ArcticFoxie/NotHereToPlayGames -- 360Chrome v13.5.2022 rebuild 3

Providing a "bat file" isn't really the solution.

Every end-user is best served by reading the discussion and performing their own rebase.

No "one" 'fix' is going to work on all computers.

At least, I don't think so "yet".  So far, rebasing to 0x10010000 has worked on everything I've tested it on (six different computers, all XP, some x86, some x64).

But then again, I had 0x3e1c0000 working on all six of those computers also but users on the forum cited "freezes" with 0x3e1c0000.

Would be interesting to hear from those where 0x3e1c000 caused "freezes" - does 0x10010000 also cause freezes?

Because ultimately it would be nice to have an address to rebase "distributions" to without freezes.

24 minutes ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

But then again, I had 0x3e1c0000 working on all six of those computers also but users on the forum cited "freezes" with 0x3e1c0000.

Would be interesting to hear from those where 0x3e1c000 caused "freezes" - does 0x10010000 also cause freezes?

Because ultimately it would be nice to have an address to rebase "distributions" to without freezes.

Just to clarify it! These freezes I had did not come regularly, and completely unexpectedly. I will continue to monitor this at the address 0x62a00000 chosen by libase for chrome.dll. When time is available, I will try your address 0x10010000 by using Rebase.

Edited by AstroSkipper

29 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

chosen by libase

Technically, that address isn't "chosen".  Libase "generated" that address because the end-user opted to use StartBase=0x60000000 in the .ini file.

The "generation" is an algebraic equation ran on the file name (chrome.dll).

Change the name to xchrome.dll and you'll get a different "generated" start address.

Change the name to chromium.dll and you'll get another different "generated" start address.

The StartBase=0x60000000 is plucked out of thin air, a typical start address for file names beginning with the letters a, b, and c.

But outside of the "spelling" of chrome.dll, there is no real "reason" to use StartBase=0x60000000.

Edited by NotHereToPlayGames

32 minutes ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Technically, that address isn't "chosen".  Libase "generated" that address because the end-user opted to use StartBase=0x60000000 in the .ini file.

That is rather splitting hairs. vil-meche.gif 
You start the tool with the default ini file and it generates the address 0x62a00000 for chrome.dll which is logged by libase in its ini file. Seen in this way, the tool has "chosen" it itself. No interaction by the user. But, your further investigation is not uninteresting. I did not examine the calculation of libase's generated base address more deeply. I would do that only if something went wrong.

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

5 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

Use libase!

Rebasing is such a simple process and fully documented in the 360 Chrome threads several times. Furthermore, @Humming Owl provides an archive with a batch file to do that automatically. So, it can be performed by any user. Under these circumstances, I am not a fan of such spoon feeding, which would actually mean that the user is too lazy to read and do it himself. 
bebe23.gifaccord6.gif

Well .. not so much "spoon feeding" but please keep in mind, there are people (such as myself) that are still very much learning even though been a member on here since 2018. This while Rebasing is totally new to me and I'd never even heard of it until @UCyborg brought it to my attention - so that being such - I've stuck largely at what is offered from the developers here as is downloaded and just report any feedback. I don't understand this Rebasing is something I just don't get at all because I've never changed much on my systems and while I desire to understand some things are beyond my comprehension.

24 minutes ago, XPerceniol said:

Well .. not so much "spoon feeding" but please keep in mind, there are people (such as myself) that are still very much learning even though been a member on here since 2018. This while Rebasing is totally new to me and I'd never even heard of it until @UCyborg brought it to my attention - so that being such - I've stuck largely at what is offered from the developers here as is downloaded and just report any feedback. I don't understand this Rebasing is something I just don't get at all because I've never changed much on my systems and while I desire to understand some things are beyond my comprehension.

I think typing in a CMD window the command libase chrome.dll is something everyone can do. No need to upload anything! All is described here. Easy and comprehensible. The phrase "spoon feeding" I learnt from @VistaLover, and he isn't a fan of it, either. nimportequoi.gif

It's not about being something everyone can do.

I feel very confident in claiming that if it were discovered that any of roytam1's offerings has the same RAM-consumption improvement just by running a CMD command on "one" of said roytam1's offerings' files, then it would be expected by the roytam1 end-user that roytam1 perform that CMD command before uploading his next offering.

Very confident.

But then again...

I used to get the feeling that a TON of people "use" roytam1's WEEKLY offerings - and that they even sit on the edge of their seat each and every week in anticipation of the next WEEKLY offering.

I say "used to" because nowadays, I honestly see roytam1's offerings as very very VERY similar to the 360Chrome offerings here at MSFN - ie, a very very VERY "niche market" and a very very VERY "dying breed".

22 minutes ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

It's not about being something everyone can do.

Unfortunately, your statement does not make any sense at all. And your comparison is just as absurd. You already provided a rebased version. If a user wants to have the default address used by libase, he can do that easily by himself. No spoon feeding necessary! That's it! Nothing more or less. smilie_denk_24.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper

3 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

And your comparison is just as absurd.

Not really.  What do you honestly think would be "expected" of roytam1 if it was discovered that Basilisk/Serpent used "half" as much RAM if one of the .dll's were rebased?

I myself think that the roytam1 user-base would NOT be expected to perform the rebase, but rather that roytam1 would be expected to do the spoon-feeding and provide the next weekly release with that rebase included.

1 minute ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Not really.  What do you honestly think would be "expected" of roytam1 if it was discovered that Basilisk/Serpent used "half" as much RAM if one of the .dll's were rebased?

The comparison is lame because you already offered a rebased version, but @roytam1 didn't in your more theoretical construct.