Who here has a Youtube-DL compile for WinXP?

j7n

Hi folks!

I recently compiled yt-dlp version 2023.02.17 using the version of Python 3.8.13 backported for Windows XP by cmalex available here on a Windows 8.1 PC so that I could use the latest bug free Pyinstaller.  It seems to be a roaring success with impressively fast downloads.  I have made it available as a direct download from my 4Shared account here.  Please try it and provide feedback here.

We are lucky in that yt-dlp and it's Python dependencies do not include C extensions incompatible with XP.  I hope I have the same luck when I attempt to make an XP build of Streamlink.

7 hours ago, Zorba the Geek said:

I recently compiled yt-dlp version 2023.02.17

Good to hear that more people are able to make it work on older OS's, so that it won't be discontinued when I'm gone.

That said, why version 2023.02.17?

That was before a fix for a new throttling issue (see here).

Also, you could make it start faster, when enabling "Lazy loading extractors" before compile from master:

python devscripts/update-version.py
python devscripts/make_lazy_extractors.py
python pyinst.py

13 hours ago, nicolaasjan said:

it won't be discontinued when I'm gone.

... Where do you plan to go, BTW? :P

From my standpoint, this "project" will be discontinued once pukkandan abandons support for Python 3.8 altogether, which might very well be before its official EoS in 2024 :(... IIRC, 3.7 is supported for a minority of users (on Vista and some Unixes where it can't be updated further) and 3.8 is still supported for the sake of Win7 users... Win7 support by most app authors/vendors will be waning as 2023 progresses (spearheaded by Google's :realmad: decisions, no less), so the "inevitable" will happen...

Anyone planning on backporting Python 3.9 to Vista SP2/XP SP3, please? :whistle:

Youtube-dl still supports as low as python 2.6 and there is no sign this is going to change so there is not too much to worry about for xp users IMO. You can always fall back on it whatever happens with the dlp fork. I compile my own youtube-dl.exe from git master with python 2.7 when needed as with the recent breakages for use on my ME system.

6 hours ago, loblo said:

so there is not too much to worry about for XP users IMO.
You can always fall back on it, whatever happens with the dlp fork.

... Very true :P, however "yt-dlp" is a much richer, feature-wise, fork, supporting now many more extractors (sites) than the original project, youtube-dl, not to mention the fact they have currently a team of numerous active and very skilled devs, ready to "jump in" and attempt to fix all the "counter measures" :angry: various media sites impose on downloaders :realmad: ; to put it briefly, I'd dare say :whistle:youtube-dl is currently in "maintenance mode", with only one active maintainer, who, when not closing multiple duplicates, spends his coding time backporting fixes from "downstream"; better than nothing, still :rolleyes:...
So, maintaining "yt-dlp" support (in XP/Vista - when it comes to that :() as long as possible is a desired thing ;) ...

On 3/10/2023 at 10:38 PM, Zorba the Geek said:

We are lucky in that yt-dlp and it's Python dependencies do not include C extensions incompatible with XP.

Well, there is brotli, which is not included in your release (I guess it's compatible).

See requirements.txt.

Yours:

[debug] Command-line config: ['-v']
[debug] User config "C:\Documents and Settings\nico\Application Data\yt-dlp\config.txt": ['--rm-cache-dir', '--console-title', '-o', 'C:\\Documents and Settings\\nico\\Desktop\\%(title)s.%(ext)s', '-f', 'bestvideo[height<=1080][ext=mp4][vcodec!*=av01]+bestaudio[ext=m4a]/best[ext=mp4]/best', '--no-mtime', '--add-metadata', '--convert-thumbnails', 'jpg', '--embed-thumbnail', '--ppa', 'ThumbnailsConvertor:-qmin 1 -q:v 1', '--ppa', 'ffmpeg:-metadata synopsis=""', '--force-ipv4', '--sponsorblock-remove', 'all', '--console-title']
[debug] Encodings: locale cp1252, fs utf-8, pref cp1252, out cp1252 (No VT), error cp1252 (No VT), screen cp1252 (No VT)
[debug] yt-dlp version 2023.02.17 [a0a7c0154] (win_x86_exe)
[debug] Lazy loading extractors is disabled
[debug] Python 3.8.13+ (CPython x86 32bit) - Windows-XP-5.1.2600-SP3 (OpenSSL 3.1.0-dev )
[debug] exe versions: ffmpeg N-109535-gfcd557a-Reino (fdk,setts), ffprobe N-109535-gfcd557a-Reino
[debug] Optional libraries: Cryptodome-3.17, certifi-2022.12.07, mutagen-1.46.0, sqlite3-2.6.0, websockets-10.4
[debug] Proxy map: {}
[debug] Loaded 1782 extractors
Removing cache dir C:\Documents and Settings\nico/.cache\yt-dlp ..

