5 hours ago, nicolaasjan said:

uBO (web extension version) can strip these parameters. :)

• AdGuard URL Tracking Protection (built in)
  • Actually Legitimate URL Shortener Tool; from:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/DandelionSprout/adfilt/master/LegitimateURLShortener.txt

For Pale Moon/New Moon: Pure URL.

https://deusrex.neocities.org/xul/pureurl/pureurl

https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/pureurl4pm/

Unfortunately, I am not a uBO user, but thanks anyway. Would it actually be possible with Adblock Plus? Since that's what I use.

Edited by mina7601

1 hour ago, UCyborg said:

... Not being a JS coder and not involved at all in IT during the time of the "big browser wars", I was unaware of such coding subtleties :blushing: - was it Microsoft (and their IE) then the "true first" ? FWIW, I tried the sample download page in my IE9 copy and it didn't work there :no: ; nor did it work in FxESR 52 (which is understandable now, given the linked "Browser compatibility" table above) ...

As for UXP, MC first declared an interest in implementing this feature in Pale Moon some 5 1/2 years ago, but good ol' M.A.T. was adamant against it :P ; with the latter "out of the picture", it was not until April of last year that it finally got implemented but, due to MC "being on the fence about it", only behind a disabled about:config pref :whistle: ; it's all inside:

https://repo.palemoon.org/MoonchildProductions/UXP/issues/595

23 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:
On 2/12/2024 at 6:47 PM, AstroSkipper said:

The download from the website https://thesage-english-dictionary-and-thesaurus.sooftware.com/windows/download/395678 doesn't work in the most recent and the previous version of New Moon 28. Here is a screenshot:

New-Moon-28-sooftware.png

Besides a CSP warning, the issue is mainly related to a function in the JavaScript file download.js of this website. The culprit is the performDownload function. In Mypal68, the download of both files is working.

Cheers, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

I had a deeper look inside the JavaScript file download.js. Here is the code of the performDownload function:

(function(){function performDownload(num){event.preventDefault();var xmlHttp=new XMLHttpRequest();xmlHttp.onreadystatechange=function(){if(xmlHttp.readyState==4&&xmlHttp.status==200){var response_text=xmlHttp.responseText;if(response_text.includes("sooftware.com/apps/"))
location.assign(response_text);else window.open(response_text,'_blank');}}
xmlHttp.open("post",tmp_folder+"performDownload.php?softId="+download_files_hash+"&linkNumber="+num);xmlHttp.send();return false}

The window property event is not defined (download.js:1:43). I think the variable num should actually have been there instead of event to get the preventDefault function working. In New Moon 28, the script therefore doesn't seem to be executed in contrast to Mypal 68. IMHO, event is obviously not defined in the download.js file when looking into it. Just my thoughts. :dubbio:

Ok! I injected a userscript in this website where I completely removed the event.preventDefault() function. The download is working then. Or, the pref dom.window.event.enabled has to be set to true as suggested by @VistaLover. I personally tend to do the latter.

Cheers, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

7 hours ago, mina7601 said:

Unfortunately, I am not a uBO user, but thanks anyway. Would it actually be possible with Adblock Plus? Since that's what I use.

<Offtopic>

I would say, try in a fresh test profile. :)

But I think it doesn't support that syntax.

Copilot:

I’m sorry, but I couldn’t find specific information about Adblock Plus supporting the $removeparam syntax. However, it’s worth noting that Adblock Plus does support most of the EasyList filter syntax 1. For the most accurate information, I recommend checking the official Adblock Plus documentation or their support forums.

The URL for the "AdGuard URL Tracking Protection" list is:

https://filters.adtidy.org/extension/ublock/filters/17.txt

That said, why don't you try uBO?

It's far superior to Adblock Plus. :yes:

</Offtopic>

8 hours ago, nicolaasjan said:

That said, why don't you try uBO?

