GPU temperature display in Task Manager disappears after hybrid shutdown/hibernating

UCyborg

Made a big jump and experimenting with Win11 23H2 with the latest December 2023 cumulative update and NVIDIA driver version 546.29, the temperature still disappears in Task Manager, but no noticeable degradation in how graphics works in general. Interestingly, I have resolution 1440x1080 available out-of-the-box now, it had to be added manually before, it's the largest 4:3 resolution you can have on 1920x1080 screen, though it's been years since I used it for anything.

I remember many years ago how newer drivers for GeForce4 MX 440 slowed games down to be practically unplayable, you already had to be extremely conservative with resolution, they looked pretty at 1280x1024, but had to use the blocky (on TFT-LCD) 640x480 for reasonable frame rates in any case.

No such extreme issues these days that I can tell, though it's a funny contrast, having 2023 GPU driver while all other drivers are from 2010 at most.

I read something about them running D3D9 games through D3D12, precisely D3D9on12. I don't remember specifics, not even sure I correctly understood that post, just seem to remember something along those lines was mentioned on VOGONS forum. Maybe it only applies to much newer NVIDIA GPUs, at least I don't notice any new DLL loaded related to D3D12 when running a D3D9 game.

4 hours ago, UCyborg said:

I read something about them running D3D9 games through D3D12, precisely D3D9on12.

The feature level of DirectX on 750 ti is only 11_0

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-gtx-750-ti.c2548

For D3D9on12 you'd obviously need a GPU with feature level of 12_0.

For example, this one, these days the most popular for gamers ona tight budget, I guess.

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-gtx-1060-6-gb.c2862

4 hours ago, UCyborg said:

NVIDIA driver version 546.29

No such extreme issues these days that I can tell, though it's a funny contrast, having 2023 GPU driver while all other drivers are from 2010 at most.

Yet they don't cease to write about "planned obsolescence" while that very old card is still supported and going to be supported further.

Aye, I suspected D3D9on12 requires higher feature level, although D3D12 in regular usage supports cards with only 11_0, but then you can't do as much with it as with more capable card, but it makes sense from game engine development standpoint to use D3D12 library to be able to utilize all available bells and whistles while leaving more limited experience for users with older cards (still better than nothing).

NVIDIA does support their cards for a good long while. Kepler cards also get limited support until September 2024 (security updates), along with Windows 7 users in general. I think they have it as reasonable as it can get, seriously supporting a piece of hardware or software is not exactly trivial.

BTW, found this: https://techunwrapped.com/dxvk-outperforms-d3d9on12-when-running-directx-9-on-an-intel-arc-a750/

What caught my attention more than DXVK vs D3D9on12 results, wow, Intel makes discrete graphics cards now?

Anyway, I didn't get around trying the older driver yet, just not a big enough issue to deter me from messing with other things, but I'm still curious about users on other cards where temperature can be normally shown in Task Manager, especially those that don't use NVIDIA.

Heh, maybe a better question for another forum, Vistapocalypse said it right when he said even Windows 7 is too new for many people on this forum. :D

Edit: Wrapper for enabling D3D9on12, feature level 11_0 is minimum: https://github.com/narzoul/ForceD3D9On12

Edited by UCyborg

3 hours ago, UCyborg said:

DXVK vs D3D9on12

DXVK has little practical usage, as of only two and a half games can run on Vulkan, just a reminder, Vulcan is in their development for almost a decade now.:D

Do you follow the latest trends? All devs went for DX12, period.

3 hours ago, UCyborg said:

Heh, maybe a better question for another forum, Vistapocalypse said it right when he said even Windows 7 is too new for many people on this forum. :D

I don't know who that is. What questions do you need to have answered? I tried DXVK on 7 with my 12_0 feature card, to be brief - it sucked big time.

I think the more worrying fact that here we have too few active members with somewhat recent hardware, oh wait a minute - Vistapocalypse, I now remembered,

he has no hardware at all, only if we count his iPhone (took it from his posts). All questions regarding Nvidia, better ask me.

13 minutes ago, D.Draker said:

What questions do you need to have answered?

I meant it would be interesting knowing if anyone else using Win10 version 2004 or newer using WDDM 2.0 compatible or newer driver sees the issue with GPU temperature disappearing from Task Manager after hibernating or sleeping, also those that are on AMD or even Intel.

57 minutes ago, UCyborg said:

if anyone else using Win10 version 2004 or newer using WDDM 2.0 compatible or newer driver sees the issue with GPU temperature disappearing from Task Manager after hibernating or sleeping

I can confirm that I cannot find GPU temp being displayed in Task Manager after hibernate (and I have too many open tasks that cannot be closed for a non-hibernate restart at the moment).

I'm not sure "where" exactly this is normally displayed in Task Manager.

Also unsure if having five monitors where display 1 is 2.0, display 2 is 2.1, display 3 is 2.1, display 4 is 1.3, and display 5 is 1.3 has any effect or not - do "all" drivers need to be 2.0 or newer?

image.thumb.png.d43d30652a715b5e12ff29e5e837150d.png

Edited by NotHereToPlayGames

My Task Manager does not have a GPU section.

As far as that goes, I have to use OLDER versions of System Informer else its GPU section never shows any activity.

I suppose it is possible that if I drop down to three monitors and unplug the two that are USB-based WDDM 1.3 then maybe things might react differently.

image.png.7466527838b4cb25b2b543aa1cbcf3ff.png

image.thumb.png.f40bb0b3bfc6fb0834dbbc980fbc0d97.png

Ugh, sorry, forgot WDDM version should be 2.4 at least not 2.0...but I got Windows version right...2004/20H1 or newer.

I don't think number of monitors matter, DxDiag just shows the underlying graphics card information for any monitor you select. Had to lookup Trigger II, appears to be a USB2VGA adapter, I suspect such devices don't have a temperature sensor either way. But plain discrete graphics cards on PCIe bus most likely do, so then just the software requirements should pass.