Mine:

[debug] Command-line config: ['-v']
[debug] User config "C:\Documents and Settings\nico\Application Data\yt-dlp\config.txt": ['--rm-cache-dir', '--console-title', '-o', 'C:\\Documents and Settings\\nico\\Desktop\\%(title)s.%(ext)s', '-f', 'bestvideo[height<=1080][ext=mp4][vcodec!*=av01]+bestaudio[ext=m4a]/best[ext=mp4]/best', '--no-mtime', '--add-metadata', '--convert-thumbnails', 'jpg', '--embed-thumbnail', '--ppa', 'ThumbnailsConvertor:-qmin 1 -q:v 1', '--ppa', 'ffmpeg:-metadata synopsis=""', '--force-ipv4', '--sponsorblock-remove', 'all', '--console-title']
[debug] Encodings: locale cp1252, fs utf-8, pref cp1252, out cp1252 (No VT), error cp1252 (No VT), screen cp1252 (No VT)
[debug] yt-dlp version nightly@2023.03.13.1 [607510b9f] (win_x86_exe)
[debug] Python 3.8.13+ (CPython x86 32bit) - Windows-XP-5.1.2600-SP3 (OpenSSL 3.1.0-dev )
[debug] exe versions: ffmpeg N-109535-gfcd557a-Reino (fdk,setts), ffprobe N-109535-gfcd557a-Reino
[debug] Optional libraries: Cryptodome-3.17, brotli-1.0.9, certifi-2022.12.07, mutagen-1.46.0, sqlite3-2.6.0, websockets-10.4
[debug] Proxy map: {}
[debug] Loaded 1788 extractors
Removing cache dir C:\Documents and Settings\nico/.cache\yt-dlp ..

Edited by nicolaasjan

On 3/10/2023 at 1:38 PM, Zorba the Geek said:

We are lucky in that yt-dlp and it's Python dependencies do not include C extensions incompatible with XP.  I hope I have the same luck when I attempt to make an XP build of Streamlink.

Wow, I wish you luck.  That would be fantastic.  Will you kindly post an announcement in this thread if/when that happens?  I'm sure the project would have its own thread, but for those of us only monitoring this particular thread, a heads-up would be most wonderful.

Greetings.

On 3/11/2023 at 9:27 PM, VistaLover said:

Anyone planning on backporting Python 3.9 to Vista SP2/XP SP3, please?

Python 3.9.0 at real WinXP 368/14/43  tests currently passed/failed/skipped ('python -m test')

On 3/10/2023 at 11:38 PM, Zorba the Geek said:

I hope I have the same luck when I attempt to make an XP build of Streamlink.

I know that at least Streamlink 5.3.1 work fine.

On 3/10/2023 at 11:38 PM, Zorba the Geek said:

C extensions incompatible with XP. 

Most of "C extensions" currently incompatible with my preferred "AthlonXP 2000+" due to lack of SSE2 support :-(. That's why I'm forced to collect them by myself...

Best regards.

Edited by cmalex

• 1 month later...

With one little difference though compared to my previous release. Thanks for mentioning.