It's far superior to Adblock Plus. :yes:

I totally agree. :thumbup And to tame and purify bloated websites, which are unbearable, for example, in New Moon 28, the extension uBlock Origin with good filter lists selected is the ultimate tool. Therefore, your recommendation here is not off-topic at all. :no: A wonderful example is the website https://www.pcwelt.de/. If you surf this website with New Moon 28, you'll puke if you access it without the content blocker uBlock Origin. vomit2.gif Especially on weaker hardware. :yes:  However, with uBlock Origin enabled, it blocks nearly 1000 requests in my installation. Now, this site can be accessed easily again and seems to be suddenly a light one. :thumbup

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

14 hours ago, nicolaasjan said:

why don't you try uBO?

... He's mentioned that publicly in a previous post, the gist of it being: "it's difficult to familiarise with and old, as it hasn't been updated since 2021" (speaking about the XUL variant, of course) :whistle:...

Edited by VistaLover

8 minutes ago, VistaLover said:

... He's mentioned that publicly in a previous post, the gist of it being "it's old" and "it hasn't been updated since 2021" (speaking about the XUL variant, of course) :whistle:...

That's indeed very funny. If something from 2021/2022 is old, then it's better not to use Windows XP or Windows Vista. They are much, much older. :buehehe:

BTW, is it not rather the case that the legacy version of Adblock Plus is much older than the legacy version of uBlock Origin:dubbio: I had a look at GitHub. The last version there is 2.9.1 from June 2017. nonono.gif Same version in the CAA. And its repository has been archived by the owner on Jan 26, 2024 https://github.com/adblockplus/adblockplus-legacy/tags. It is now read-only. :o I can't find any more recent version right away. jexplique.gif And Adblock Latitude in version 5.0.9 is from May 2022 which I tried a very short time in the past. Very resource-hungry and not recommendable. :no: So far as New Moon or other UXP browsers are concerned, Adblock Plus and its forks are not really an interesting alternative to uBlock Originnimportequoi.gif And even the last webextension of Adblock Plus for Serpent in version 3.12 is from May 2022. Same problem with the webextension Adblocker Ultimate. The version 3.7.12, which is the last compatible version with Serpent, is from Oktober 2021smilie_denk_24.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

On 2/11/2024 at 2:32 PM, VistaLover said:

As for GitHub, I wouldn't want a GH tab auto-reload in the middle of me composing a New Issue or comment :unsure: ... Thank you :) , though, for the recommendation (which, again, is no good for "upstream" and NM28, since WEs are out of the question...).

Hi @VistaLover, apologies for the delay. Life call. I have never used palemon (except @roytam1's builds), so I'm not concerned with their approach and inherent limitations. As per https://webextension.org/listing/tab-reloader.html, I use it countersensically to effectively limit the rampant refresh behavior of scrip bloated sites. Specifically, I ask the extension to reload only every 30 minutes (which it does effectively), to not reload active tab (only those in the background at set time, using cache), to bypass form submission (which works only when pressed to do so), and to not reload offline tabs (which I do put them so, when I want to prevent their being awoken or discarded without permission). If you take a look at the code, you will see the addon uses scripts and workers that mostly prevent updating/refresh operations, preventing trash buildup. You can also set up custom scripts and policies (which I have not used so far), but may be of use for more specific tasks. ALLWAYS REMEMBER TO SAVE OPTIONS (bottom of addon's settings page). I also attached by settings for export, if anyone is interested. In my set up, with those settings I seem to effectively reduce undue garbage collection and overload. Not 100%, I guess, but noticeably so.  Cheers! 

Noname.png

Tabloader.json

Edited by dmiranda

9 hours ago, VistaLover said:

... He's mentioned that publicly in a previous post, the gist of it being: "it's difficult to familiarise with and old, as it hasn't been updated since 2021" (speaking about the XUL variant, of course) :whistle:...

That + too advanced for me to use.

BTW, I really have no problem with using old stuff, but I mean, when it's something that gets an update after a month or so (like the case with uBO Legacy), and it stops getting updates suddenly, without even specifying this will be the last version, then that's what worries me, but I didn't really stop using uBO because of what "old" means to people. No, really, I didn't.

