. :P

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

7 hours ago, Dave-H said:

Instagram is fine on Thorium apart from the memory problem.

I increased the page file to 32GB and it helped a bit. At least now I can finish to browse the latest goods in the store where I purchase sports food without crashing.

8 hours ago, Dave-H said:

Funny thing, we avoid linking to the page of Thorium for the very same reason, dodgy site.

Cixert wrote, he had been given two warnings for that, so I completely understand @AstroSkipper, he's just naturally cautious.

https://msfn.org/board/topic/186000-posting-test-string-boot-ini-causes-http-403-forbidden-error/?do=findComment&comment=1264274

20 minutes ago, D.Draker said:

Funny thing, we avoid linking to the page of Thorium for the very same reason, dodgy site.

Cixert wrote, he had been given two warnings for that, so I completely understand @AstroSkipper, he's just naturally cautious.

Yep! Exactly! And I'm no longer in the mood for that. :P 

2 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:
2 hours ago, UCyborg said:

Expand  

Thanks for the hint! Unfortunately, Thorium takes ages to load MSFN pages. New Moon 28 and Mypal 68 load them very quickly. Of course, all on my very old hardware. :P

Interestingly, I changed the window resolution of the Thorium browser. And indeed, reducing the resolution leads to loading the MSFN pages a bit faster. :o

Posted (edited)

With 1 GB page file, I can get to 3,8 GB of total RAM utilization before crashing. 2,86 GB page file gets me to 5 GB. Until the limits are reached, it's stable in that regard.

But all these Chromium browsers can eventually destabilize Windows' USB functionality, despite any browser functions related to USB aren't even working on XP past last 360Chrome versions. At least I had these issues with 360Chrome and they still seem to appear in Thorium, someone else reported related browser crashes related to the former.

A device may stay stuck in Device Manager as it was still plugged in after being unplugged, then there's no power on that USB port, it snaps out of it when you close the browser.

And yeah, this was never meant to run on early XP era machines. That would be on the other level than getting around OS limitations I think.

Edited by UCyborg

Posted (edited)

@UCyborg You are absolutely right. MSFN uses definitely responsive design. I have installed a nice extension called Window Resizer and set up the same resolution as on my tablet. In portrait format, I now get the same, mobile view as on my tablet. :P 
Here is a screenshot with mobile view in Thorium under Windows XP simulating my Android 9 tablet:

Thorium-Mobile-view.png

In this mobile view, MSFN websites called up in Thorium are more responsive and faster in loading than in desktop view:)

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

11 hours ago, D.Draker said:

I increased the page file to 32GB and it helped a bit.

I also use --enable-rgba-4444-textures