My Browser Builds (Part 4)

Thanks to extensive coding work carried out by upstream developer FranklinDM, "Web Components Slots" are now supported in UXP natively :thumbup ; last Saturday's UXP-builds by Roy come with that support backported :cheerleader:; as such, now the "modern GUI" version of VirusTotal can be successfully rendered and used in NM28/St52 without disabling the native WC implementation and without excessive CPU consumption (YMMV, here it was OK ;) ) :

https://www.virustotal.com/gui/home/upload

PM8YQQf.png

3 minutes ago, VistaLover said:

Thanks to extensive coding work carried out by upstream developer FranklinDM, "Web Components Slots" are now supported in UXP natively :thumbup ; last Saturday's UXP-builds by Roy come with that support backported :cheerleader:; as such, now the "modern GUI" version of VirusTotal can be successfully rendered and used in NM28/St52 without disabling the native WC implementation and without excessive CPU consumption (YMMV, here it was OK ;) ) :

Awesome! Thanks for the news!

Edited by mina7601

4 minutes ago, VistaLover said:

PM8YQQf.png

Great news! Thanks for the information! To see VirusTotal working again is fantastic. :cheerleader:

I have just tested VirusTotal in my New Moon 28 (2023-03-24) with dom.webcomponents.enabled set to true. But It only works properly if Palefill is disabled. If not, the homepage renders correctly but a file can't be uploaded. I thought Web Components and Palefill would not harm each other, but reality speaks a different language. Or was it just a coincidence? :dubbio: I'll have to check that the next days.

New-Moon-28-Virus-Total.png

If you're looking for problems, just turn on your computer! :P

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

20 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

I have just tested VirusTotal in my New Moon 28 (2023-03-24) with dom.webcomponents.enabled set to true.

... Did you remember to also toggle "dom.getRootNode.enabled" to "true"? These prefs are actually a "wedded couple", so to speak :P - if one is set to true, the other has to be set to true, too - and vice versa ;) ...

20 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

But It only works properly if Palefill is disabled. If not, the homepage renders correctly but a file can't be uploaded. 
I thought Web Components and Palefill would not harm each other

... FWIW, both I and @UCyborg mentioned, here in this thread, it's not the case ;) ; my own advice came after the recommendation issued by upstream not to simultaneously enable both (i.e. palefill+nativeWC): 

On 3/16/2023 at 1:01 AM, VistaLover said:

... For starters, you shouldn't do that (when testing), as palefill conflicts/interferes with native WC:

https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?p=237202#p237202

From Moonchild himself:

SDX8rd0.png

UCyborg (a "hobbyist" coder, BTW by profession ;)) later posted additional input

On 3/19/2023 at 2:58 AM, VistaLover said:

Additional thanks for your words of wisdom :thumbup below, on why running official (martok's) palefill (enabled) alongside the native WC implementation should not be encouraged:

On 3/17/2023 at 9:12 PM, UCyborg said:

Palefill as provided on martok's GitHub page will indeed still impact GitHub in a significant way even when Web Components are provided by the browser because some checks aren't there so some stuff still gets injected unconditionally, but even when certain injected code has checks to not do anything if not necessary, I suppose its code must still be parsed by the browser.

... He specifically cites GitHub above, but palefill does also include code pertaining to VirusTotal, e.g.:

https://github.com/martok/palefill/commit/657b2b1

https://github.com/martok/palefill/commit/6001e31

Kind regards :)

Edited by VistaLover

9 hours ago, VistaLover said:

Well, here upload on VirusTotal didn't work (NM28 - 2023-03-24).

Palefill disabled.

dom.getRootNode.enabled ---> true (=default)

dom.webcomponents.enabled ---> true (=default)

Got an endless recaptcha loop...

11 hours ago, VistaLover said:
12 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

I have just tested VirusTotal in my New Moon 28 (2023-03-24) with dom.webcomponents.enabled set to true.

... Did you remember to also toggle "dom.getRootNode.enabled" to "true"? These prefs are actually a "wedded couple", so to speak :P - if one is set to true, the other has to be set to true, too - and vice versa ;) ...

