Last Versions of software to properly work on 8.1

Jaguarek62

I’ve decided to create this thread, since the amount of half working programs have became kinda crazy.

Handbrake - 1.3 is the latest officially supported version. At this time the newest version work just fine, but it is no longer supported.

Beamng.Drive and Rocket League - Both give "App stopped working" When you properly exit them. They function just fine, but this weird message comes up every time.

Geforce experience - While you can install and open the newest 1.24 geforce experience, it no longer screen captures and many other functions stops working. 1.23 is the latest one that still work normally.

VMware workstation Pro - The newest 16.2.1 version of this still functions on 8.1, but 3D acceleration has been turned off for some reason. 16.1.2 is the latest one that still functions as intended.

Logitech GHUB - The latest version works if you update it through vista compatibility setting. For some users a warning saying that the driver is not digitally signed pops up, but everything still works.

iTunes - See my topic on this. 

Onedrive - Microsoft claims that it will stop working on 1st of january 2022

Office 2019 - Somewhere on msfn I’ve seen people claiming that it can be installed. I use office 365 and it still updates to their newest version just fine.

Ryzen CPUs - They work just fine. Don’t forget to manually install missing pci drivers from amd folder and usb 3.1 root hub. Use AMD’s windows 10 driver version 2.17.25.506

RTX 3000 - Unfortunately no known workaround has been found :(

RX 6000 by amd - They seem to work. Sometimes you get weird colors on unity games.

Please contribute to this list. 

Cheers

Edited by Jaguarek62

17 minutes ago, Jaguarek62 said:

Onedrive - Microsoft claims that it will stop working on 1st of january 2022

OneDrive for business should work after that date? You can still download and use it on 8.1 with registry tweak.

"If you are using the OneDrive desktop application for business, starting January 1, 2022, support for this application will be aligned with the Windows support lifecycle."

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/microsoft-onedrive-blog/end-of-support-for-onedrive-desktop-application-on-windows-7-8/ba-p/2929066

paint.NET 4.3.3 is the last version to work on Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8.1. Starting with version 4.4 paint.NET will only work on a more recent version of Windows 10 and Windows 11. paint.NET is also discontinuing 32-bit versions of its app even under 32-bit versions of Windows 10: https://forums.getpaint.net/topic/118933-paintnet-433-is-now-available/

If paint.NET doesn't work on Windows 8, can you use Dependency Walker to determine which entry points are missing in Windows 8?

Windows 10 will be supported until October 14, 2025 and Windows 11 will be supported until October 14, 2031.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/28/2021 at 7:08 PM, Jaguarek62 said:

RX 6000 by amd - They seem to work. Sometimes you get weird colors on unity games.

Just gonna add that for me my RX 6600 XT driver on Windows 8.1 does keep crashing so people might wanna keep that in mind

On 12/28/2021 at 8:08 PM, Jaguarek62 said:

Handbrake - 1.3 is the latest officially supported version. At this time the newest version work just fine, but it is no longer supported.

Handbrake 1.5.1 doesn't run for me anymore, they decided to lock it to Windows 10 or later...

unknown.png.9487faa3ebd62a3d209f02bb513272f6.png

So far just removing the version check is enough to get it working, at least on Windows 8.1: https://github.com/archeYR/HandBrake-w81/commits/1.5.x
image.thumb.png.ea1627bbc2a82aa7fcc9df19c1ed0204.png

Edited by Illen

• 1 year later...

Strangely, if you download and install a version of Office 365, where you can still join the Insider Program (below 2301), it will install the latest (2303) without any errors on Windows 8.1. They officially ended support with 2301

• 2 weeks later...

Well, now that Office v2304 Insider is out, I wanted to test it doing the same method as I stated above, however I can't search for updates on older Office releases anymore. It simply says "Office is up-to-date" when I join the beta program. So, Microsoft must have noticed and blocked searching/installing betas on Windows 8.1

V2301 was the last officially supported

V2302 works when you join Release Preview

V2303 worked (can no longer be downloaded)

V2304 ? , cant be downloaded

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/10/2023 at 3:13 AM, yoltboy01 said:

Well, now that Office v2304 Insider is out, I wanted to test it doing the same method as I stated above, however I can't search for updates on older Office releases anymore. It simply says "Office is up-to-date" when I join the beta program. So, Microsoft must have noticed and blocked searching/installing betas on Windows 8.1

V2301 was the last officially supported

V2302 works when you join Release Preview

V2303 worked (can no longer be downloaded)

V2304 ? , cant be downloaded

Office v2304 works on windows 8.1. 

I used a tool from MDL (My Digital Life), who is called Office C2R Extender for Windows 8.1 which bypasses the version restriction and allow newer office versions to be installed. The tool was made by abbodi1406

fx6RfDv.png

I

Edited by 25495k

37 minutes ago, 25495k said:

Office v2304 works on windows 8.1

fx6RfDv.png

You installed Office on your Windows 10, then copied Office's installation folder to Windows 8.1, correct?

Edit: I see now how you got it to work.

Edited by mina7601

1 minute ago, mina7601 said:

You installed Office on your Windows 10, then copied Office's installation folder to Windows 8.1, correct?

i used a tool i found on my digital life, called Office c2r extender for windows 8.1.

1 hour ago, 25495k said:

Office v2304 works on windows 8.1. 

I used a tool from MDL (My Digital Life), who is called Office C2R Extender for Windows 8.1 which bypasses the version restriction and allow newer office versions to be installed. The tool was made by abbodi1406

fx6RfDv.png

I

Very nice to know - thank you!

MS also ended Office 365 Support for Windows 8.0 with 2002 but I remember 2005 and 2006 worked on 8.0

1 hour ago, yoltboy01 said:

Very nice to know - thank you!

MS also ended Office 365 Support for Windows 8.0 with 2002 but I remember 2005 and 2006 worked on 8.0

very good job @25495k! you have definitely done a good service to the 8.1 forum and the entire msfn forum

Edited by legacyfan
Edit: Added The Right User