916 members have voted

1. 1. Whats the best Defragmentation Software

• Diskeeper
    • O&O
    • Perfect Disk
    • System Mechanic
    • Contig
    • Power Defragmenter

I've been using O&O Defrag PRO 6.5 since it was released and I thought it was great except for:

• its usage of TCP/IP ports which messed with my firewall settings
  • difficult to get the boot-time defrag going
  • 9.5-to-20+MB background memory usage for "smart" defrag
  • "Optomize" function just doesn't seem to behave intelligently
  • very few customization options

Finally, I had this problem: I had the "smart" stealth optomization defrag set--so I thought I was OK for fragmentation. Then my PC crashed 3x while trying to DVDShrink an ISO. As it turns out, the file was a bit fragmented--approx 3000 fragments actually! Then I manually defragged, turns out I had ~20 files with 5 or more fragments, the MFT was 90% of max. size and highly fragmented...

This week I installed Diskeeper 9 Pro and am loving it, easy to use and much fewer system resources (haven't seen it run over ~8MB yet, O&O had min. 9.5); more config options; MFT and PAGEFILE options; and just gives more useful info. All this at the same price point?

Now, I know what y'all were going to say--but I still haven't tried PerfectDisk, so I'm not yet converted;)

My vote goes to O&O Defrag, but I think that will change..O&O Defrag latest version is 6 months old..

Diskeeper and Perfect Disk just released a new version with features that O&O doesnt have yet… although O&O was the best one when this poll started.. Perfect Disk is now the best one.. (with just 1 extra feature, metadata defrag)

based on this thread:

O&O Defrag V6.5 Professional Edition (v6.5) 17 votes

Perfect Disk V6 (v6.0) 12 votes

Diskeeper 9 Professional (v9.0 build 504) 12 votes

But then again 80% of the votes were made when Diskeeper and Perfect Disk didnt have there newest version out... So if those people were to test the other 2 programs now.. perfect disk would probably take the lead

So based on the facts:

Perfect disk is the best

followed directly! by Diskeeper

then comes O&O defrag

/me is gonna test perfect disk now.. O&O doest defrag the mft and the meta date... perfect disk does now :)

O&O *DOES* defrag the MFT. (I'm pretty sure it's been doing that for a LONG time too)

Metadata is hardly an issue imho.

Which one is best can't really be decided by polls, nor just features alone.

I think the main 2 things are:

-How well it defrags

-How fast it defrags

Then after that perhaps stability, GUI and such come in play too...

its does defrag it.. though it doesnt bring it to the edge of the harddrive for faster acces... perfect disk en diskeeper are doing that

I'm now download perfect disk.. to check it out... I just formated and installed loads of s***, I looked at it with O&O and its a mess :P

but I wont defrag it with O&O.. I wanna check if perfect disk really moves the mft to the front :)

Moving MFT to the front - agreed.

As for diskeeper, I'm not sure if it really does that properly (haven't looked into it much as I really don't like it and wouldn't use it anyways).

I know for a fact perfectdisk will move the MFT and metadata to their proper locations. It will leave the MFTRZ alone too. The thing with defrag MFT and moving it is, it can only be done during offline defrag (boot time), which I hardly do.

But again, I find what matters most is how well and how fast it defrags - which is a bit hard to quantitize, especially when it comes down to things like MFT defragging, not like you can very easily tell how well it defrag'ed it. And the numbers might vary a lot in cases where partition's filesystems were converted or resized (shrinking a partition usually does not shrink the MFT back, which can cause issues and tons of issues like that) or different partition sizes and many more factors...

What I know is, PerfectDisk seems to do a great job at defragging and pretty fast, I haven't had issues with it at all. O&O was my previous pick (over Diskeeper - which I'd rather not even comment onto) and was pretty good too, but it's not quite PerfectDisk :)

On a lighter note, I just checked the defrag status and OMG, with the exception of the MFT zone - everything's RED! (File fragmentation factor:9, Directory fragmentation: 10) Guess it's about time I defrag it...

• 2 weeks later...

I've used PerfectDisk since converting over from Diskeeper.

Diskeeper was a nightmare for me numerous times on different systems. Basically it would hose a system on install [sometimes] and the uninstall had issues as well. After this happening enough times I threw it out and registered PerfectDisk and I've never looked back.

I've never used O&O but my girlfriend uses it on her work computers and loves it.

rotjong