Geforce GT 710 cards under Windows XP, Findings

gerwin

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, MinimumAttic410 said:

Question: is it safe to edit .inf file to add unofficial support to officially-not-supported driver for this card? (asking for hw-pc health, not for nvidia)

I don't see how hardware PC health could be negatively affected. Not in general and not with this particular modification. If some essential part of the driver would be a mismatch with the hardware, then it would hang the system as soon as that mismatched code path was ran. Also, if people would have dying hardware because of such, it would be reported. My GT 710 system still runs fine.

Edited by gerwin
typo

11 hours ago, modnar said:

@MinimumAttic410: The first (most important file) is nv4_dispi.inf, but there are 45 of them (to cover all use cases).

Here is the .7z package of all of 368.81 inf's (just copy them into your upacked driver directory: Display.Driver) with version changed from 10.18.13.6881 to 6.14.13.6881 (only version has been changed, nothing else).

368-81_xp-last_v6-14.7z 58.88 kB · 1 download

Thank you! i didnt know all those .inf files need to be edited. Do you think this edit fixes freeze issue? I will test it and write my experiences here. it is really odd that non of the drivers working correctly and stable for GT 710 officially.. I think nvidia didnt care about winXP at all after releasing this card. but in other hand, GT 730 is working perfectly and better (at least 25% more performance) comparing GT710.

Edited by MinimumAttic410
typo

4 hours ago, gerwin said:

I don't see how hardware PC health could be negatively affected. Not in general and not with this particular modification. If some essential part of the driver would be a mismatch with the hardware, then it would hang the system as soon as that mismatched code path was ran. Also, if people would have dying hardware because of such, it would be reported. My GT 710 system still runs fine.

I mean, after all, v344.75 is not supported officially by nvidia for this specific card model. anyway other (later) drivers which are supposed to support are problematic too.. maybe lack of tests and poor driver config.

15 hours ago, ED_Sln said:

Also try replacing in inf not the first ID you get, but from another 710, maybe that also affects what will be installed.

According to Device Manager, device id is "PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_128B&SUBSYS_85E71043&REV_A1\4&2E5EAC9&0&0008"

According to GPU-Z, device id is "10DE 128B - 1043 85E7"

What i used in nvaci.inf in v344.75 :

%NVIDIA_DEV.128B% = Section001, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_128B&SUBSYS_85E71043&REV_A1

and

NVIDIA_DEV.128B = "NVIDIA GeForce GT 710

what could be correct line(s) for my exact device id?

NOTE: attached nvaci.inf is based on 368.81 as an example. there only GT710 i see is > NVIDIA_DEV.1140.0841.1025 = "NVIDIA GeForce 710M"

nvaci.inf

14 hours ago, modnar said:

@MinimumAttic410: The first (most important file) is nv4_dispi.inf, but there are 45 of them (to cover all use cases).

Here is the .7z package of all of 368.81 inf's (just copy them into your upacked driver directory: Display.Driver) with version changed from 10.18.13.6881 to 6.14.13.6881 (only version has been changed, nothing else).

368-81_xp-last_v6-14.7z 58.88 kB · 1 download

Ok I installed back v368.81 with 45 edited inf files, 3dmark2001se finalized benchmark without freeze issue but need to test more. it doesnt always freeze at first tests. Score: 40818 (better than v344.75)

my results:

JY5oHp0.png

nNfjrsC.png

xiJv8dn.png

EDIT: Just installed NFS Most Wanted, while launching game nv4 display driver stopped responding, freezed, had to hard reset the pc.

EDIT2: This time I turned off MSI Afterburner and Riva Tuner (latest version) and launched NFS Most wanted and played fine but while benchmarking 2nd time with 3dmark2001 freezed again. seems modified v368.81 is not good either.

Maybe you have a problem with the PC hardware. I have GTX 750 Ti with the latest iCafe drivers and it works. I wonder if it would be stable under NT 6 on the same harware.

Some games do not work under XP because they run out of 32-bit memory. Then the system spectacularly crashes. Direct3D9 seems to take double the memory, in video RAM and in system RAM (in the Paged Pool address space, which can be listed by PoolMon). If I alt-tab out of a game, it copies some of the video memory into system memory. Video memory use fall to near zero. OpenGL doesn't do this. Maybe it helps when alt-tabbing back in. On XP SP1, the paged pool was around 100 MB. On XP SP3 and the latest Server it is about 300 MB, and the problem may not be experienced. But possibly can because these new cards have a lot of memory on board.