Edited by mina7601

8 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

That's indeed very funny. If something from 2021/2022 is old, then it's better not to use Windows XP or Windows Vista. They are much, much older. :buehehe:

No, no, no, I never said that, and don't even plan to do that at all. In fact, I actually find using old OSes like XP or Vista (and even 2000, if we are to go to the mimimum of Older NT-Family OSes) very fun. Please, don't assume stuff I don't plan to say. Also, I don't disrespect your own reasons for not wanting to use something, so please, kindly respect my own reasons for not wanting to use something. Thanks.

Edited by mina7601

7 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

BTW, is it not rather the case that the legacy version of Adblock Plus is much older than the legacy version of uBlock Origin:dubbio: I had a look at GitHub. The last version there is 2.9.1 from June 2017. nonono.gif Same version in the CAA. And its repository has been archived by the owner on Jan 26, 2024 https://github.com/adblockplus/adblockplus-legacy/tags. It is now read-only. :o I can't find any more recent version right away. jexplique.gif And Adblock Latitude in version 5.0.9 is from May 2022 which I tried a very short time in the past. Very resource-hungry and not recommendable. :no: So far as New Moon or other UXP browsers are concerned, Adblock Plus and its forks are not really an interesting alternative to uBlock Originnimportequoi.gif And even the last webextension of Adblock Plus for Serpent in version 3.12 is from May 2022. Same problem with the webextension Adblocker Ultimate. The version 3.7.12, which is the last compatible version with Serpent, is from Oktober 2021smilie_denk_24.gif

Oh, and I was talking about the current Adblock Plus from its homepage https://adblockplus.org/en/download for my browser Chrome on my Windows 11, not the legacy Adblock Plus for roytam1's browsers, hence the <Offtopic> tag added by @nicolaasjan.

7 minutes ago, mina7601 said:

and I was talking about the current Adblock Plus from its homepage
https://adblockplus.org/en/download 
for my browser Chrome on my Windows 11, not the legacy Adblock Plus for roytam1's browsers,

... I see now :P (but missed it altogether initially, here being a "legacy" browser thread :o ) ; the first (small) "derailment" then was by my dear friend Nicolaas :) :

On 2/12/2024 at 8:26 PM, nicolaasjan said:

uBO (web extension version) can strip these parameters. :)

• AdGuard URL Tracking Protection (built in)
  • Actually Legitimate URL Shortener Tool; from:

1 hour ago, mina7601 said:
9 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

No, no, no, I never said that, and don't even plan to do that at all. In fact, I actually find using old OSes like XP or Vista (and even 2000, if we are to go to the mimimum of Older NT-Family OSes) very fun. Please, don't assume stuff I don't plan to say. Also, I don't disrespect your own reasons for not wanting to use something, so please, kindly respect my own reasons for not wanting to use something. Thanks

What are you here talking about? scratch_one-s_head.gif My statement doesn't mention you at all. nimportequoi.gif It was just a reply to @VistaLover. Grammatically, it's simply a conditional clause type I. That means it expresses a fulfilable wish or condition. Furthermore, it was formulated without any reference to a certain person, which apparently escaped your attention for whatever reason. :whistle: First read, then think, and only then post would be much wiser! smilie_denk_24.gif And please, stop such kind of interpretions! Thanks!

Edited by AstroSkipper

45 minutes ago, mina7601 said:

Oh, and I was talking about the current Adblock Plus from its homepage https://adblockplus.org/en/download for my browser Chrome on my Windows 11, not the legacy Adblock Plus for roytam1's browsers, hence the <Offtopic> tag added by @nicolaasjan.

As @VistaLover already pointed out, this is a thread about @roytam1's browsers and only about extensions targeting these browsers. @nicolaasjan indeed used the <Offtopic> tag but you didn't. That kind of offtopic from you causes such misunderstandings in the end. Windows 11, Chrome browsers and their webextensions are definitely not the topic here. nimportequoi.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
correction