Only Germany saves us, like it always does, when Elon Musk puts a reading paywall on Twitter.

Cocodile

3 hours ago, TSNH said:

I'm not implying that USA or Germany are anything like that and also no politics here, but still software patriotism doesn't really makes sense to me :unsure: (Aside from maybe supporting local developers as you would a sport team)

I too don't understand why he is so strangely and annoyingly promotes Kaspersky virus in each and every topic, even here! And looks like he is talking about politics without any consequences!

I created this topic to talk about Twitter's owner outrageous behaviour and how we find a better replacement for that ruined network.

12 hours ago, TSNH said:

Supposing you were living in country X which has a government that does some shady practices and you had to choose between using spyware programs from country X or country Y (that does similar stuff), from a privacy/security perspective it would be reasonable to use the one from country Y as you would care less about them having your data.

It doesn't work this way with most of the multinational companies, like Google or Microsoft, for example.

1 hour ago, Dixel said:

It doesn't work this way with most of the multinational companies, like Google or Microsoft, for example.

Of course Google and Microsoft are well established in EU as well, so data gathered from an individual who lives there using Google Chrome are more meaningful than those gathered by some Chinese Chromium fork.

On 7/3/2023 at 11:44 PM, Cocodile said:

I too don't understand why he is so strangely and annoyingly promotes Kaspersky virus in each and every topic, even here! And looks like he is talking about politics without any consequences!

I created this topic to talk about Twitter's owner outrageous behaviour and how we find a better replacement for that ruined network.

I totally agree with your statement. The headline of this topic is crystal clear. Promoting Kaspersky in each and every thread, which has nothing to do with security programmes, is definitely off-topic, propagandistic, annoying, and embarrassing. The desperation must already be pretty great when someone feels compelled to do something like this. smilie_denk_24.gif The motivation for such behaviour is of course clear, but we leave that to the reader's imagination. :P

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

19 hours ago, TSNH said:

Of course Google and Microsoft are well established in EU as well, so data gathered from an individual who lives there using Google Chrome are more meaningful than those gathered by some Chinese Chromium fork.

China has nothing of its own, it's still Google engine under the bonnet, so all the usual google servers where it sends data to are still there, but with the new chinese telemetry added upon.

3 hours ago, Tommy said:

I'm just here to post a friendly reminder in case anyone needs a bit of brushing up on what is and isn't acceptable around here: Forum Rules

:cool:

With all due respect, Tommy, I'd really appreciate, if you don't lump us all together in one blob, I was very polite to everyone, so as AstroSkipper. There's only one user, whose name starts with V., and you know whom I'm talking about. He's literally chasing us all over the website, nothing helps. He does what he wants.

I was going to ask a question, is he protected? I'll leave this question for the next time. Thnx.

2 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

Meta’s new app is called Threads and is expected to be released tomorrow. It is being described as a “Twitter killer,” which would suit me just fine.

Interestingly, in the US and in the UK, it won't be a thing in EU countries any soon, there are serious doubts about its compliance with GDPR and other EU privacy related Laws:

https://www.independent.ie/business/technology/no-instagram-threads-app-in-the-eu-irish-dpc-says-metas-new-twitter-rival-wont-be-launched-here/a1927220337.html

It is not at all clear if there will be "blocks" of some sort on the app for EU citizens (or EU countries) or something similar.

jaclaz

7 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

Meta’s new app is called Threads and is expected to be released tomorrow.

It's again off-topic and has no relation to the German Mastodon and/or Twitter, which is the topic here. I'm asking you once again, please stop off-topic, don't derail the thread. Thnx

On topic > I don't know if either of you heard these sad news, Twitter is now fully blocking Nitter! Twitter has become absolutely isolated, no way to read it for free!

6 hours ago, jaclaz said:

Interestingly, in the US and in the UK, it won't be a thing in EU countries any soon

No, more European companies will emerge on the market, good.