Supermium

Just now, Dixel said:

Which 100% confirms what I write before about non-standard browsers.

But Firefox 128 is a normal browser, it's up-to-date, just softpedia protection is overdone, I get such sites that show captcha on any browser, maybe they react to my IP.

22 minutes ago, Dixel said:

No "misleading" on my part as I said !I don't know!.

I delete it, also isn't misleading, it's being honest. I honestly delete it, always, so?

I hope you are listening to yourself.  You just delete files willy nilly without even knowing what they are!  Got it.

I hope the Lemmings that follow your every word are also listening.  And we ALL know that they are.  The "likes" are about to tROLL in.  Sit back and watch.  We all know it!

"I don't know, but Dixel deletes it and that's good enough for me."

11 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

I hope you are listening to yourself.  You just delete files willy nilly without even knowing what they are!  Got it.

I hope the Lemmings that follow your every word are also listening.  And we ALL know that they are.  The "likes" are about to tROLL in.  Sit back and watch.  We all know it!

"I don't know, but Dixel deletes it and that's good enough for me."

Per your provided link, it says it's basically a garbage file (for us, on older OS, which the topic is about), it's allegedly intended to fix a Win 10 icon bug.

Edit.

Don't you think it's waaaaay too big for that?

Edited by Dixel

11 hours ago, ED_Sln said:

But Firefox 128 is a normal browser, it's up-to-date, just softpedia protection is overdone, I get such sites that show captcha on any browser, maybe they react to my IP.

It doesn't explain why people started to see that triggered protection with this release. I assume they are still using their old IP.

The "likes" are about to tROLL in.  Sit back and watch.  We all know it!

Hey, what do you want? You stopped posting interesting content, so no likes, don't be jealous. Write us something about the dreaded FF or uB "lite", get 'em a lot.

In another topic, obviously. Another candidates include Adguard, 7zip, etc.

36 minutes ago, Dixel said:

Don't you think it's waaaaay too big for that?

Not really sure.  I myself (even on Win10) do not use it and I ALSO DELETE IT!

My point here is that I'm not "hinting" to others to delete a file without also INFORMING them of the REAL FUNCTION of that file.

You're smart enough to see that difference.  But also TOO PROUD to admit that maybe somebody else may be "more right" than you.  I know because I'm that way too!  "Takes one to know one."

Just watch, THIS IS WHAT MSFN HAS TURNED INTO.  Watch, your "hint" post of a REPORTING tool *WILL* get "likes" and my post informing users of that files REAL FUNCTION *will NOT*.  Sit back and watch.  That is MSFN these days.

2 hours ago, Klemper said:

What is Chrome_proxy.exe file that comes inside?

// This binary is a workaround for Windows 10 start menu pinning icon bug:
// https://crbug.com/732357.
//
// When a shortcut is pinned in the Windows 10 start menu Windows will follow
// the shortcut, find the target executable, look for a <target>.manifest file
// in the same directory and use the icon specified in there for the start menu
// pin. Because bookmark app shortcuts are shortcuts to Chrome (plus a few
// command line parameters) Windows ends up using the Chrome icon specified in
// chrome.VisualElementsManifest.xml instead of the site's icon stored inside
// the shortcut.
//
// The chrome_proxy.exe binary workaround "fixes" this by having bookmark app
// shortcuts target chrome_proxy.exe instead of chrome.exe such that Windows
// won't find a manifest and falls back to using the shortcut's icons as
// originally intended.

Source: https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src/+/HEAD/chrome/chrome_proxy/chrome_proxy_main_win.cc (file may change in the future)

Edit: Oops, @NotHereToPlayGames beat me to it. Still, quoting current comment doesn't hurt.

Edited by UCyborg

Not really sure.  I myself (even on Win10) do not use it and I ALSO DELETE IT!

My point here is that I'm not "hinting" to others to delete a file without also INFORMING them of the REAL FUNCTION of that file.

You're smart enough to see that difference.  But also TOO PROUD to admit that maybe somebody else may be "more right" than you.  I know because I'm that way too!  "Takes one to know one."

Just watch, THIS IS WHAT MSFN HAS TURNED INTO.  Watch, your "hint" post of a REPORTING tool *WILL* get "likes" and my post informing users of that files REAL FUNCTION *will NOT*.  Sit back and watch.  That is MSFN these days.

You're right, and I have no problems admitting I sometimes overpush, but then again, it's a standard practice to mask reporting tools under the guise of casual files, hence the oddly big size. So fair is fair, I accept your opinion, too.

I myself (even on Win10) do not use it and I ALSO DELETE IT!

You naughty boy!:buehehe: Confess you also delete the rest of the Hellload garbage files @D.Draker taught us to.

11 hours ago, UCyborg said:
// This binary is a workaround for Windows 10 start menu pinning icon bug:
// https://crbug.com/732357.
//
// When a shortcut is pinned in the Windows 10 start menu Windows will follow
// the shortcut, find the target executable, look for a <target>.manifest file
// in the same directory and use the icon specified in there for the start menu
// pin. Because bookmark app shortcuts are shortcuts to Chrome (plus a few
// command line parameters) Windows ends up using the Chrome icon specified in
// chrome.VisualElementsManifest.xml instead of the site's icon stored inside
// the shortcut.
//
// The chrome_proxy.exe binary workaround "fixes" this by having bookmark app
// shortcuts target chrome_proxy.exe instead of chrome.exe such that Windows
// won't find a manifest and falls back to using the shortcut's icons as
// originally intended.

Source: https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src/+/HEAD/chrome/chrome_proxy/chrome_proxy_main_win.cc (file may change in the future)

Edit: Oops, @NotHereToPlayGames beat me to it. Still, quoting current comment doesn't hurt.

Why such a misleading name, then? Pretending to be VPN/Proxy, when in fact it's not?

Also, kids these days, several megs to "fix an icon", I don't believe it, do what you want with me.

NOT TRUE.  I do not now, nor then, condone deleting files without knowing their true purpose.

I delete all those, no troubles so far. Started in the 1990s to spare my HDD space. I also delete video intros, outros, ads from games.