[BREAKTHROUGH] NEW Nvidia drivers ported to Vista. Tutorial.

D.Draker

@win32, what do you think , do I (we) need to investigate further ? I mean, the result is already pretty marvellous with these from 2017 , I'm absolutely satisfied with them and we have very few active Vista users left.

I'm saying this not to discourage you or anyone else , by the active Vista users I meant heavy gamers in need of the newer Nvidia drivers , not just someone who uses Vista on their laptops for just browsing.

So I've just hacked much newer drivers ! Yep . Not sure I have the time/desire to write a new tutorial. Spent too much time on testings and I'm very tired. The new version works fantastic ! But I wanted to hack even the later ones and I ask @win32 (who else would I ask , surprise!) , could you help me understand how to catch a parasitic load on the memory controller ? I'm going forward with the versions and some glitches still need to be killed. Under normal circumstances the load on GTX Titan's memory controller must be 2% (idle state) . But with the tested drivers + 0.5 years from the last hacked working ones , after a couple of hours it reaches 3% , idle TDP goes from the normal 6 to 10%  and if  I start a heavy game , it crashes saying "nvidia display driver stopped responding and has recovered". Looking at the logs I see the kernel panic going on . The fault module is the nvidia sys file. But I can play after the crash!  Looks very random. How can I see what is sitting on the controller ? the load , I mean . Of course therte are no docs to read , all is secret in the nVidia labs , lol.

12 minutes ago, D.Draker said:

Looks very random. How can I see what is sitting on the controller ?

A dump of the GPU memory sounds like what you want, but in my brief online search, anyone asking for that has their question ignored. The closest thing I could think of is to track all memory allocations (and memory freeing up) from the driver, and I am not aware of an off-the-shelf solution for that.

I started writing my own drivers now, mostly to deal with the GPU issues and enhance other parts of the kernel. Hopefully there will be some results from that soon.

Thanks , very informative . I've just found the culprit ! It's the dreaded g-sync which tries to activate itself , even though it's not supposed to work on Vista . The funny thing it's just yet another not needed crap because G-sync monitors work without it . But I'm afraid we would have to cut it out of the sys file completely , I mean the portion with the code . So as of now, I'd say drivers from late 2018 and onwards are very questionable due to this issue. I think I'm gonna be staying on the early 2018 ones that I hacked yesterday . (I added the pics).

On 7/2/2022 at 3:40 AM, win32 said:

I started writing my own drivers now, mostly to deal with the GPU issues and enhance other parts of the kernel. Hopefully there will be some results from that soon.

Fantastic news ! Would it mean the plans to fix the x64 Vista startup issue abandoned for now ?

14 hours ago, D.Draker said:

Fantastic news ! Would it mean the plans to fix the x64 Vista startup issue abandoned for now ?

No, I am looking at a lot of different kernel components now.

On 7/4/2022 at 9:36 PM, win32 said:

No, I am looking at a lot of different kernel components now.

Good ! I could be a solid beta-tester since now I have these new modded nVidia drivers with a GPU that still makes sense and a kabylake CPU.

Ideally wanted to run x64 Vista using my cool modded drivers with a simple startup fix. As of now, I'm forced to run it on a very old board and it bottlenecks

CPU intensive games. I even ditched the famous Dixel's 373.19 'cause these are just so much faster.

And the idiotic jabylake system just gathering dust without any use.

On 6/26/2022 at 5:35 PM, win32 said:

I thought about that again. KeQueryLogicalProcessorRelationship is very similar to GetLogicalProcessorInformationEx, and the stub for that function worked better on 32 bit than 64 bit applications. It might be the opposite here.

So found some time today and resulted in this. The same ISO works on Kabylake mobo no probs.

https://msfn.org/board/topic/183730-32-bit-vista-installation-possibly-blocked-by-bios-how-to-unlock/

I have a friend on Discord who wants to know if getting the Nvidia 411.63 graphics driver working is possible. His name is K4Sum1 and I don't think he is registered here.

On 7/8/2022 at 4:51 AM, Jakob99 said:

I have a friend on Discord who wants to know if getting the Nvidia 411.63 graphics driver working is possible. His name is K4Sum1 and I don't think he is registered here.

Why would I need anyones name ? lol . It's like in that famous Lynch's movie where the dude always says my name's Bob .

Anyways , like I already wrote in the comment above. If he knows how to safely remove that portion , he is very welcome to create a proflle here and join the discussion.

https://msfn.org/board/topic/183688-breakthrough-new-nvidia-drivers-ported-to-vista-tutorial/?do=findComment&comment=1221422 

In the meantime , I suggest to use something like 376.99 or 377.43 or even 377.83 (this one needs a new tutorial though) , they all are very stable. (end of 2017 - early 2018)

EDIT:

If he wants , I can add what needs to be done with 377.83.

Edited by D.Draker

@win32 So I finally tested the 32 bit drivers on the same PC where the 64 bit worked perfectly . I get this Error message: "Stop error code 0x0000007e …

just like on the jabylake. What I tried , adding the new root certs . All the same . Also tried to replace with another functions.

Edited by D.Draker

3 hours ago, D.Draker said:

In the meantime , I suggest to use something like 376.99 or 377.43 or even 377.83 (this one needs a new tutorial though) , they all are very stable. (end of 2017 - early 2018)

I guess he wants rtx 20 series support because that's one of the first drivers to include support for them (411.63)

those only stretch up to pascal series