I can compare memory use using Euro Truck Simulator 1.35, which is a very demanding game, and supports both Direct3D and OpenGL. It will crash in Direct3D after driving through new maps for 15-20 minutes. A crash also occurs with GTA SAMP using the default cache memory setting, which is optimized for modern PCs.

The Sims 2 FreeTime actually causes a BSOD when launched repeatedly. I couldn't understand the reason. It does not use much memory. Perhaps the driver has overlooked something when reloading a cache, and they've stopped testing it in depth for an obsolete Windows version. With this game there was some blame passed between developers of Maxis and nVidia, but supposedly it was resolved, but not for me.

I have been using GT 730 with v344.75 for a while with same PC and it is doing very stable unlike GT 710. Games I tested and 3dmark2001se are not so power hungry softwares i guess. GT 730 with latest drivers such as v368.81 also caused freeze issue but has been very stable with v344.75.

I dont know what else test I can do with PC and GPU health.

I can say (except OpenGL showing 4.4 instead of 4.5 and not showing some other features on GPU-Z comparing native supported drivers) seems modified v344.75 is stable with GT 710. But need to run it for some days for more experience.

2 hours ago, MinimumAttic410 said:

but has been very stable with v344.75.

Then use the v344.75 driver, I don't think OpenGL version 4.5 is required anywhere. And I'm sure you don't use OpenCL and CUDA, so the fact that they're not there won't be a problem. PhysX should probably just be reinstalled, here are links to it, you need to install two versions, 9.13 Legacy is required for games released before 2010 https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/physx/physx-9-13-0604-legacy-driver/ and version 9.19 is required for games after 2010 https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/physx/9_19_0218/physx-9-19-0218-driver/ It also happens that the new GPU-Z does not show PhysX correctly, so I check with the old version, 0.8.5 https://www.upload.ee/files/16448328/GPU-Z_v0.8.5.exe.html

I'm glad the 6.14.13.6881 worked better - I reiterate - the only thing changed in all inf-files was the version - to make driver compatible with fireferret foolish blocklist.xml so we can have browser graphics acceleration.

If your GT710 isn't stable, it might be overheating peradventure? I mean it's not necessarily software fault. It's a nvKepler card, so it should work as any other, I had GTX 680, 770 and 780Ti with this driver and all worked well, no instabilities.

Any yeah GT730 is better than 710, theoretically 2x, it has 2x the amount of shaders (384) in 2 texture processing clusters.

Edited by modnar
Added information

14 hours ago, MinimumAttic410 said:

I have been using GT 730 with v344.75 for a while with same PC and it is doing very stable unlike GT 710. Games I tested and 3dmark2001se are not so power hungry softwares i guess. GT 730 with latest drivers such as v368.81 also caused freeze issue but has been very stable with v344.75.

I dont know what else test I can do with PC and GPU health.

I can say (except OpenGL showing 4.4 instead of 4.5 and not showing some other features on GPU-Z comparing native supported drivers) seems modified v344.75 is stable with GT 710. But need to run it for some days for more experience.

"unlike GT 710" with a newer driver you mean?

Tiny bump in OpenGL version or PhysX is irrelevant unless you have a specific use for it.  IMO Practical observed stability goes above any trivial features or small benchmark gains. There is no "GPU health" as such. How would that be measured? Only thing I can imagine is obviously overheated cards and/or cards which show artifacts on screen. Or of course, 'dead' cards. If you are worried, buy a spare, that is what I do. I mean, I am not worried, but I still bought a spare.

You could test GPU-Z display of "Bus interface". I found on older motherboards this may get stuck in a certain power saving mode, after warm reboots. Which then decreases GPU performance a bit, until it is 'woken up again'.

58 minutes ago, gerwin said:

"unlike GT 710" with a newer driver you mean?

yes, apparently non of the official supported drivers work for GT 710. as I said, i need to test more with modded v344.75.

idle temps for GT 710 is around 54-55C, while benchmarking and gaming it jumps over 80C.

GT 730 idle temps were like 30-35C and max around 70C. (maybe because GT 730 is using thicker heatsink)

3 hours ago, MinimumAttic410 said:

yes, apparently non of the official supported drivers work for GT 710. as I said, i need to test more with modded v344.75.

idle temps for GT 710 is around 54-55C, while benchmarking and gaming it jumps over 80C.

GT 730 idle temps were like 30-35C and max around 70C. (maybe because GT 730 is using thicker heatsink)

It's because there are two different variants of GT 710.

GPU Name NVIDIA GeForce GT 710

GF119S

GPU Variant

GF119-300-A1

Architecture

Fermi 2.0

Foundry

TSMC

Process Size

40 nm

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-gt-710.c2614