Finally Retiring From Windows

legacyfan

54 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

I never used dual boot, i.e. two OSs installed in the same partition. I always use an independent booting of each OS. Each of my system partitions are independent from the others. Boot-US can be installed into MBR of your hard disk, floppy disk or bootable USB stick. If you boot into a OS, all other system partitions will be hidden. All my system partitions have been backuped by an imaging program. If something goes wrong in one of my system partitions and can't be fixed easily, I simply restore the saved image. :thumbup

FYI, real, independent booting of OSs is only possible if the OSs have been installed independently and completely. How this can be done and checked is described in this article "Check independence and completeness" here: https://www.boot-us.de/eng/tips_i02.htm

Cheers, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper

On 2/27/2023 at 7:36 PM, legacyfan said:

after years of using older versions of windows ive finally decided its the best time to move to linux with win11 still being terrible and browser support for older windows versions getting lower by the day ive decided to really get into linux as my main operating system from now on (but will stay on to help with questions and post)

3 hours ago, Sampei.Nihira said:

But at the age I will be in 2025 I will probably get used to it.

Linux is great and can be very helpful, especially if problems occur which can't be solved in Windows. And Linux is especially valuable if you are an Android user like me. Android is based on the Linux kernel, so Linux is predestined to communicate with Android devices. No driver problems in Linux when an Android device is connected to the computer, as is unfortunately very often the case in Windows. :yes: Of course, you should choose the Linux distribution that is best suited for you. There are so many, and it is not so easy to find the right one. It should therefore meet your needs and fit your hardware. :)

Greetings from Germany, AstroSkipper smilie_schild_035.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

2 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

Linux is great and can be very helpful, especially if problems occur which can't be solved in Windows. And Linux is especially valuable if you are an Android user like me. Android is based on the Linux kernel, so Linux is predestined to communicate with Android devices. No driver problems in Linux when an Android device is connected to the computer, as is unfortunately very often the case in Windows. :yes: Of course, you should choose the Linux distribution that is best suited for you. There are so many, and it is not so easy to find the right one. It should therefore meet your needs and fit your hardware. :)

Greetings from Germany, AstroSkipper smilie_schild_035.gif

It is not often that simple.
For example in my daughter's pc I had chosen Xubuntu LTS not only because only that distro could be fast with 10+ years old hardware but it was the only lightweight distro (that at the time of installation) that could recognize her printer.

However from my point of view the only satisfaction I have with all Linux distros is to make a setting that increases the privacy/security of the browser.

Subsequent pc management is repetitive and tedious starting with OS + softwares updates.

2 hours ago, Sampei.Nihira said:

It is not often that simple.
For example in my daughter's pc I had chosen Xubuntu LTS not only because only that distro could be fast with 10+ years old hardware but it was the only lightweight distro (that at the time of installation) that could recognize her printer.

However from my point of view the only satisfaction I have with all Linux distros is to make a setting that increases the privacy/security of the browser.

Subsequent pc management is repetitive and tedious starting with OS + softwares updates.

As I already mentioned, I chose Xubuntu LTS, too. It is leightweight, compatible with old hardware, and a lot of program packages are available. Managing, fixing, flashing Android devices and repairing devices is my main use of Linux. And, I was always successful, at least until now. metiers1.gif ssuper5sur5.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

ive decided to try again with linux but this time by itself with out being with a 2nd os and see if that works any better this time (and with debian this time)

Edited by legacyfan

It's not easy to make the switch when you're accustomed to Windows way of doing things and specific software. I've been keeping Linux around for years, just not as the main desktop OS.

I don't know about the future (if there is such a thing), Win10 currently suits me the best, pre-Win7 versions don't suit me at all, I have grudges about every Windows version I used though and Win11 is way too alien.

3 minutes ago, UCyborg said:

It's not easy to make the switch when you're accustomed to Windows way of doing things and specific software. I've been keeping Linux around for years, just not as the main desktop OS.

I don't know about the future (if there is such a thing), Win10 currently suits me the best, pre-Win7 versions don't suit me at all, I have grudges about every Windows version I used though and Win11 is way too alien.

but I plan to stick to it this time and actually try and do it (without giving up and going back to windows)

Edited by legacyfan

Careful with Debian. It's thought by some that it's more suited to those that are sure they need Debian specifically. Debian is outdated by design, which is not necessarily a good thing.

I'm experimenting with it on my laptop since it's sill quite familiar choice if one has been acquainted with another Debian derived distro and is looking for 32-bit one...and at the same time wonder if the reason for Firefox crashing when trying to make it use hardware accelerated video decoding capabilities on the GPU is due to GPU drivers / Mesa from 2020.

• legacyfan changed the title to Finally Retiring From Windows