Backported/Modded AMD Radeon Driver for Windows XP x86/x64?

SFMG

yeah true but it's not usually games that I'm running anymore as I have actually found a solution but I do have an update.

17 hours ago, Damnation said:

@SFMG

If you're stuck with the RX580 then you'll have to settle for a generic 2D driver in XP.

bearwindows.zcm.com.au/vbempk.zip

so I tried it..........

Needless to say it "worked" somewhat...... but it didn't provide what I needed I don't have dual monitor support I still have abit of screen lag which is what I didn't want I didn't care about D3D or DX9 at all I just wanted it to have Dual Monitor Support and no Screen Lag. needless to say it didn't work

Wouldn’t be viable I can’t drive nor do I have the money for an Uber even if I did drive I wouldn’t have the money for the gas required to around looking

however what could be possible would be the fact that the driver is probably not being properly installed by device manager. if there is a way to do it better or fix whatever it's doing wrong would be better

you actually may not need a fast grafic card for an old game either, some just give a old card they no longer need - because often they get thrown into the trash bag

even the prices are often like very low maybe 5 dollars, thats affordable

Who would bother to sell any item for $5, post an advertisement, and package it? If it is worth $5, it will never go on sale and unfortunately be in trash.

3 hours ago, j7n said:

Who would bother to sell any item for $5, post an advertisement, and package it? If it is worth $5, it will never go on sale and unfortunately be in trash.

Yard sales in rural areas?

On 3/3/2024 at 8:47 PM, user57 said:

some games actually dont work on certain operating systems, i think Resident Evil 1 needed windows 95

Lot of buggy code in some old games, seems to be the major reason for not working or not working well, I used to write patches for some of them.

I still think XP sucks in graphics department, even with a working graphics driver. Dual monitor? Yikes, can't have a Direct3D render smoothly on non-primary display. Even with just one screen, s***'s just often laggy and overdrawing each other when multiple windows are involved. Bleh.

so you would recommend just use my main monitor and leave it at that? seems fair. all thats left is the driver then can't find one but I've decided to give up for now as I have no way of creating, modding, or backporting the driver with whats available....... Yet....... I'll just have to wait for now I've opted to install Win7, Win8.1, Win11, Manjaro Linux as that seems to work well for me.

42 minutes ago, UCyborg said:

Lot of buggy code in some old games, seems to be the major reason for not working or not working well, I used to write patches for some of them.

I still think XP sucks in graphics department, even with a working graphics driver. Dual monitor? Yikes, can't have a Direct3D render smoothly on non-primary display. Even with just one screen, s***'s just often laggy and overdrawing each other when multiple windows are involved. Bleh.

sounds about right

2 hours ago, SFMG said:

so you would recommend just use my main monitor and leave it at that? seems fair. all thats left is the driver then can't find one but I've decided to give up for now as I have no way of creating, modding, or backporting the driver with whats available....... Yet.......

Drivers are complicated, especially graphics drivers, I'm happy if I can mod an program easier that doesn't run in the kernel. Multi-monitor setup is useful, thumbs up in any case if you can get it working. I'm just used to working in modern environment, while having old enough hardware that has full driver support for XP and since I still mess with XP occasionally, I merely wanted to point out there are some things about XP nobody talks about. Though it's also true there are crazy things you can do in XP that you can't do in newer versions anymore, eg. locking primary surface with DirectDraw to render something directly on the desktop.

And the audio stack and related capabilities exposed through DirectSound, which still has HAL layer in XP. Creative's sound cards 3D mixing and audio effects (EAX) are exposed through it, though I've never owned a more complicated sound card, just simpler onboard stuff, still, one of those had some limited capabilities, enough to make Interstate '76 freeze entirely when you clicked something menu, which made DirectSound 3D Buffer, if hardware buffer could be created, it caused an issue, though I haven't investigated why software buffer worked and hardware one caused freezing. Though there are number of other issues with that game, but that's one of the the first things I noticed all those years ago, coming from Windows 95 to XP. That was a different time.

I seem to recall @Tripredacus mentioning something else nice about the audio stack, something about outputting sound simultaneously, don't recall the details. Maybe he remembers.

6 hours ago, UCyborg said:

I seem to recall @Tripredacus mentioning something else nice about the audio stack, something about outputting sound simultaneously, don't recall the details. Maybe he remembers.

If it is about simultaneous output of sounds, it was in relation to a computer I had built for a client that used 4 sound cards (3 discrete + onboard) and ran on Windows XP 64bit. The specs for that may be located on a backup hard drive somewhere, I could attempt to find the info if required but it doesn't appear that is related to this topic.

Personally, I've resorted to building physical computers to run the older games. Mainly because some of them have hardware requirements that cannot be used in a VM or emulator. Then again, I know of others who exclusively use VMs for running games and not their host OS. As long as the game doesn't have any special hardware requirement, it should be possible but a LOT of research and testing may be involved.

A site you should check out to see if any old game has a patch or way to run on the modern OS (it may be limited to modern re-releases) is https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Home

People need to realise - no porting will happen, just stock up on old hardware while you can. Next year it will be 11 years since they fully dropped Windows XP support.

And still no ported/modded drivers exist.