Adobe Flash, Shockwave, and Oracle Java on XP (Part 2)

Dave-H

I'm not sure if it has been addressed anywhere, but if you overwrite the contents of the Java 8 Update 152 folder with the contents of Java 8 Update 191, it completely fails in Internet Explorer 8. The runtime doesn't even appear.

javafail.jpg

The Java runtime works successfully if you rollback to Java 8 Update 152. (http://sdfox7.com/xp/sp3/EOL/jre-8u152-windows-i586.exe)

java1521.jpg

java1522.jpg

34 minutes ago, sdfox7 said:

I'm not sure if it has been addressed anywhere, but if you overwrite the contents of the Java 8 Update 152 folder with the contents of Java 8 Update 191, it completely fails in Internet Explorer 8. The runtime doesn't even appear.

Just a guess; but I would assume one should use "odd with odd" and "even with even" since the releases apparently have slightly different functionality. :unsure:

Try Update 191 with a 151 install, and Update 192 with a 152 install. If these work you could then try Update 192 with a 151 install, and if it fails then it would confirm my suspicion.

FWIW there has been a rather unexpected update to Silverlight!
It's now 5.1.50918.0.
It's just an update for the Japanese calendar change.
I was offered it on Windows 10, and downloaded the installer and manually installed it on XP, so I don't know whether MS Update is offering it on POSReady hacked XP or not.
:)

Edited by Dave-H
Addition

1 hour ago, Dave-H said:

I just got it from here -
https://www.microsoft.com/silverlight/
I assume it's the same file!

It is - if you spoofed 32-bit Win 7 or later in your browser's user agent string. (Actually, spoofing a 32-bit browser on 64-bit Windows would probably work too, but I didn't try that.)

Vista and XP are offered older versions. 64-bit Win 7 is offered a 64-bit version, of course.

BTW, on Firefox or its derivatives (NM/Serpent/MyPal/Seamonkey/etc.), make sure to use/spoof version 52, since later versions don't permit any plug-ins besides Flash.

Edit: BTW, does anyone know of a good Silverlight test page (other than Amazon Prime)?

Edited by Mathwiz

It seems that this Silverlight update mention has been split between this thread and another

but I find it funny to note that that the digital signature shows October 23 and it is just being released now!

The Microsoft link is https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=57768. The direct download link is https://download.microsoft.com/download/D/D/F/DDF23DF4-0186-495D-AA35-C93569204409/50918.00/Silverlight.exe

I've also added it to my FTP: http://sdfox7.com/xp/sp3/EOL/Silverlight5.1.50918.exe

I'm surprised by the update since Silverlight is basically a dead technology and the last update was nearly 2 years ago. If you use Netflix in Google Chrome or Firefox on Windows XP, it will use HTML5.

3 hours ago, Mathwiz said:

It is - if you spoofed 32-bit Win 7 or later in your browser's user agent string. (Actually, spoofing a 32-bit browser on 64-bit Windows would probably work too, but I didn't try that.)

Vista and XP are offered older versions. 64-bit Win 7 is offered a 64-bit version, of course.

BTW, on Firefox or its derivatives (NM/Serpent/MyPal/Seamonkey/etc.), make sure to use/spoof version 52, since later versions don't permit any plug-ins besides Flash.

Edit: BTW, does anyone know of a good Silverlight test page (other than Amazon Prime)?

I actually downloaded it while I was still in Windows 10, using Firefox 64, so that's why I got the right version!
Interesting to know that I might well have got an earlier version if I'd done it with FF 52.9 ESR on XP.
The installer presumably contains the 32 bit and 64 bit versions, as it correctly installed the 32 bit version on XP.

36 minutes ago, sdfox7 said:

It seems that this Silverlight update mention has been split between this thread and another

Yes, @Dave-H & I both decided to post about today's Silverlight update at around the same time. He picked this thread & I picked another :whistle:

7 hours ago, Mathwiz said:

Yes, @Dave-H & I both decided to post about today's Silverlight update at around the same time. He picked this thread & I picked another :whistle:

HA!

As I noted in the other thread, you must use Silverlight with Internet Explorer. I had forgotten that it doesn’t work with Chrome 49 on XP.  I was trying to test it today in Chrome and nothing was happening.