Supermium

4 hours ago, Jody Thornton said:

[...] Now I downloaded my copy from GitHub.  It installs to the AppData\Local Folder., whereas I unzipped the Chrome-Bin contents in to a \Program Files\Supermium folder. [...]

Just FYI: not sure off-hand if this works with the Supermium installer (I won't be trying this browser until/unless I can have it fully "ungoogled"/spyware-free), but if it's like the normal [ungoogled-]Chromium installer, running it with the --system-level command-line option will install the browser under Program Files.

2 hours ago, Dixel said:

Jody, can I trouble you to compare the brightness? Sorry for the delicate question, how's your eyesight? To me, Supermium is approx. 25 percent brighter than any other browser, let's say the ordinary Ungoogled, thus leading to the extreme eye fatigue.

No matter what flags I use.

Hey Dixel.  I have noticed no difference in brightness.  I am A/B testing between MyPal 68 and Supermium as I type this.  I do not notice at at all.

12 hours ago, Milkinis said:

I tried this myself on both Supermium 121 1st release and the hot-fix release.

I restared the computer just in case but the memory usage is still the same

Thank you for the test, the same for me.

4 hours ago, Jody Thornton said:

I have noticed no difference in brightness.  I am A/B testing between MyPal 68 and Supermium as I type this.  I do not notice at at all.

Could simply mean they both are bright.

12 hours ago, Dixel said:

@win32, I have a serious issue to report. I can't pass my full list of flags. The browser only accepts a much shorter, reduced variant. I can 100% confirm, it's not some exact flags it doesn't want, it's their overall length in cmd.

OS - Vista x64 6003 without Kernel. Browser also x64.

@win32

Supermium error "The data area passed to a system call is too small", this happens each time when I add my usual amount of flags. The message comes from Supermium's executable. Sometimes it simply won't start, unless I reduce the flags amount.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/explorerexe-error-the-data-area-passed-to-a-system/aed7b89e-0fc3-4f2b-b354-2c3898e93eeb

7 hours ago, Jody Thornton said:

Move over Roytam1 and NotHereToPlayGames (all in jest, I promise), but you have been supplanted.

My take - about time!  :whistle:

As most of you may already know, I no longer run XP.

Although I still do find myself PREFERRING v86-based Chromium Forks over the slow-a$$ "modern" 'stuff' - NO ONE BROWSER WILL EVER PLEASE EVERYONE.

16 minutes ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Although I still do find myself PREFERRING v86-based Chromium Forks

For me, it's basically come down to a true TITLE BAR and UNIFORMALITY.  I really really do HATE one program on my computer not "looking the same" as all my other programs.

My current Win10 at home runs 360Chrome 13.5.1030 90% of the time (the other 10% is technically just "comparison" to Official Ungoogled v114 [which is the only browser I use at work]).

I've not bothered to upload my "current" 13.5.1030 but the one I use now doesn't have any "shadow borders" on context menus, adheres more closely to my Win10 context menu colors relative to other programs, adds title bars to dialog boxes that didn't have them, etc.

image.png.f72933de195f05e70334d59fcb68cc86.png

image.png.222a3e71960a7e77624bfc0a1d26c07b.png

image.png.c18a54b6e0200e74bf62044c8c4ddcbb.png

image.png.16e57a0e5cc87f6e2184f0acc8842b3d.png

image.png.f92340bbd01d3df4ab6764f0f8a8c7e4.png

Edited by NotHereToPlayGames

3 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Although I still do find myself PREFERRING v86-based Chromium Forks over the slow-a$$ "modern" 'stuff' - NO ONE BROWSER WILL EVER PLEASE EVERYONE.

Perhaps you wanted to say ONE BROWSER WON'T EVER PLEASE EVERYONE? Anyways, I can't really imply Supermium is that slower, yes it feels slower, but not the point of being a total " slow-a$$".

