Registration is currently disabled

VistaLover

Hello there :P ; I became aware a while ago via this reference below (in another forum thread ;)) :

On 10/29/2023 at 1:22 PM, roytam1 said:

(P.S.: just noticed that no new registration is available here now)

... and I can still verify this today:

sYHPTiS.png

Can a member of the mod team kindly share some additional info with regards to this decision?
Is it something temporary and if yes, how long will this measure last for?

I'm not that preoccupied myself though ;), if anything, it'll stop "persons" from further "cloning" their MSFN accounts :whistle:(you know, those ones that many existing members - including me - are convinced they exist, but no-one, including the mods, can, beyond doubt, prove they belong to the same physical person :sneaky:), still it'd be welcome if some clarification on its implementation was communicated to plain members...

Kindest regards :) (BTW, Happy Halloween to those that observe it!) .

18 minutes ago, VistaLover said:

Happy Halloween to those that observe it!

Some Halloween trivia - one of the worst snowfalls ever to land on Halloween was 1917.

What followed was the "Purple Death" of 1918 where 675,000 people in the US (21 million worldwide) died from the Spanish flu (more than WWI, WWII, Korean, and Vietnam wars COMBINED).

Side note - it snowed on Halloween here in the midwest USA in 2019 - related to Covid 19 that followed?  Just a fun fact, I guess, lol.

Snow on Halloween is actually extremely rare.  Less than 3% chance if I recall.

4 hours ago, VistaLover said:

Hello there :P ; I became aware a while ago via this reference below (in another forum thread ;)) :

... and I can still verify this today:

sYHPTiS.png

Can a member of the mod team kindly share some additional info with regards to this decision?
Is it something temporary and if yes, how long will this measure last for?

I'm not that preoccupied myself though ;), if anything, it'll stop "persons" from further "cloning" their MSFN accounts :whistle:(you know, those ones that many existing members - including me - are convinced they exist, but no-one, including the mods, can, beyond doubt, prove they belong to the same physical person :sneaky:), still it'd be welcome if some clarification on its implementation was communicated to plain members...

Kindest regards :) (BTW, Happy Halloween to those that observe it!) .

Not sure I understand, could you please elaborate, you already have an account, but still want to register another fake one? I think it's forbidden, sorry in advance, if I misunderstood.

I did not read his post as attempting to register a fake account.

<OT> In my opinion, there kind of is no difference between the "trolls" we have here and a "fake" account - the end result is basically the same. </OT>

My hunch is that the registration process may have inadvertently been broken when we were being hit with HUNDREDS of spam-bot posts for a few days in a row and had to solve that very quickly.

Sure, I'd rather see "no new members allowed" than those HUNDREDS of spam-bot posts literally SECONDS apart and lasting for HOURS.

But MSFN will fade into the sunset if we don't allow new members.

Though on the other hand, purely from an economical feasibility perspective, if we were to take our last 5,000 posts and find that 4,900 of them all came from 20 members, then, um, well...

3 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

I did not read his post as attempting to register a fake account.

He wrote "just noticed that no new registration is available here now".

Thank you for the attempt to explain, I still find strange why would he be looking at the registration page, I didn't even look at that page myself since I got my account several years ago.

10 minutes ago, D.Draker said:

since I got my account several years ago.

same here

no clue, despite the "how" it was discovered, should it really matter?  needs fixed regardless of how it was found, correct?  or if MSFN is no longer accepting new members, shouldn't that be revealed to existing members?

at any rate, i'm not concerned with the "why" or the "how" it was found

if the mods didn't know about it, then why throw stones at the person that brought it to their attention?

i guess that's how i see it  --  "why throw stones?"

8 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

as far as that goes, Roytam made the discovery, were stones thrown at Roytam for his observation?

rhetorical question  :hello:

actually it is not my discovery, but a NM28 chinese language pack user who has no msfn account while I told him to ask question about updating NM language pack here.

later he told me that he can't register a new account here by email.

• 1 month later...
On 12/3/2023 at 9:43 AM, RamonUn said:

There is someone that would like to register on MSFN forus, he is curently unable to do so.

Is there any admin that could do something for this person?

You can see the discussion over here: https://github.com/Feodor2/Mypal68/issues/332#issuecomment-1837217471

Yes, we can manually create accounts, but someone (like you) would have to act as an intermediary with the person to get information to me. The only information I need is their email address and username that they'd like to use. If you can talk to this person and get that info, you can PM it to me and I can make the account.

• 4 weeks later...