Windows 11 First Impressions

Dave-H

I managed to install Windows 11 on my ancient (for a computer) 2009 motherboard.
After a few Windows Updates I now have Windows 11 Pro 21H2 build 22000.160.

First impression is that it's pretty much Windows 10 with a slightly different GUI.
Mainly the Start Menu is different, other changes, like to Explorer, seem to be just cosmetic, different icons etc.
The settings menu does look different, but its functionality is exactly the same as far as I can see.

I was very pleased to find that some things which I thought might well have been gone are in fact still there.
The old Control Panel is still there, to my great surprise.
Windows 7 Backup and Restore is still there, which pleased me as I do use it.

I was pleased to find that I could still use a local account, exactly as on Windows 10.
I had read some reports saying that was no longer possible, and you had to sign in with a Microsoft account.

Internet Explorer does seem to be finally gone. A stub remains that just goes to the MSN homepage on Edge if you run it.

All the apps seem to be pretty much as on Windows 10, and work exactly the same.

Start Menu live tiles have gone completely, replace by boring fixed size static icons, which I think is a great shame, as I found the live tiles useful on some apps, like weather, news and photos. Why they removed them I don't know, perhaps they thought they were a waste of resources.

Apparently Open/Classic Shell no longer works properly on Windows 11 at present, which is a huge shame, but I hope that can be fixed by its developers.

So, fairly underwhelming IMO.
:D

Edited by Tripredacus
title change after merge

56 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

I was pleased to find that I could still use a local account, exactly as on Windows 10.
I had read some reports saying that was no longer possible, and you had to sign in with a Microsoft account.

According to https://www.pcworld.com/article/3623830/only-windows-11-pro-will-let-you-install-windows-11-with-a-local-account.html, I think that is only true for the "home" version, and not for "Pro." and even then, 

The Windows 11 Home MSA requirement isn’t permanent, just unavoidable. Microsoft will allow the user to transition to a local account once the Windows 11 Home installation process has completed. Retail versions of Windows 11 Home will offer the same experience.

Cheers and Regards

Ah thanks, the setup didn't make it at all obvious how to install it with a local account, but it did once I found how. As you say, must have been because it's the Pro version.
:)

What I noticed Windows 11 start menu is forced to centre before you activate it. I was setting it up to one person and my practise is avoid excess internet use before done all tweaks and seems option to force to side is locked behind activation. After it was activated had no issue and it offered centre or side. I guess finally found reason to make peoples buy licence by forcing it wrong place by default:buehehe:

On 8/19/2021 at 11:05 PM, Dave-H said:

Internet Explorer does seem to be finally gone. A stub remains that just goes to the MSN homepage on Edge if you run it.

Internet explorer is sorta gone. Microsoft edge got ie compability mode that uses mshtml.dll from internet explorer. Small step to right direction. Now all they need allow is remove MS edge, anticonsumer inexperience (one that downloads all bloatware and shows ads), microsoft store and lot more and add option to them at add and remove software menu and remove all traces off them if user wants unticks it, but I highly doubt they will allow remove features that benefit M$. Last time windows had browser free desktop by default was in 1995 on windows 95 RTM.

All the apps seem to be pretty much as on Windows 10, and work exactly the same.

well Windows 11 is just Windows 10 with kde ripoff desktop, stupid artificial requiments and few other tweaks. It is not different from the Windows 10 mostly for now which makes me wonder if win11 updates can be used on windows 10 in 2025

Edited by Mr.Scienceman2000

41 minutes ago, Mr.Scienceman2000 said:

Now all they need allow is remove MS edge

Maybe this would help: https://beebom.com/how-uninstall-microsoft-edge-windows-11/

I don't see them putting an option in GUI.

41 minutes ago, Mr.Scienceman2000 said:

Last time windows had browser free desktop by default was in 1995 on windows 95 RTM.

That was another era. We didn't have internet connection at my home until 2004.

Edited by UCyborg

1 hour ago, UCyborg said:

Maybe this would help: https://beebom.com/how-uninstall-microsoft-edge-windows-11/

I don't see them putting an option in GUI.

That was another era. We didn't have internet connection at my home until 2004.

my point was not I do not want to have browser. I mean browser on OS should be user removable. Baking browser that keep getting updates if terrible idea. Microsoft abuses it monopoly by bundling unremovable components on Windows. That is my problem. 

On 8/21/2021 at 6:31 PM, Mr.Scienceman2000 said:

ll Windows 11 is just Windows 10 with kde ripoff desktop

well if you remember
kde 3 was ripoff of XP GUI
kde 4 aimed at ripping Vista GUI
now microsoft rips kde off :P

not that kde 5 is nice in any way...
if anything it is ugliest of them all

Just some IT guy had it on his office PC. The main stuff was either on 10 or Server 2016/2019. Not much visual difference between them and I don't always pay attention to whether Server Manager is there or not. It wasn't at IT company, they do things with aluminium actually.

I managed to install Windows 11 on my ancient (for a computer) 2009 motherboard.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/unsupported-win11-pcs-wont-update wonder how long it will work if that is true. Ms will block updates on Windows 11 if unsupported cpu. You may need use wsusoffline or similar to continue getting updates in future. Or maybe someone makes patch similar to wufuc (allows bypass ryzen block on win7 update) to Windows 11

On 8/29/2021 at 12:30 AM, Dave-H said:

I'm amazed that it would be, it's still only in beta!
:o

On 8/28/2021 at 10:43 PM, UCyborg said:

Didn't think I'd see it in the corporate environment so soon.

well back in 90s Microsoft made many company networks running Microsoft Chigaco (Windows 95 beta) before it was stable so it is possible that some companies move to it partially. I already heard plans from getting win11 on my workplace and how it will affect on getting new hardware.

Edited by Mr.Scienceman2000