3 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

For me, it's basically come down to a true TITLE BAR and UNIFORMALITY.  I really really do HATE one program on my computer not "looking the same" as all my other programs.

My current Win10 at home runs 360Chrome 13.5.1030 90% of the time (the other 10% is technically just "comparison" to Official Ungoogled v114 [which is the only browser I use at work]).

I've not bothered to upload my "current" 13.5.1030 but the one I use now doesn't have any "shadow borders" on context menus, adheres more closely to my Win10 context menu colors relative to other programs, adds title bars to dialog boxes that didn't have them, etc.

How any of this related to Supermium!??!??!? Folks, let's not inflate this important topic, thanks in advance.

19 minutes ago, D.Draker said:

How any of this related to Supermium!??!??!?

Because Supermium does not have a TITLE BAR.  While not big to you, that IS big to a LOT of folks (maybe that's an XP Thing [which Supermium targets], it does seem to be the XP Crowd but who knows?).

As I've pointed out, I HAVE HIGH HOPES FOR SUPERMIUM.  It's unfortunate that when we DO get an "ungoogled" (as I believe it is still in-the-works), we won't get a v115 "ungoogled" but rather a v130 or whatever "real" Chrome is at at-the-time.

But I'm sure that Ungoogled Supermium v130 will become my DEFAULT six or ten years from now when "real" Chrome is at v190 and OLDER BROWSERS (ie, THIS THREAD) simply fill the bill for me better.

Just like v86 is perfectly fine for me when everyone else is running 120+.

Edited by NotHereToPlayGames

7 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Because Supermium does not have a TITLE BAR.  While not big to you, that IS big to a LOT of folks (maybe that's an XP Thing [which Supermium targets], it does seem to be the XP Crowd but who knows?).

As I've pointed out, I HAVE HIGH HOPES FOR SUPERMIUM.  It's unfortunate that when we DO get an "ungoogled" (as I believe it is still in-the-works), we won't get a v115 "ungoogled" but rather a v130 or whatever "real" Chrome is at at-the-time.

But I'm sure that Ungoogled Supermium v130 will become my DEFAULT six or ten years from now when "real" Chrome is at v190 and OLDER BROWSERS (ie, THIS THREAD) simply fill the bill for me better.

Just like v86 is perfectly fine for me when everyone else is running 120+.

I'm not blind, no need for caps lock. This could've been phrased in one request/sentence, I'm not shutting you off, I'm just making it easier for the developer to read. No need to write millions of huge posts here, just my opinion.

No need to tell the developer of Supermium how good 360, PenPal, or whatever you use is/are.

<OT>

21 minutes ago, D.Draker said:

no need for caps lock

NOT MY PROBLEM.  I've been told that it is a form of Aspergers Communication Skills - which I make NO APOLOGY FOR.

23 minutes ago, D.Draker said:

just my opinion

All MSFN members are "opinionated", myself included.  My opinion never trumps yours.  Your opinion never trumps mine.

Or any other member that anyone here decides "today I'm going to publicly argue with so-and-so, because I'm bored and need something to do and it only walks right up to the line of violating Forum Rules without actually crossing that line."

<OT>

27 minutes ago, D.Draker said:

No need to tell the developer of Supermium how good 360, PenPal, or whatever you use is/are.

Agreed!

8 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

That's basically it for me too.  I really prefer the UI consistency between applications.  Chrome, when run on may xNix desktop environments, remedies this issue, but on Windows, Chrome/Supermium, and Microsoft Office Products are the biggest offenders in this area.

9 hours ago, D.Draker said:

Could simply mean they both are bright.

That certainly could be true, but I compared these browsers (Supermium and MyPal 68) just now with Explorer++, Softmaker Office and Serpent 52, and I'm not noticing a difference.

All I can say is that out of all the options on this rather ill-equipped Vista notebook, Supermium really does run well.  Very snappy considering I only have 2 GB or memory.