StartAllBack for Windows 11

Tihiy

Thanks for creating StartAllBack! I'd like to purchase it, but there is one major issue that is holding me back. When StartAllBack is running, when I hold Alt and repeatedly press Tab to cycle through the open windows, it does not switch to the selected window when I release Tab. I have to press Enter or click the desired window. This problem goes away if I disable StartAllBack. Is there any way to resolve this issue?

Edited by bdr9

Hi,

First of all: great work! I love it!

I noticed a slight bug when using the Ribbon mode of the Explorer: the window title is white, which is almost unreadable on light background colours. The 11 standard Explorer correctly uses black text color.

I also noticed that the german translation still has lots of untranslated texts. I hereby offer my help in completing the translation. :)

1 hour ago, Tihiy said:

Those sound like transient Win11 bugs, can't repro them

Since M$ removed the ability to use "Start_ShowClassicMode" to get the Win10 Start Menu back, will it be possible to re-enable the Win10 Start Menu in a future version of StartAllBack? Or is the Classic Start Menu going to be the only option?

Please do not hijack posts. Reinstating Win10 menu as it was is not planned. Even if it is possible, it will be too fragile.

Reimplementing is considered, but that won't happen anytime soon. Start11 will do that tomorrow but it is strictly not compatible with StartAllBack.

Edited by Tihiy

3 hours ago, Tihiy said:

Those sound like transient Win11 bugs, can't repro them

I meant the translation of your SAB settings. There are still a lot of english items (roughly 70% is not yet translated into german, e.g. the whole "Welcome" tab, most of the "Taskbar" tab, the entire "Explorer" tab etc.), but I would gladly help to complete the german translation.

As for the text bug when using Ribbon Explorer: this only happens when the Mica effect is turned on. Then the Window title should be black, but is white. Did I understand correctly that you have no influence on that?

ribbon explorer title no mica.png

ribbon explorer title with mica.png

Edited by Locutus2002

2.9.91 RC(2)

- Implemented Search / Task View hover popups

- Removed Widgets if they're uninstalled

- Fixed search crash on certain systems

- Fixed close button thumbnail styling

- Fixed empty names for Win+X menu items

Hi,

StartAllBack 2.9.91 RC2:

Using StartAllBack taskbar and start menu :

If I click on the start menu icon first, start menu open normally, then if I click on the search icon, search window open normally, but if I click again at the start menu icon, search menu is still open and the start menu does not open.

Using Windows 11 start menu and StartAllBack taskbar:

I can toggle clicking on both icon and the action if correctly toggled.

Thank you.

Hi,

Is it possible to get the same start menu color as the search window and calendar and notification window?

Thank you.

Edited by wmn

On 10/4/2021 at 3:18 PM, Tihiy said:

... Restore taskbar functionality
...all-singing, all-dancing....

It is indeed, solves a major problem for me, I am your fan now!

In case my testimony helps:

Even as MS kept dumbing down different parts of the OS, I was glad to find ways to adjust and adapt.
Though the changes in 11 have been... %#^%#^%@#@!
If the issue was only about Start Menu, I'd have used Open-Shell and been just fine.
But force-combined taskbar buttons and removal of custom toolbars broke my workflow.
No other _actively maintained_ app (including Start11) addresses this important part for me.
StartAllBack has single-handedly made Win11 tolerable, preventing me from running back to win10.
I did the easy part - buying.
Hoping enough people do that, to motivate you to keep up with the constant UI-style breakages that win11 will surely throw at us all.

One thought though, for when I will format and reinstall.
I see that some of the settings (not all) reside in the registry at HKCU\Software\StartIsBack.
There is no inbuilt way to backup/restore settings. What would I need to do, to manually backup/restore all settings myself?

1 hour ago, Tihiy said:

2.9.91 RC(2)

- Implemented Search / Task View hover popups

- Removed Widgets if they're uninstalled

- Fixed search crash on certain systems

- Fixed close button thumbnail styling

- Fixed empty names for Win+X menu items

thank you !!! it is sooo perfect for me !!

14 hours ago, Tihiy said:

Please report it to TrafficMonitor. They need to support Win11 classic taskbar separately

Win11 classic taskbar is already supported.

The screenshot was from Win11 without SAB. So clearly SAB ist the Problem...

Edited by geneticplasma