[BREAKTHROUGH] NEW Nvidia drivers ported to Vista. Tutorial.

D.Draker

13 hours ago, win32 said:

1 -  lack of DirectX kernel functions to run Vulkan.

2 - Then I tried running several OpenGL samples I built and noticed that 372.70 could not run them if they were x64, just x86.

3 - I will try an early 38x driver to replace this one.

1 - And is it needed for Vista ? I usually replace all that crap with blanks in the installer , along with OpenGL , OpenCL and never noticed anything not working.

I don't even know what that is .

2 - Oh , I see , do you need this GL for your own programmes ?

3- Do you want me to go out and purchase that thing , I mean the weirdly over-popularized piece of crap G1030 ? I can do it , we have it at our local hard shop for about 130 Euro.

It was like 70 a couple of years back.

Over-priced pile of garbage , if you ask me , but I'm willing to make that sacrifice for the sake of our testings , no probs.

1 hour ago, D.Draker said:

1 - And is it needed for Vista ? I usually replace all that crap with blanks in the installer , along with OpenGL , OpenCL and never noticed anything not working.

I don't even know what that is .

2 - Oh , I see , do you need this GL for your own programmes ?

3- Do you want me to go out and purchase that thing , I mean the weirdly over-popularized piece of crap G1030 ? I can do it , we have it at our local hard shop for about 130 Euro.

It was like 70 a couple of years back.

Over-priced pile of garbage , if you ask me , but I'm willing to make that sacrifice for the sake of our testings , no probs.

Vulkan is the successor to OpenGL. Some newer games may require it, and there is also a Vulkan wrapper for DirectX 12. A few people have asked me about Vulkan applications.

I may write OpenGL applications in the future, yes.

No, there is no need to buy that card. I am using a GTX 650 and don't consider using the low end Pascal cards. I just need something that works good for the GTX 650, and 372.70 is not it.

3 hours ago, win32 said:

I am using a GTX 650 and don't consider using the low end Pascal cards. I just need something that works good for the GTX 650, and 372.70 is not it.

In that case you can finally try out my favourite quadro driver 376.84 from the tutorial, I tested it on a kepler card GTX780Ti . Should work fine with your GTX650 since it's also a kepler.

3 hours ago, win32 said:

don't consider using the low end Pascal cards

Totally agree , they just make no sense at all. Win32 , could you please tell me how to change the white Vista UI to some neutral or dark colour ? I mean the 255 255 255 .

Need a quick solution without the use of the 3rd party themes. Because I have to make clean installs of the system quite often when testing the drivers , etc.

@win32 , I mean I want to do the same for Vista , but patch not only the shell32 , but also everywhere , to remove the bloody 255 255 255 colour .

As you can see , his background still has the blindingly white colour , while the left half is patched with the good dark tone in his shell32. Will you help me ? Thanks .

Why do I ask here ? Simple , the latest Nvidia drivers tend to crash often when I use those old custom made newbie "themes", and esp. after 3rd party tools

like the primitive uxtheme patcher.

https://www.deviantart.com/h4rdtr4nce/art/shell32-dll-Dark-Mod-Updated-145334430

Edited by D.Draker
link

I don't know very much about theming. I know that I did make *everything* dark on Windows 2000, but I never tried on Vista. Things like the main part of Explorer don't seem to be easily changeable like they used to be. I know some people who know theming better, perhaps I'll ask them if there's a way to do it without significant patching of the shell or Explorer.

3 hours ago, win32 said:

I'll ask them if there's a way to do it without significant patching of the shell or Explorer.

Thanks, only if it won't take much time , I don't want to distract you . I can live with my custom themes just fine . But the latest drivers I tried , don't seem to be stable with them .

I just don't write everything here , but I continue to try the newer drivers and then test, test and test. So I'll wait for your results with 382.16. It's more important now.

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, D.Draker said:

@win32, I've had some success with the 378 drivers . Would you help me teleporting the portion of the code responsible for the power states from any older drivers that worked fine ? 

Is it difficult ? Thanks. 

Unfortunately it would be difficult because no debugging symbols are available for NVIDIA drivers (they have a "symbol server", but it has no debugging symbols in it). It is not very easy to identify which part of the driver is responsible for a certain task.

11 hours ago, win32 said:

Unfortunately it would be difficult because no debugging symbols are available for NVIDIA drivers (they have a "symbol server", but it has no debugging symbols in it). It is not very easy to identify which part of the driver is responsible for a certain task.

Indeed it is very unfortunate. This could be a huge wall we need to break . It's even more evil than the missing functions. A short description of the problem is that the power states not always switch or reset correctly . Though the weirdest thing - it works much better with Haswell ! Yes , you read right . The same haswell that has "timing" issues or whatever you call it . On Haswell it could crash like only 3-5 times a day . Though on others , like LGA1156 it crashes like crazy . Weird , right ? Maybe we could cheat the driver then ? Trick it into thinking it's operating a haswell PC ?

P.C.

I now also have a new haswell machine to make tests , in addition to my kabylake and other older ones. All are with the cheapest CPUs though .