Extensions and custom buttons for UXP browsers - Corrections, modifications, adjustments, and special recommendations

4 hours ago, nicolaasjan said:

Thanks!

But I had to disable 2 lists and add them to Custom with updated URLs to match them with the ones currently used by upstream uBO.

• NLD: EasyList Dutch ---> EasyDutch
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/EasyDutch-uBO/EasyDutch/main/EasyDutch.txt
  • Online Malicious URL Blocklist ---> Online Malicious URL Blocklist (AdGuard)
https://malware-filter.gitlab.io/malware-filter/urlhaus-filter-ag-online.txt

https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/commit/402e2ebf57

https://github.com/uBlockOrigin/uAssets/issues/7636#issuecomment-1735168592

Thanks for your feedback! No problem for me to replace the EasyList Dutch by EasyDutch. I am German as you surely know. Therefore, I do not check other language-specific lists. Such changes will only be made by me if reported here such as you did. And I'll check if the Online Malicious URL Blocklist has to be replaced by the Online Malicious URL Blocklist (AdGuard). Thanks again for reporting!

Cheers, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

19 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:
  • For Pale Moon and New Moon, maxVersion increased from 29.0 to 32.0.

Thank you for the update! I assume the above means it will not install on the released Pale Moon 33 beta? Perhaps you could consider increasing it to 33.x so we can test it? Stable v33 should be out fairly soon, anyway.

5 hours ago, Octopuss said:
20 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:
  • Filter list "filters-2023.txt" added.
  • New filter list "filters-2024.txt" added.
  • Filter list "uBlock filters – Quick fixes" added, requested by @nicolaasjan.
  • Filter list "EasyList (Optimized)" added, recommended by @VistaLover.
  • Filter list "EasyPrivacy (Optimized)" added,  recommended by @VistaLover.

Can you elaborate on these changes? What are the first two lists, and what are the optimized ones? I use the last official Ublock legacy, and Easylist and Easyprivacy work just fine, or so it seems.

Hello @Octopuss! The lists "filters-2023.txt" and "filters-2024.txt" are new lists which are automatically loaded by the main filter list "filters.txt". This list can be found in the Filter lists tab with the title "uBlock filters". All of these filter lists are normally supplied by the xpi file by default and loaded internally. In the old beta xpi file of uBlock Origin 1.16.4.31b2, there were only the lists "filters.txt", "filters-2020.txt", "filters-2021.txt" and "filters-2022.txt". Due to the lack of updates, the new lists "filters-2023.txt" and "filters-2024.txt" have no longer been added to the xpi file. That's what I corrected. And I updated all of them additionally to also avoid loading errors and to be more up-to-date.
The filter lists "EasyList (Optimized)" and "EasyPrivacy (Optimized)" are simply optimised filter lists of the already existing lists "EasyList" and "EasyPrivacy". Here is a quotation taken from the EasyList (Optimized) list's description on Filterlists:

EasyList is the primary subscription that removes adverts from web pages in English language. The Optimized version is based on opt-in telemetry by AdGuard, is light on memory and comments, and gets below iOS/Safari filter limits.

Both lists were recommended by @VistaLover, and that's actually enough for me to add them to my special mod. There are much more optimised versions of filter lists available, though. I will check them when time is available.

Cheers, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper

8 hours ago, Amigafever said:

Thank you for the update! I assume the above means it will not install on the released Pale Moon 33 beta? Perhaps you could consider increasing it to 33.x so we can test it? Stable v33 should be out fairly soon, anyway.

Hello @Amigafever! I increased the maxVersion only to 32.* but it should install on Pale Moon 33 beta, too. The maxVersion is not that important as, for example, the minVersion. BTW, you can easily increase it yourself inside the install.rdf file. :yes: If my mod is working in the coming versions Pale Moon 33.x which of course has to be confirmed first, I will change the maxVersion to 33.* in my next update.

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

12 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

Hello @Octopuss! The lists "filters-2023.txt" and "filters-2024.txt" are new lists which are automatically loaded by the main filter list "filters.txt". This list can be found in the Filter lists tab with the title "uBlock filters". All of these filter lists are normally supplied by the xpi file by default and loaded internally. In the old beta xpi file of uBlock Origin 1.16.4.31b2, there were only the lists "filters.txt", "filters-2020.txt", "filters-2021.txt" and "filters-2022.txt". Due to the lack of updates, the new lists "filters-2023.txt" and "filters-2024.txt" were no longer added to the xpi file. That's what I corrected. And I updated all of them additionally to also avoid loading errors.
The filter lists "EasyList (Optimized)" and "EasyPrivacy (Optimized)" are simply optimised filter lists of the already existing lists "EasyList" and "EasyPrivacy". Here is a quotation taken from the EasyList (Optimized) list's description on Filterlists:

Both lists were recommended by @VistaLover, and that's actually enough for me to add them to my special mod. There are much more optimised versions of filter lists available, though. I will check them when time is available.

Cheers, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

Ok, but what are the filters actually about? The names are confusing. What do they do? How are they related to the years?

And what is the source of the optimized folders? I tried to google them up and didn't find anything.

Edited by Octopuss

43 minutes ago, Octopuss said:

Ok, but what are the filters actually about? The names are confusing. What do they do?

