"Ancient" Pinned Threads in XP sub-forum

"Ancient" Pinned Threads  

12 members have voted

1. 1. 7 of the 16 "pinned" threads in this forum are "ancient" and taking up space. Do we need to keep them "pinned"? Does not need to be too complex, three-and-only-three options. (Though I considered adding a fourth option, "Add more pins so that we always just skip to Page 2 for new and recent content".)

• Yes, do nothing, keep them pinned as-is.
    • No, unpin them, WinXP-users that are looking for that info will still find it via search (either from within or landing here from an external search).
    • I'm riding the fence, I'm okay with where the yes and no replies land us.

This poll is closed to new votes

Couldn't resist.... If anyone is curious and can handle userscripts (JS), this wraps up the Pinned-Topics in a smaller box with scrollbars.
The CSS values can alternatively be defined in a user CSS file (#idPinnedTopics{max-height: 400px;} etc)

if (document.location.href.toString().substr(0,29) == 'https://msfn.org/board/forum/'){
if (document.getElementById('idPinnedTopics') == null) {
var LIST=document.querySelectorAll('i.fa-thumb-tack');
if (LIST && LIST.length > 0){
var wrapPins=document.createElement('ol');
wrapPins.id='idPinnedTopics';
wrapPins.style.overflow='scroll';
wrapPins.style.maxHeight='400px';
wrapPins.style.border='4px solid gold';
// (Add or not?) wrapPins.className='ipsClear ipsDataList cForumTopicTable cTopicList';

var pin1=LIST[0].parentNode.parentNode.parentNode.parentNode.parentNode;
var pinsOL=pin1.parentNode;
pinsOL.parentNode.insertBefore(wrapPins, pinsOL);
var i, pinX; for (i=0; i < LIST.length; i++){
pinX=LIST[i].parentNode.parentNode.parentNode.parentNode.parentNode;
wrapPins.appendChild(pinX);
}}}}

But so far only tested in my old K-Meleon, hope it works in other browsers too.
Will probably wrap it in a macro when getting around.

@dencorso

Maybe unpin the redirects while waiting for the weekend, so we can see how much they will dive?

@siria

I tried to quickly test your script as a bookmarklet (in NM27) by appending javascript: in the begining. I did it in the Win9x forums, but nothing happened.

Then tried through the web console, it says "SyntaxError: missing } in compound statement"

[edit]

Removing the comment line made it work in the web console.

As a bookmarklet it has some issue though. It wraps the pinned topics as intended, but then quickly cleans the page, leaving only the text [object HTMLLIElement]

Edited by RainyShadow

With the current trend of pure white interfaces, pinned topics are annoying to scroll past to find actual new posts. Traditionally stickied topics used to be shaded darker or a different color, and easy to ignore. At "least" here the pin icon is still green, but it's barely visible being so small. On the Vista forum there is a warning about a paradox, which nobody has used or needed for years. The XP section will now look better if the redirects go away.

@RainyShadow
Thanks for testing!

Ah yes, if merged into a 1-line-BOOKMARKLET, the usual commentline sign // breaks the scripts. So as usual it helps to either delete all comments, or put them between starlets at begin and end /* xxxx */
As for the clearing prob, good hint, could reproduce and fix. By placing the code into a function wrap, another usual fix that often works:
javascript:(function(){...code....})()

BOOKMARKLET:

javascript:(function(){if (document.location.href.toString().substr(0,29) == 'https://msfn.org/board/forum/'){ if (document.getElementById('idPinnedTopics') == null) { var LIST=document.querySelectorAll('i.fa-thumb-tack'); if (LIST && LIST.length > 0){ var wrapPins=document.createElement('ol'); wrapPins.id='idPinnedTopics'; wrapPins.style.overflow='scroll'; wrapPins.style.maxHeight='400px'; wrapPins.style.border='4px solid gold'; /* (Add or not?) wrapPins.className='ipsClear ipsDataList cForumTopicTable cTopicList'; */ var pin1=LIST[0].parentNode.parentNode.parentNode.parentNode.parentNode; var pinsOL=pin1.parentNode; pinsOL.parentNode.insertBefore(wrapPins, pinsOL); var i, pinX; for (i=0; i < LIST.length; i++){ pinX=LIST[i].parentNode.parentNode.parentNode.parentNode.parentNode; wrapPins.appendChild(pinX); }}}}})()

3 hours ago, RainyShadow said:

Maybe unpin the redirects while waiting for the weekend, so we can see how much they will dive?

OK. By popular demand: Redirects removed. The 1st user to ask about where they went gets a kick on the bee-hind!
@roytam1's own thread brought back and unpinned. I think creating "Part 3" and letting that ginormous thread sink is really warranted.

Thanks Den.
@roytam1could I suggest that you wait until you publish your next set of browser updates, and put them at the head of a part 3 thread.
That would seem to me to be the best time to do it.
The part 2 thread can then be locked and placed in the subfolder for reference purposes.
:)

siria,

it works, yay! I have wondered before why so many bookmarklets were written as functions, so that must be it.

Is there an easy way to also vertically shrink the wrapped topics? Like, minimize the white space and/or reduce the fonts?

---

Dave-H,

+1  :D

---

28 minutes ago, dencorso said:

OK. By popular demand: Redirects removed.

Hey, i really wanted to see them sinking for couple days...

Anyways, too late now.

Edited by RainyShadow

2 hours ago, Dave-H said:

Thanks Den.
@roytam1could I suggest that you wait until you publish your next set of browser updates, and put them at the head of a part 3 thread.
That would seem to me to be the best time to do it.
The part 2 thread can then be locked and placed in the subfolder for reference purposes.

since there is no new UXP-related commit(s), I'd like to postpone creating part 3 for a week or two.

Edited by roytam1

RainyShadow said:
it works, yay! I have wondered before why so many bookmarklets were written as functions, so that must be it.
Is there an easy way to also vertically shrink the wrapped topics? Like, minimize the white space and/or reduce the fonts?

Great, thanks for confirming! :-)
If the forum shows up for you with completely messy vertical whitespace and huge font, nearly unusable, that sounds like you use a slightly older browser too? Yeah I had struggled ENDLESSLY with that mess too after the last forum-downgrade, with mine being especially ancient. But had finally figured a few css-tricks, posted here:
https://msfn.org/board/topic/182251-old-browsers-ips-forum-layout-bugs-self-help-tweaks-css/

Have a look, there are solutions for several crucial msfn layout probs since the last layout downgrade desaster.

Especially the HUGE FONT prob can probably most easily be fixed by our site admin, by simply replacing a font size defined in REM unit with a normal PX size, which can hardly be a prob considering all other fontsizes are px anyway (he added it at end of xxx_custom.css)
Luckily this can also be fixed in a user CSS, details in link above.
Edited by siria

10 hours ago, roytam1 said:

since there is no new UXP-related commit(s), I'd like to postpone creating part 3 for a week or two.

Of course, no problem!
We're not actually quite at 200 pages for the present thread yet anyway.
Cheers, Dave.

On 4/16/2021 at 1:14 PM, siria said:

If the forum shows up for you with completely messy vertical whitespace and huge font, nearly unusable, that sounds like you use a slightly older browser too?

I use the NewMoon 27 SSE builds by Roy.

It's not that the font is too huge ( i actually increase most font sizes for easier reading from distance), i just thought that making the pinned topics smaller when wrapped by your script would look better and reduce the need for scrolling.