That's why I provided a screenshot in my post above. Didn't you see my preference settings in the extra window? The image actually speaks for itself. Additionally, I had inserted red arrows. Since we have discussed here the settings of dom.webcomponents.enabled and dom.getRootNode.enabled, I do control them that way. If both are set to false, the lamp goes on.  If both are set to true, the lamp goes off. The lamp is in the toolbar to the right of my red CSP button. Don't let the many buttons confuse you! My browser configuration is very special and also a little more complex than usual. :crazy: Here is my screenshot once again: 

New-Moon-28-Virus-Total.png

I've already tested it again. Now both, Web Components and Palefill enabled, are working on VirusTotal. Very strange! :dubbio: Anyway! Thanks for summing up all essential facts! You know I read this thread as attentively as possible. :) And your posts in particular! And @roytam1's and @UCyborg's ones, too, of course! :P

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

3 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

That's why I provided a screenshot in my post above. Didn't you see my preference settings in the extra windowThe image actually speaks for itself.

... Well, I commented very shortly after your own post went "live" ;), then put the laptop to "Sleep" and went myself to bed :zzz: ; when I first read your post and composed my own comment/reply to it, your post hadn't been edited yet, no screenshot had been attached at that time :P ...

44 minutes ago, VistaLover said:

... Well, I commented very shortly after your own post went "live" ;), then put the laptop to "Sleep" and went myself to bed :zzz: ; when I first read your post and composed my own comment/reply to it, your post hadn't been edited yet, no screenshot had been attached at that time :P ...

No problem! But my post already contained the sceenshot as it is when it went live the first time as far as I can remember correctly at least. Or am I a bit dement due to my age? :buehehe: Or maybe, you just overlooked it. Anyway! It's not the world either as we say here in Germany. :P

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

1 hour ago, AstroSkipper said:

But my post already contained the sceenshot as it is when it went live the first time as far as I can remember correctly at least. Or am I a bit dement due to my age? :buehehe: Or maybe, you just overlooked it.

No worries here, too ;) ; but I can assure you it did not contain that screenshot "when it went live the first time"; as I've posted in the past in this thread, I'm subscribed to this thread and have the MSFN forum software configured in such a way so as to send me e-mail notifications whenever new posts are being published in this thread - the software sends an initial e-mail ONLY when a post goes first "live", later edits by a post's author do not trigger further e-mail notifications :(; thus, I have to visit the thread through my browser to become aware of additional in-same-post content...

FTR, below is a screenshot of your post the very first time it went live, as it appeared inside my e-mail client:

BAXAtwa.jpg

That e-mail was received at 202303280017GMT; and I'm extremely lucky, dare I say :P, that Bing's cache has saved your initial post just two minutes after it went live,

https://cc.bingj.com/cache.aspx?q=https%3a%2f%2fmsfn.org%2fboard%2ftopic%2f184051-my-browser-builds-part-4%2fpage%2f74&d=3263078889977&mkt=en-WW&setlang=en-US&w=ur8pG3tLReOOvMj2Ov9a9kvf_SOCrEvI

and it indeed first appeared without an image attachment:

BzS31Gc.png

"Case closed" for me :whistle: ... As ever, best wishes! :)

54 minutes ago, VistaLover said:

"Case closed" for me :whistle: ... As ever, best wishes! :)

Very good proof! As a mathematician, I appreciate such proofs. d010.gif Obviously, you're absolutely right, and I am wrong. And maybe, I am a bit dement, hopefully a bit! I am not the freshest one, though. interroge.gif  c051.gif  

Edited by AstroSkipper

2 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

Obviously, you're absolutely right, and I am wrong.

... Dear Astroskipper :), my true goal was not to prove you were wrong, especially on such a trivial matter, what good would that do in the broader scheme of things?

It was more a proof to myself actually :P, because (I thought) I had a very vivid recollection of your post in question... As I wrote recently, "I may be wrong as much as anybody else", and I have been wrong in the past, and, no doubt, I'll be wrong again in the future - it's human nature, of course, to be wrong sometimes ("errare humanum est"), more so as age progresses :(, and it's something I deal with constantly in real life; errors/misjudgments committed either by me or my immediate circle (of relatives/friends, etc.); as long as someone else, preferably impartial, exists to point us towards the "right", we should learn from our mistakes, philosophise a bit and move on :P ... But I'm going off-topic... 

Cheers :)

2 hours ago, VistaLover said:

But I'm going off-topic... 

Even if that's the case, it's still a true life fact. Otherwise, I agree with the other points you made.

Edited by mina7601

18 hours ago, VistaLover said:

UCyborg (a coder by profession ;))

Not by profession actually, it was just a casual hobby so far. Schools I attended did give a very superficial overlook of coding in C#, but things I did for me required other languages.

Edited by UCyborg