The filter list with the title "uBlock filters" contains filters optimised for uBlock, to be used along EasyList. Here is a link for more information: https://github.com/uBlockOrigin/uAssets To get information about each list, you have to look inside them.

How are they related to the years?

New filters from 2024 will be stored in the list "filters-2024.txt". Here is a quotation from inside the list:

! New filters from January 2024 to ->

And what is the source of the optimized folders? I tried to google them up and didn't find anything.

Which optimised folders? :dubbio: The "Optimized" filter lists are simply optimised versions of already existing ones. No more, no less. You can find them on the website Filterlists together with a description.

Edited by AstroSkipper

That was a typo, I meant filters of course. I'm just confused by the years. So what's special about filters from 2021 and why would I want them? Or why name filters by years? How is it relevant to the contents of the files? Filters either work or not, I just don't get it. I always enabled filters based on what they do, not by when are they from.
I also don't understand what does "based on opt-in telemetry by AdGuard" mean, but whatever, as long as they are maintained, why not.

41 minutes ago, Octopuss said:

That was a typo, I meant filters of course. I'm just confused by the years. So what's special about filters from 2021 and why would I want them? Or why name filters by years? How is it relevant to the contents of the files? Filters either work or not, I just don't get it. I always enabled filters based on what they do, not by when are they from.
I also don't understand what does "based on opt-in telemetry by AdGuard" mean, but whatever, as long as they are maintained, why not.

The filter list "filters.txt" with the title "uBlock filters" loads all the other lists "filters-202x.txt" where x is an integer from 0 to 4. They all form a single filter list with the title "uBlock filters". What is there not to understand? :dubbio: If you want to have a deeper understanding of all these things, then you need to consult the sources I provided in my previous posts and you should examine the filter lists themselves. jexplique.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

53 minutes ago, Octopuss said:

I'm just confused by the years. So what's special about filters from 2021 and why would I want them? Or why name filters by years? How is it relevant to the contents of the files? Filters either work or not, I just don't get it. I always enabled filters based on what they do, not by when are they from.

Nothing special about 2021. It's the year that particular version was released, I assume. It comes with some built-in filters (because it needs to work right out of the box, even without adding external filters), and since that was released in 2021 they are named accordingly.

Works just fine in Pale Moon 33 (beta). Thanks again for your work. Just a couple of questions:

1. In FF uBO, Malware domain/Spam404 has been replaced with the Phishing URL Blocklist. It seems the Spam404 list is somewhat superseded?

2. Not sure what is the difference between:
a) EasyList Cookie (Legacy)
b) EasyList – Cookie Notices (uBO Firefox)

Edited by Amigafever

6 hours ago, Amigafever said:

Works just fine in Pale Moon 33 (beta). Thanks again for your work.

You're welcome! :)

Just a couple of questions:

1. In FF uBO, Malware domain/Spam404 has been replaced with the Phishing URL Blocklist. It seems the Spam404 list is somewhat superseded?

I will examine this more deeply. Maybe, you are right, and the filter list "Spam404" is indeed a bit outdated and has therefore been replaced by the filter list "Phishing URL Blocklist" in the webextensions of uBO. We will see. :dubbio:

2. Not sure what is the difference between:
a) EasyList Cookie (Legacy)
b) EasyList – Cookie Notices (uBO Firefox)

I will also check this later. With all this, it is always very important to make sure that new lists are really compatible with uBlock Origin Legacy:yes:

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

8 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

Hello @Amigafever! I increased the maxVersion only to 32.0 but it should install on Pale Moon 33 beta, too.

It actually is set higher, but not inclusive of the 33 major version.  After a quick check to the install.rdf file, the Pale Moon maxVersion is set to "32.*" and not "32.0".

1 hour ago, Ascii2 said:

It actually is set higher, but not inclusive of the 33 major version.  After a quick check to the install.rdf file, the Pale Moon maxVersion is set to "32.*" and not "32.0".

It was just a typo in my article, which I already corrected. The maxVersion in the install.rdf was of course correctly set by me to 32.*. And frankly, I would never set a maxVersion to 32.0 inside an install.rdf file. That usually does not make any sense. nimportequoi.gif But thanks for your hint!

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

12 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

iOS/Safari filter limits

I know this is a Windows forum, but that's something I didn't know about! The iOS/Safari version of uBO limits the number of filters in a list? I'm sure there's a reason....

Well, after I replaced uBO 1.16.4.31b2-1.54.0 with the newly released uBO 1.16.4.31 in Serpent 55, something went seriously haywire overnight! Yesterday, all was well, but today, things weren't working right. Some sites were hanging on load, and some annoyances (cookie notices, etc.) that had been filtered out for ages suddenly reappeared.

Turned out Serpent 55 had updated uBO to version 1.17.4 overnight! Apparently, returning to a "sane" version number allowed Serpent 55 to find a "newer" version at AMO.

1.17.4 is a WebExtensions version, but it does run in Serpent 55. However, it's much, much older and lacks many of the filter lists @AstroSkipper had added.

Had to uninstall uBO, reinstall @AstroSkipper's version, reload my settings from backup, and turn off auto-updating of uBO in the browser's Extensions page.

Things seem to be back to normal again, but that was a huge mess. Hopefully there won't be any more unpleasant surprises!