Btw, your youtube-dl url in your sig is first of all dead, but also links to a yt-dlp archive.

On 3/12/2023 at 9:58 AM, loblo said:

Youtube-dl still supports as low as python 2.6 and there is no sign this is going to change so there is not too much to worry about for xp users IMO. You can always fall back on it whatever happens with the dlp fork.

If I may be so bold (and a bit off-topic)... One day will come when yt-dlp loses compatible with WinXP, while at the same time youtube-dl won't be updated anymore. For WinXP users with old hardware an alternative could then be my own simple Youtube-extractor, which is part of an XQuery function module for the command-line tool Xidel (an XML/HTML/JSON parser).

It's a simple extractor, in the sense that it doesn't support age-gated-videos. You'd still need youtube-dl for that. But for "normal" videos it works absolutely fine and because it doesn't depend on Python it's multitudes faster (on my old system). The extractor uses the Android API call, which means there's no bandwidth-throttling or a need to decrypt a signature.

On 2/28/2023 at 3:54 PM, nicolaasjan said:
yt-dlp -f 22 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppojLHm-Z1I

The most basic call for this Youtube video would be...

xidel.exe -s --module=xivid.xqm -e "xivid:youtube('https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppojLHm-Z1I')"
xidel.exe -s --module=xivid.xqm -e "xivid:youtube('ppojLHm-Z1I')"

...which returns a JSON with all the different audio- and video formats.

My old computer is too slow to watch Youtube videos in-browser, so personally I use the following command A LOT to directly watch a Youtube video (the itag 22 variant in this case) with Media Player Classic - Home Cinema (utilizing the gpu instead of the cpu):

FOR /F "delims=" %A IN ('
  xidel -s --module=xivid.xqm -e "xivid:youtube('ppojLHm-Z1I')/(formats)()[starts-with(id,'pg')][last()]/url"
') DO @"C:\Program Files\Media\MPC-HC.1.7.11.24.x86\mpc-hc.exe" %A /close

10 hours ago, Reino said:

Btw, your youtube-dl url in your sig is first of all dead, but also links to a yt-dlp archive.

Indeed, the provided link:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/77c6ftwujel4v7l/yt-dlp_x86_Windows-XP.zip

isn't valid :dubbio::( ; obviously, something must've gone awry there... Try below links, which I have archived locally (and it turns out it was a good idea to do so ;) ):

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/f2q5v92qgq0fawp/youtube-dl.zip

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/xmrpypozf7wf9us/youtube-dl_20230430.zip

The second link will fetch a yt-dl build with (experimental) "Lazy Extractors" support turned ON, specifically for older H/W; you should definitely try it :) (both links were provided initially by nicolaas, the second one via his GitHub account) !

Edited by VistaLover

16 hours ago, Reino said:

One day will come when yt-dlp loses compatible with WinXP

For my current build, made with Python 3.8, that will be 14 Oct 2024 (if Pukkandan decides to pull the plug on that same date).

Fortunately @cmalex has provided a Python 3.9 build for XP (see this post). Supported till 05 Oct 2025.

https://endoflife.date/python

Hopefully later builds will be provided in the future. :cool:

In the near future I will provide yt-dlp builds made with Py3.9 (here is a test build).

Edited by nicolaasjan

17 hours ago, Reino said:

while at the same time youtube-dl won't be updated anymore.

What makes you think that? There are still occasional commits and building from source still works.

As far as I now, there are no signs of that yet. Though some issues have to be addressed in regard to GitHub building of new releases.

Edited by nicolaasjan

19 hours ago, VistaLover said:

The second link will fetch a yt-dl build with (experimental) "Lazy Extractors" support turned ON

What are "lazy extractors"?

(here is a test build).

Thanks, but yt-dlp doesn't work on my non-SSE2 cpu.

What makes you think that? There are still occasional commits and building from source still works.

Occasional commits indeed, mostly by 1 person. Youtube-dl's main developers abandoned the project (2 years ago?). The question is how long dirkf will keep this up.