Good Portable Browser for a Windows 7 Notebook

Monroe

Download UnGoogled Chromium here:

https://portapps.io/app/ungoogled-chromium-portable/

Then simply replace everything in the chrome folder with.

https://ungoogled-software.github.io/ungoogled-chromium-binaries/releases/windows/64bit/109.0.5414.120-1

or

https://ungoogled-software.github.io/ungoogled-chromium-binaries/releases/windows/64bit/109.0.5414.75-1

Here is what differs from the original release to ensure portability:

Following switches are passed to the process.

--user-data-dir=<data_path>: Directory where the browser stores the user profile. <data_path> is dynamically generated at launch.

--no-default-browser-check: Stops Ungoogled Chromium from checking if it is the default browser at startup.

--disable-logging: Force logging to be disabled.

--disable-breakpad: Disables the crash reporting.

--disable-machine-id: Allows disabling the machine ID generation on Windows.

--disable-encryption-win: Allows disabling encryption on Windows for cookies, passwords, settings…

--disable-machine-id and --disable-encryption-win have been specially crafted to ensure portability. This means that passwords, cookies and other settings will not be encrypted on your hard drive. It is therefore advisable to have this data on an encrypted hard disk. 

Still having difficulties? Try this ready made release (but older).

https://github.com/portapps/ungoogled-chromium-portable/releases/tag/103.0.5060.114-15

Looks like the OP's problem is solved. But to clarify for others:

Version 109 is the last Chromium version to "officially" support Win 7, 8, or 8.1. I doubt you'll have any trouble opening Web sites with version 109, even though it's not the latest. Chromium 109 has also been patched to block the WebP exploit, if you're at all concerned about that.

If you ever want/need a newer Chromium version, Supermium is an unofficial fork that allows the latest version (currently 118, I think) to run on Windows Vista and up (so 7, 8, and 8.1 too). You can make it portable too. However, Supermium currently doesn't provide an "unGoogled" version. (Someone needs to get on that!)

The OP's issues with Amazon puzzle me. Amazon works just fine for me even in Serpent 55, which is one of @roytam1's XP-compatible browsers. Of course, on Win 7 you can use official Pale Moon or Basilisk, which should also work with Amazon. But I think unGoogled Chromium 109 will give most Win 7 users the best compatibility with modern Web sites.

And, the other page posted by the author works on Chromium 87, and there's a Chromium 87 for Windows XP (Kaffan MiniBrowser). That's the best browser for viewing modern pages on XP, however it might require a bit of spoofing in the future.

On 10/7/2023 at 7:51 PM, Mathwiz said:

Version 109 is the last Chromium version to "officially" support Win 7, 8, or 8.1. I doubt you'll have any trouble opening Web sites with version 109

Version 109 is almost a year old. There already are troubles with it, like in the case with the British milk site, I too had troubles with it and 110 is barely hanging on.

On 10/7/2023 at 7:51 PM, Mathwiz said:

Supermium currently doesn't provide an "unGoogled" version. (Someone needs to get on that!)

I guess kiss the unGoogled Supermium idea goodbye. From what we can see by the comments/issues/suggestions at the github's page,

many would like to have it Googled - to be able to use Google services.

Hence the newly added Google sync or whatever they call it.

Ed_Sin said:

| Any Firefox browser, as well as its forks, Waterfox, Palemoon, can easily be made portable.  |To do this, make a cmd file in the browser folder with the following line: firefox.exe -Profile |"username" If there will be another browser, then accordingly: waterfox.exe -Profile  |"username"

Would you please explain what this shall do ?

13 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Debatable.  But opinions are like butts.  We all have one, doesn't mean we want to hear them.  :wacko:

In terms of opening sites - yes, take mediamarkt, for example. In terms of portability (which this topic is about) - no.

Kaffan MiniBrowser is simply not portable, like Supermium, so both are off-topic.

9 hours ago, Dixel said:

From what we can see by the comments/issues/suggestions at the github's page, many would like to have it Googled - to be able to use Google services.

I'm sure that's true. But there's no law against having both Googled and unGoogled versions of the same browser. And it's open source, so it doesn't have to be done by Supermium's author. Anyone can fork the code and apply the standard unGoogled Chromium changes.

5 hours ago, Cocodile said:

Kafan MiniBrowser is simply not portable, like Supermium, so both are off-topic.

As delivered, no, they're not. But both can be made portable in the same manner as other Chromium browsers.

5 hours ago, jassenna said:

Ed_Sin said:

Any Firefox browser, as well as its forks, Waterfox, Palemoon, can easily be made portable. To do this, make a .cmd file in the browser folder with the following line: firefox.exe -Profile "username" If there will be another browser, then accordingly: waterfox.exe -Profile  "username"

Would you please explain what this shall do ?

With Firefox-derived browsers, portability is just a matter of telling the browser to store its profile directory in the folder it was launched from, instead of the fixed C:\Users directory the browser would use by default. That way, you can put the browser on a thumb drive, move it from PC to PC, and your extensions and settings all move with it. You can do this with a .cmd file (fka a .bat file) that you launch instead of the .exe, which is what Ed's suggestion does.

3 hours ago, Mathwiz said:

As delivered, no, they're not. But both can be made portable in the same manner as other Chromium browsers.

And how do you know it? Did you try them? Well try, you will see - they are not. Both Kaffan MiniBrowser and Supermium will reset everything to zero.

All extensions will be gone, everything. Portability flags don't work there. So don't spread falsehoods, please.

5 hours ago, Karla Sleutel said:

Exactly! Despite the cons Brave has - it is truly portable, all flags @Dixel wrote here, they all work in Brave.