Telegram Discloses Names, Phone Numbers & IP Addresses Of Users, Don't Trust It - Proof!

Cocodile

Telegram Discloses Names, Phone Numbers, IP Addresses and other available personal data of its users.

As we know, the supposedly private messenger - Russian Telegram demands users to give up their phone numbers, and here's the result when millions foolishly trust such companies.

"in India, where there are more than 100 million Telegram users, the company in November provided the Delhi High Court with the names, phone numbers, and IP addresses of users "accused of illegally sharing a teachers’ copyrighted course" materials on the platform."

Sofi Ahsan

29 Nov 2022 6:30 AM GMT

https://www.livelaw.in/news-updates/after-court-order-telegram-discloses-phone-numbers-ip-addresses-of-users-accused-of-sharing-infringing-material-215311

When you give them your phone, even if it's not yours, they still know your location and record the voice, they will prove it's you, when needed.

For what it matters, still in India, the equivalent of the DMV site (government site where you can obtain or renew your driving license) has been found to be vulnerable to several  possible exploits, including Sysadmin credentials, potentially exposing 185 million people personal data:

https://blog.robinjust.in/gov-in/2023/02/Exposing-Indian-Citizens-Sensitive-PII-and-more/

Essentially if you give personal data to anyone, assume that there will be a leak before or later.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

All social media and large platforms do this. You either choose to accept that this happens or you don't use the service. There's no point in trying to form teams for or against any particular service or program.

• 5 months later...
On 7/6/2023 at 8:05 AM, Tripredacus said:

All social media and large platforms do this. You either choose to accept that this happens or you don't use the service. There's no point in trying to form teams for or against any particular service or program.

Which Is why I avoid social media and now I don't even have a cell phone because we only need our landline in the house and I'm sure "they" could prove its me, but I'm not all that worried about privacy as I post enough of my personal business/drama on here in threads anyway. I'm pretty much an open book and I wear my heart on my sleeve. Being an 'open book' has its drawbacks though and putting yourself out there can make one vulnerable and paranoid.

EDIT Fixed typos and grammar mistakes from yesterday.

Edited by XPerceniol

• 2 weeks later...

It seemed odd to me that Telegram requires an active phone number to sign up on the site, while boasting about anonymity. With most websites you don't need a phone number, and can just select a user name and password. I tried to use Telegram, but it required a modern smartphone to connect with it before it can be accessed from a PC.