Supermium on Windows 8

sonyu

any webkit compatible browser for w7 / w8 / w8.1 ?

supermium is closed automatically after 2 seconds when launched

tried this as I have seen in other webkit based browser: --no-sandbox --use-webgpu-adapter=d3d11

or do I need to use ms-api... dll or DWrite.dll like in a previous version I used some months ago?

Edited by sonyu

I got 64-bit Ungoogled Chromium 118.0.5993.88 running on Windows 8.1 (without sandbox, could be dangerous, --no-sandbox) with some patching and DWrite.dll from my daily driver Win10 20H2.

This DWrite.dll requires making a hard link (or copy) of Win8.1's api-ms-win-core-localization-obsolete-l1-2-0.dll named as api-ms-win-core-localization-l1-2-2.dll in Windows\System32 folder to work without modifications.

Installer also works if you use Application Verifier to fake Windows version as Windows 10.
setup.exe must be set to get Win10 version info, you can add it without actually having to point the Verifier at real setup.exe, which in this case gets extracted when the installer is run. There's a thread somewhere I'm too lazy to find ATM that describes how to use Application Verifier to install Office 2010 on XP x64, for this it's similar, except the version info you input and that you can get matching version of Application Verifier from Windows 8.1 SDK, which is still available for download.

Edited by UCyborg

3 hours ago, UCyborg said:

This DWrite.dll requires making a hard link (or copy) of Win8.1's api-ms-win-core-localization-obsolete-l1-2-0.dll named as api-ms-win-core-localization-l1-2-2.dll in Windows\System32 folder to work without modifications.

But you wrote about my solution "Dixel's suggestion about "api-ms-win-core-localization-l1-2-0.dll" is redundant", So what changed? 

https://msfn.org/board/topic/184454-last-version-of-software-for-windows-81/?do=findComment&comment=1254742

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, yoltboy01 said:

Supermium, right?

yes, Supermium portable 119 without additional flags.

But is there some advantage of using this flag?: 

--use-webgpu-adapter=d3d11

Edited by sonyu

1 hour ago, sonyu said:

Supermium portable 119 without additional flags.

Hi :) ; are you just referring to the "zipped" distributions:

https://github.com/win32ss/supermium/releases/download/v119/supermium_119_32.zip

https://github.com/win32ss/supermium/releases/download/v119/supermium_119_64.zip

or is it you are employing some kind of portable launcher with these :dubbio:?

AFAIAA, even the "zipped" version would write its profile (aka "User Data") in %LOCALAPPDATA%, is this not the case?

FTR, I'm on Vista SP2 32-bit and would like to test the freshly implemented Vista x86 support, but am not really comfortable with a "proper" installation :whistle:...

Cheers.

13 minutes ago, VistaLover said:

Hi :) ; are you just referring to the "zipped" distributions:

https://github.com/win32ss/supermium/releases/download/v119/supermium_119_32.zip

https://github.com/win32ss/supermium/releases/download/v119/supermium_119_64.zip

or is it you are employing some kind of portable launcher with these :dubbio:?

AFAIAA, even the "zipped" version would write its profile (aka "User Data") in %LOCALAPPDATA%, is this not the case?

FTR, I'm on Vista SP2 32-bit and would like to test the freshly implemented Vista x86 support, but am not really comfortable with a "proper" installation :whistle:...

Cheers.

yes, the zipped distribution. I thought it was a portable version. 

thanks for clearing that up

Edited by sonyu

On 10/31/2023 at 4:38 PM, sonyu said:

any webkit compatible browser for w7 / w8 / w8.1 ?

supermium is closed automatically after 2 seconds when launched

tried this as I have seen in other webkit based browser: --no-sandbox --use-webgpu-adapter=d3d11

or do I need to use ms-api... dll or DWrite.dll like in a previous version I used some months ago?

working on Windows 8.0 (NT 6.2)

still crashing / closing when opened after 2 seconds on Windows Server 2012 (NT 6.2) (R1), I don't know why

On 12/4/2023 at 2:34 PM, Dixel said:

Is it now fully portable? Did you try already?

Unfortunately, no. When I move the allegedly portable folder with Supermium to another PC, it resets everything, don't forget to add the problem with its files it needs in the system folder.

On 12/7/2023 at 4:46 PM, sonyu said:

working on Windows 8.0 (NT 6.2)

still crashing / closing when opened after 2 seconds on Windows Server 2012 (NT 6.2) (R1), I don't know why

Update:

Supermium 119 x64 working on Windows 8.0 without flags

Supermium 119 x64 working on Server 2012 (6.2 / R1) with --no-sandbox (need to try tomorrow on different system too)

Catsxp beta 120 x64 portable working on both Server 2012 and Windows 8.0 without flags

Video playing working too :)

supermium is superfast

Edited by sonyu