GPU temperature display in Task Manager disappears after hybrid shutdown/hibernating

UCyborg

I may turn off few things there and there, most stuff is left as-is though. Doesn't bother me, alright?

Encountering strange things with computer software is nothing new to me, whether it be normally reproducible bug when repro conditions are understood or something that happens because at some point something must have flipped and nobody can figure out what happened.

My XP x64 installation has one weird bug, unknown if it's normal XP bug or something specific, but I have the screen set to turn off in 10 min. And it just doesn't happen. It will turn off if I put it to 1 min. And it will turn off in 10 min if also a screensaver is set to turn on in 5 min. But just have it set to turn off in 10 min without screensaver before, nope, won't budge. I didn't try other combinations and I won't bother.

My XP x64 has an awesome bug.  It's actually one of the reasons that this computer remains on XP x64!

The computer has five widescreen monitors.  I do not use a screensaver but the monitors are set to turn off in 15 minutes.

Only four of the five will turn off!  It's an AWESOME bug because I can keep email and texts "always on" on the monitor that won't turn off.

GPU-Z is showing my GPU at 49 to 52 degrees.  No clue if that is "normal" range or not as I've never monitored GPU temp.

Dislike having to HOVER over GPU-Z systray icon to get the temp, would prefer the number displayed in the systray.

I used to monitor CPU temp but forget what I used but it was in the systray.

I am not finding GPU temp in Win10's Task Manager (but I am also using 2016 Win10 and not any of the yyHx variants).

It was added in Win10 20H1 and requires WDDM 2.4 or newer complaint graphics driver. They standardized the way to get the temperature and allow drivers to expose it through their (MS) interface while GPU-Z must use driver specific libraries/APIs.

I hate bugs, must distance myself from them mentally, but the BS I must endure to keep myself financially stable makes it impossible to avoid getting notified about crapload of them.

Edited by UCyborg

3 hours ago, Saxon said:

If Celsius, it's way too hot for idle.

Maybe his card has passive cooling. Another possibility. it's too old (pre-2008-2009) to downclock itself, when in idle, or the drivers are buggy.

3 hours ago, Dixel said:

My ancient first Titan from Feb. 2013, fossil, idles at 36 Celsius, in a usual case. Full load at 77 Celsius (very demanding games). Ambient room temp is about 18 - 20 Celsius.

Sounds about right! I have a third gen. Titan XP (2016), idles at 39, full load's at 79-81. Maybe because of the sunny side of the house.

On 9/5/2023 at 6:54 PM, NotHereToPlayGames said:

GPU-Z is showing my GPU at 49 to 52 degrees.  No clue if that is "normal" range or not as I've never monitored GPU temp.

Dislike having to HOVER over GPU-Z systray icon to get the temp, would prefer the number displayed in the systray.

To each their own. I find it distracting. Many people around the world consider GPU-Z to be the best. Its readings are accurate.

WinXP x64 desktop i7-4770 @ 3.4 GHz has the CPU running at 39 deg C and its Nvidia GeForce GT 635 running at 46 deg C

Win10 x64 laptop i5-6300U @ 2.4 GHz has the CPU running at 29 deg C and its Intel HD Graphics 520 running at 31 deg C

Win10 x64 laptop i7-6820HQ @ 2.7 GHz has the CPU running at 29 deg C and its Nvidia Quadro P3000 running at 30 deg C

Win10 x64 laptop i3-2310M @ 2.1 GHz has the CPU running at 48 deg C and its Intel HD Graphics 3000 running at 48 deg C
  --  GPU-Z's CPU and GPU both fluctuate IDENTICALLY, I suspect it's not being sensed correctly
  --  this laptop also does not use its internal display but rather feeds the HDMI input of a 42" television

WinXP x86 desktop Q6700 @ 2.66 GHz  --  GPU-Z isn't picking up CPU or GPU for its Intel G33 / G31 or for its Nvidia GeForce2 MX / MX 400

20 minutes ago, Cocodile said:

I find it distracting. Many people around the world consider GPU-Z to be the best.

I don't have a need to monitor CPU or GPU temps "full time, real time" but it's cool to check them out of curiosity every once in a while.

I used to monitor CPU temp "full time, real time" and dynamically changed FSB clock speed based on computer activity.
Idle temp for CPU was in the mid 20 deg C.  Normal activity was low to mid 30 deg C.
But web browser CPU and RAM usage is WAY higher than back when I monitored CPU.

I guess one of these days I'll start monitoring CPU again just to watch what it does during spreadsheeting versus web browsing, et cetera.
I only ever really monitored CPU back in the day because I was an "overclocker" but overclocked "dynamically", the computer ran UNDERclocked the majority of the time.

3 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Nvidia GeForce GT 635 running at 46 deg C

Two possibilities, either you live in Hell, or you need to replace the thermal solution, because even a higher binned GT640 runs idle at 37C and at about 75C under full load, and this matches the temps of the above posters. 

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/gt640-safe-temperatures.2014480/

I'm not particularly worried/concerned, to be honest.

While I am getting "use" out of that old Asus laptop, it's an "international" keyboard layout and I will actually "be happy" when it finally dies (I remap several keys because I keep accidentally hitting the wrong key with the "international" layout).

Aside from a ThinkPad out in the garage used for turbo engine tuning, it's by far my oldest laptop and it was a FREEBIE.

I prefer to use by freebies "oldest to newest".  Kind of intentionally let the OLDER ones die first.

There's one small problem with this logic though, I've never actually had a computer ever "die" - I just kind of have to "assume" that they eventually do!

I mean, my circa 1986 Commodore C64 still works - but I cannot claim to turn it on every day, lol.

14 hours ago, UCyborg said:

It was added in Win10 20H1 and requires WDDM 2.4 or newer complaint graphics driver.

I may upgrade this laptop from tweaked LTSB 2016 to tweaked xxHy to test this hybrid shutdown/hibernate issue.  I'll have to verify graphis driver WDDM 2.4 availability first.

I know that hibernate did not effect GPU-Z's temp sensors but I know that wasn't the original concern either.

9 hours ago, D.Draker said:

because even a higher binned GT640 runs idle at 37C and at about 75C under full load

That desktop runs five widescreen monitors, I'd expect it to run a little hotter.

But still not concerned.  I didn't check that tower desktop, but I did <search engine of choice as a verb> around for the Asus X54C and several users report idle temps MUCH higher than mine.

I also don't use any of my computers for any graphic-intensive games or whatnot so my "idle" and my "normal operating" are only a few degrees apart from each other.

16 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

That desktop runs five widescreen monitors, I'd expect it to run a little hotter.

A bit, maybe, not much though, if we are to assume you run very basic 59-60HZ screens. Those who have troubles with high temps on a multi setup, they usually run 120HZ monitors and up.