Finally Retiring From Windows

legacyfan

after years of using older versions of windows ive finally decided its the best time to move to linux with win11 still being terrible and browser support for older windows versions getting lower by the day ive decided to really get into linux as my main operating system from now on (but will stay on to help with questions and post)

Edited by legacyfan

• legacyfan changed the title to Finally Retiring From Windows (Its Been A Good Run)

2 minutes ago, Vistapocalypse said:

What was the problem with Windows 10? It’s nearly 8 years old now, isn’t that “legacy” enough to suit you? :blink:

I also have windows 10 still on a 2nd HDD for windows only application (but not as my main os)

Edited by legacyfan

• legacyfan changed the title to Finally Retiring From Windows

My daughter's Linux pc died recently.
She bought an all in one pc (very nice with wireless keyboard and mouse) with Windows 11.

I don't like Windows 11.
And probably Windows 10 will be the last Windows version I will use.
I don't love Linux either but after the release of Windows 11 it seems like the lesser evil.

So in 2025,Linux, will become my only OS (I don't even like dual boot).

Edited by Sampei.Nihira

On my old Windows XP computer, I installed a Linux distribution on a separate partition years ago. I decided to go with Xubuntu, a distribution for low-performance systems. With the installed boot manager Boot-US, I can select the desired operating system when I start the computer. For each OS, you can set in Boot-US which logical partitions are to be available. Linux as an additional alternative to Windows is simply great. My main operating system is still Windows XP and will remain so, though. d010.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper

(Update) something happened with the wifi driver disappering mysteriously  making it impossible to get it to reinstall or fix the issue along with linux somehow corrupting itself completely the entire linux install while in the process of fixing it. (I would definitely still reccomend linux but only for experts that know how to handle it)

Edited by legacyfan

3 hours ago, legacyfan said:

(Update) I hate to have to say this after what ive said but my linux journey I think is already over something happened that it got corrupt and the wifi driver would not reinstall so I had to just delete the whole linux from my computer and I plan to go back to windows for now until the issues that are still there are fixed (but thanks to everyone supported me during this change)

I'm sorry, you lost me, so do you still recommend it to others or not ? 

https://msfn.org/board/topic/184466-win7-die-hard-is-considering-linux/?do=findComment&comment=1239568

with as much issues as I had probably no (my entire linux version got corrupted from my doing nothing that could of corrupted it) and the magically disappearing wifi driver issue

Edited by legacyfan

3 hours ago, legacyfan said:

with as much issues as I had probably no (my entire linux version got corrupted from my doing nothing that could of corrupted it) and the magically disappearing wifi driver issue

I see, well maybe need to edit that post then ? Not to confuse the others.

• legacyfan changed the title to Finally Retiring From Windows (update)
1 minute ago, Sampei.Nihira said:

Linux is boring (for me) to use compared to Windows.
And it encounters more problems to solve than Windows operating systems.

But at the age I will be in 2025 I will probably get used to it.

eventually I might try again but for now I'll just stick with what I know (and what I'm known for)

2 hours ago, Sampei.Nihira said:

Yes you should try again without dual boot.

I never used dual boot, i.e. two OSs installed in the same partition. I always use an independent booting of each OS. Each of my system partitions are independent from the others. Boot-US can be installed into MBR of your hard disk, floppy disk or bootable USB stick. If you boot into a OS, all other system partitions will be hidden. All my system partitions have been backuped by an imaging program. If something goes wrong in one of my system partitions and can't be fixed easily, I simply restore the saved image. :thumbup

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content